Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is software firewall needed with Linksys router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is software firewall needed with Linksys router?

I just got a faster internet connection. Also I'm using a router now. Do I need to use a software firewall for security? Or does the Linksys router act as a firewall. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I have the forwarding set correctly to view my pages from the internet. The connection may even be fast enough for some graphics on the page. If someone wouldn't care to check it and let me know.
    Thanks

Tom
    Digihouse

IMO, the LinkSys's built-in firewall does everything most software firewalls would do, better. The one exception is monitoring for adware, spyware, and other unauthorized outgoing traffic; if you think it's important that you watch for those, a software firewall might be better at it.

Nucleus Home Automation
    News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

I've been running a web server via HomeSeer for about a year, with the PC behind a LinkSys router which blocks all but Port 80. No problems. Router never glitches.

Comment

.. to notify me of things going out to or connecting to the internet that I didn't initiate. For example I relucktently (sp?) downloaded real audio the other day to listen to a ballgame and it constantly is attempting to access the internet. It even downloaded another peice of software that was connecting.

-Rupp
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. This is new to me so it's greatly appreciated.

Tom
          Digihouse

Comment

I was browsing the Linksys site today and noticed that they are now bundling Zone Alarm Pro along with their routers

Linksys, Trend Micro and Zone Labs Announce A Complete Broadband Internet Security Solution For Home and Office Networks

<A HREF="http://www.zonelabs.com/pressroom/pressreleases/2001/linksys_tm_zl_release.html" TARGET=_blank>Trend Micro's PC-cillin antivirus software and Zone Lab's ZoneAlarm™ Pro Internet
            security utility is now available for download for Linksys 1- and 4-Port Routers
            </A>

My Configuration is here

[This message was edited by DSteiNeuro on Monday, 03 June 2002 at 11:45 PM.]
            DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
            BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Beware, the Linksys bundled version of ZoneAlarm only works for 30 days unless it's behind ONE of their routers. It has to be behind the same Linksys router at least once every 30 days.
              -Geoff

Comment

Ad-aware is free and scans for adware/spyware and removes it. This got rid of a lot of my problems.

First time I ran it, Kazaaa quit working (it is a "free" P2P program that installs adware/spyware even if you tell it now to) which is not a problem because I found Grokster and a web page that tells you how to install it with no adware/spyware.

If you pay $15 for Ad-aware, they give you Ad-watch that you either run continuously (small program) or right before you install new software.

Jim Doolittle
                Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                My Hardware & Software

Comment

The thirty day rule doesn't seem to be a problem unless you are using a laptop.

From Zone Alarm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you are interested in protecting additional PCs on your broadband network, you should purchase a ZoneAlarm Pro license pack specifically designed for use with your Linksys router. The Linksys license pack provides constant behind-the-router protection; however, protection is terminated if the security enforced laptop PC is removed from behind the router for more than 30 consecutive days. ZoneAlarm Pro protection is reinitiated once your laptop PC is again docked behind your Linksys router.

If you plan on protecting a laptop PC that is typically away from your Linksys router for more than 30 days at a time, you should consider upgrading to a standard ZoneAlarm Pro license pack. Click here to purchase a standard ZoneAlarm Pro license pack - at a discount too!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ad Aware is worth running on a regular basis. Usually the "spyware" is harmless but it is nice to get rid of it.

My Configuration is here [
                  DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

You can goto this site and get cleaned clients for Kazzaa and such.

http://www.cleanclients.tk/

This guy takes the 'spyware' out of them.

John
                    John

Comment

One thing I was never clear on with the LinkSys / Zone alarm setup was if you could have devices that don't have ZA on them behind the firewall. It sounded like if you enable this feature, all your machines behind the firewall also had to have ZA set up on them. What worried me is my Audrey and my Mac Laptop. No ZA for them, so would this setup still work.

My understanding was also that you needed to purchase something from ZA in order to have this work. DSteiNeuro, thanks for the additional information on this!

Bryan Nystrom
                      Natara Software, Inc.

Comment

I recommend that you spend the $40 for BlackIce and install on all your PC's. I have the same router and although it stopped 98% of the probes it did not stop them all and sometimes blackice catches somthing inbound that got past the router.
                        HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Check out a site that is dedicated to Internet security before going with black ice.

http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

You can also test your firewall there.

When you setup the LinkSys Zone Alarm, you can enter a range of IPs that the LinkSys will allow to run without Zone Alarm.

And yes, you do have to purchase something from Zone Alarms. The LinkSys only works with Zone Alarm Pro which you have to purchase. There is special pricing based on how many computers you will install it on.

Jeff Farmer

--
                          Jeff Farmer
                          HS 3, HSPhone
                          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Hi there

when i use a router browsing over the internet is great. But when i contact my own homepage its
                            much slower the without the router.

doe anybody has simular experience

grtx

Pieter

www.pietje.com

Comment

Working...
                            X