Question on ISP Assigned IP address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on ISP Assigned IP address

My ISP (Mediacomm) assigns my IP address. This is not a problem going out, but it is a problem if I want to link to my personal web page.

I have been thinking of trying this, but am not too sure how to do it.

I'd like to be able to "capture" my current IP address into a text file, then upload it to my web site where it would be referenced in a page that links to my home server. I believe that this could be done whenever my computer is rebooted or at least every day at a certain time.

To capture my IP address I thought I could do a ping name > ipaddr.txt then parse it for the address. Next I could upload it to my ISP web site.

Does this make sense? How would I be able to "include" it as a pointer to the web page?

----------------------------
    Dell Optiplex 300 128Mb 40G HD
    Win2K SP2 5Serial 2parallel
    Hawking and Creative Modems
    Broadband - Mediacomm
    Phillips Audio, standard video
    ATT Voices, HS/HSP, PhoneSwitch
    10/100 Ethernet, HouseLinc for IR
    CM11A for X10
    -------------
    GenevaDude

What is your network hardware lashup?

Broadband --> broadband modem --> ethernet card?

or

do you also have router with other systems?

Win2000 Pro SP2, IE6, 1333Mhz512KRam, PN576V, MR26a-B10, HS-B42, HSP-B17, VR/TTS-SAPI5ATT

Comment

Most people use a dynamic IP address fowarding service like www.dns2go.com (free) to handle this issue. You could get an address like yourname.dns2go.com and use that in your webpage. If your machine running homeseer does not have an internet routable IP address, then uploading its IP address won't work.
      Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Of course, it would need to be maintained.

Comment

I have had mediacom for ever and when they recently switched to MCHSI they stated they were going to go to dynamic ipaddress. That was 6 months ago and my ipaddress has changed only one time in 6 months. Make sure it changes before going to a lot of trouble.

-Rupp
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X