Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a tool to find out what ports are open at work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a tool to find out what ports are open at work?

Anyone know of a tool that will show what ports are opened at our work place?

-Rupp
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Do a security port scan from dslreports

Comment

Here is anothr Port Scan also from DSL Reports

Comment

Beware that most companies monitor port scans and most of the time can trace those back to the initiated user, the security department of your company may not be too happy about it and you may get in trouble, it's not illegal I don't think, but it is views as a potential threat to the network.
        Ports that are usually open are: 443 25 80 8080 21 22 42 53 and sometimes 23 and lots of time non privelieged ports above 1000 something since some applications requires random high ports to be used.

Best way to find out with causing havok is to try to the telnet command like this:

telnet www.companyname.com portnumber

if you get a msg saying "connecting" right way that means that the port is open usually
        if you get "connection refused" right way that means that it is closed.
        This is my preferred way of port scanning it's very quiet.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Xmen

Comment

Incomming or out going ports? Usually internal computers can chose an unused port to operate on for their outgoing traffic. Incomming traffic is usually limited to a few ports that are associated with various types of servers operating on the system. Doing a netstat -a at the command prompt can often show you the ports your computer is curently using.
          Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Rupp, you're looking to see what outbound services you can do, right? You want to know what TCP port numbers you will be allowed to connect to when you're at work, right?

If so, then there is only two answers: 1) try everything you might want (requires attempting to hit a host with a working service on that port number); 2) ask your IT staff security folks - some would be cool with it if you made it clear what you were doing and what you are doing is not a bandwidth hog.

That said, I doubt they're going to be too crazy about your cameras...

Hope I'm on the track of what you're actually asking.

Cheers!
            -Gregory

(see profile for environment)

Comment

Working...
            X