Link from differnt server on LAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link from differnt server on LAN

I have a webpage being served by apache on a linux box. I would like to place a link on this server to my Homeseer server. When I insert a link such as http://192.168.0.7 on the apache page it goes right to it from any of the internal computers on the Lan.

But from an external connection, it doesn't. How can I get the link to work without linking to directly using the public IP? When I link to it using the public IP it doesn't work from the internal side.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ray

You need to configure your router so that the external IP works even from inside. If you're using a LinkSys, you need a later firmware.

Nucleus Home Automation
    News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

I'm using a netgear rt314.

Comment

I would use a service like no-ip.com to resolve the internet address to your outside web server. This way all your links can be coded the same way. For example http://test.no-ip.com:8000/homeseer.html

This would work just fine from the outside but to get it to work from yoru internal LAN you can create a hosts file and add an entry like this:

test.no-ip.com 192.168.0.1

This way your internal hosts can always reach your internal static ip address and internet traffic will always be able to reach your outside dynamic ip address.

Let me know if you have any questions (todd@no-spam.toddlisa.com). This has been working for me just fine.

Comment

...you never have a device like a laptop or handheld which is sometimes on your internal network, and sometimes not. But virtually any router can be configured to use its port forwarding rules for internally originating as well as externally originating traffic; most default to doing so.

Nucleus Home Automation
          News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

On apache you can set the server to do reverse proxy this way whenever you type http://externalmachine/somename the server will automatically point to your internal machine, and all this is transparent to the user, it looks like the homeseer server is on the external side of the network even tho it isn't and all you computers should access it, there some limitations however, for examples only one layer of links works, if you try another link from the link you get a 404, the workaround is to hit the back button then choose the new link from the homeseer content.
            I hope this helps, I am using homeseer like this and I am very happy since it's very secure and convinient and this way I can use apache authentication instead of homeseer which I prefer.
            Regards,

Xmen

Comment

Working...
            X