Web Pages using IIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Pages using IIS

Im trying to setup Homeseer so that I may use IIS to serve the Web Pages (Win2k pro). Could someone walk me through the setup? I would really appreciate it.

Joe Colson

[This message was edited by Joe Colson on Monday, 22 April 2002 at 03:22 AM.]

Joe, I am going through the same process at the moment, so maybe we can help each other.

I think a few others have tried this in the past but given up and gone back to using HS to serve the web pages.

I am persevering with using IIS.

Feel free to ask any specific questions; I may not have got that far or solved the same problems, but between us we might be able to nut it out.

David
    Adelaide, Australia

Comment

If you are willing to write your own pages then yes you can get IIS to server HS web pages. But the web pages HS currently servers by default are generated on the fly and can not be served via IIS.

-Rupp
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

David - I appreciate the offer. Ounce I get IIs working I will begain working on the ASP pages and Ill email you again.

Rupp - Thanks for the repsonse. In asking my question I was looking for help in starting IIS, I Know that I will have to write my own ASP pages and I look forward to the customization.

Joe Colson

Comment

Try this:
          * Right click on my computer and select manage.
          * Double click on Services and Applications.
          * Double click on Internet Information Services.
          * Right click on Default Web Site and select properties.
          * First thing I would do is to change the TCP port from 80 to maybe 81 or 8081.
          * Selct Ok.
          * Highlight the Default Web Site and hit the play button at the top of the Computer management form.
          * The default location for IIS is c:/inetpub/wwwroot/
          go to this directory and see if there are any html files there. There are normally a couple of examples. Try to vist one of these pages from the web if you have a connection active. It will be something like http://xx.xxx.xx.xx:81/page.htm

where the xx's are your ipaddress and the 81 is the port you selected. Let us know it this works and we'll go from here.

-Rupp
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Joe,

there are many excellent contributed scripts to be found in the Script Library hee on the message board. I have attempted to get a few of them working under IIS with varying success.

What I did find was the best way to test and debug this stuff is, for TESTING purposes, create a seperate vitual web server under IIS for each package/script you wish to convert.
            IE
            NowPlaing web server
            UltraStatus web server
            SecureLinks web server

and so on.

I did this to ensure one package's contents were not affecting the converting & access of other scripts.

Each one of these servers should be set up with different port numbers.

You should also keep track, and document any changes you make to each script as you test. This is because, you will more than likley have to repeat the changes anytime the origianl scripts in the library are updated.

Once you are happy that a contributed script package is working in the test web server, you should then port it over to your non-test web server, the one you will use as your 'production' status web server.

The conversions would be made much easier if script contributers were to write their code using certain conventions - however as most probably dont have access to an IIS installation, or have no interest in supporting users who do want to run them under IIS, its probably just wishful thinking.

I'm just glad that people are prepared to put in the effort to producing ANY scripts - and Im very grateful of that.

Perhaps, Joe, one day we might be able to contribute a document that spells out what is required for other users to port scripts over to IIS.

David Kings
            Adelaide, Australia

Comment

Joe,
              may I suggest, as a first attempt, that you download HS_IIS-20020324.zip, found in this message thread:
              http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...263#1062970263

written by Rob Brun.

This package contains a series of ASP pages written for IIS, which simulate the nomral pages found on the default HS web pages.

This would be a good first package to attempt to convert over to IIS.
              I found I had to do very little to get it to work (as it was specifically written for IIS), but taught me how to configure the settings in Global.ASA so that the ASP scripts could communicate with HS via the DCOM interface.

You will probably have problems with the DCOM access to HS, and the configuring of the global.asa file, but see how you go.

Compared with some of the other conversions, this one shouldn't take too long to set up.

If you tackle some of the more difficult conversions, you could be struggling for many many days without getting a satisfying result.

David
              Adelaide, Australia

Comment

Im trying to setup IIS, Im getting the following error any ideas whats causing it? :

You are not authorized to view this page
                You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.
                If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the localhost home page.
                HTTP 401.3 - Access denied by ACL on resource
                Internet Information Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

More information:
                Microsoft Support

Comment

Are you attempting to use my pages, or have you created your own?

In general, the thing to remember is that IIS runs under its own security context which doesn't have rights to do many things. If you plan to use the pages only internally, you can make sure you are an administrator on the machine, then in IIS for the web you created, turn Off Anonymous access and turn On NT Authentication. This way IIS will use your credentials to access resources. If you intend to allow public access to your web, that is a whole new can of worms. You have to go into the code and manage security on your own, or you'll have the whole world turning on and off your lights. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Rob

Comment

Yes I am. Thanks for the contribution its a big help. Using HS version 38 I did not have any trouble. When I switched to 40 Im getting the error below when attempting to open default.asp. In fact nothing that has to access HS information works. Your other ASP Pages work such as calculator.asp. :

The page cannot be displayed
                    There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
                    HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
                    Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
                    HomeSeer (0x800A0006)
                    Overflow
                    /Default.asp, line 44

Browser Type:
                    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0; T312461)

Page:
                    GET /Default.asp

Time:
                    Saturday, April 27, 2002, 2:25:16 AM

More information:
                    Microsoft Support

[This message was edited by Joe Colson on Saturday, 27 April 2002 at 04:01 AM.]

Comment

I had stayed on B38 due to some of the problems that have been discussed with B40.

I upgraded to reproduce your problem, which I was able to do. Reference this thread..
                      http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...4&m=1812998774

I was able to fix the problem by stopping HS, running homeseer /unregserver and then running RegClean twice. You can find RegClean by doing a Yahoo search for RegClean.Exe

After that, I still had problems with the UUID that is listed in the global.asa. You can find info on that in the ReadMe.Txt file that was included in my Zip. In effect, once you do the steps above, you should be able to change the line in your global.asa that references the UUID. The following should work for you, if not, follow the steps in the ReadMe.Txt.

<!--METADATA TYPE="TypeLib" NAME="HomeSeer" UUID="{CE134D29-FCC2-4391-8D39-3FD509E95282}" VERSION="1.1"-->

Rob

Comment

Rob,

I followed your instructions for the past 8 hours with no success. That is until I followed your instructions then did a reset of the computer..... Success, Thanks for your help.

Joe Colson

[This message was edited by Joe Colson on Sunday, 28 April 2002 at 03:55 AM.]

Comment

Now the fun begins! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Do we have any updated pages that run under IIS? Don't know if this has been asked before, but the pages previously posted were not complete.

Rob, have you been doing some more work on these pages? I would love to see what you have going on.

Mike

Comment

I don't think I have anything newer than what I posted. I will have a whole mess of new stuff in a few more weeks though I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X