Web access help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web access help please.

I have looked through just about every post listed here for solutions, but I still cannot access the web to control Homeseer – Either locally or from the internet. I am using Homeseer 1.6.0, Windows XP Pro, Internet Explorer 6.0, Cox Cable (which has a dynamic IP address), and a Linksys Router (BEFSR41). I have no luck either with or without the router connected. I’ve tried setting the server port to different settings, such as a random setting like 2757. I thought that I should be able to access the web server locally by using http://localhost:2757. No success.

I followed another Poster’s detailed six step process on setting up the Router and getting a www.no-ip.com static/dynamic IP address, web dynamic IP updater, and web redirect - with no success. I tried typing the router’s external IP address (http://xx.x.xxx.xx:2757) – (I obtained the external IP address from no-ip.com web dynamic IP updater utility) with no success. Even when I disconnected the router, and went from the computer straight to the cable modem, I could not access the web server. I always get a message “The page cannot be found” from Internet Explorer. I’ve disabled all firewall software. Of course I have TCP/IP installed, but do I also need any networking software installed. I think I’ve tried just about every suggestion listed here. I’ve been working on this for several evenings now. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

First off can you surf the web otherwise? What shows up when you keyin ipconfig in a DOS window?

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The web browser, e-mail, etc is working fine. Th IPCONFIG in DOS looks like this:

Connection Specific DNS Suffix: (is blank)
      IP Address:192.168.1.135
      subnet mask:255.255.255.0
      default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Note that the router is now connected.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Try this. Under the web server tab, uncheck Enable server. Check log errors. Set the port to 80. Now click on the world icon. You should get the Homeseer wizard ststing "the server is not enabled, click next to enable the server and start it" Click next 2 more times and it should be started on local host port 80. And the wizard should tell you the ip.

Comment

Make sure that in the advanced section of the local area network settings that the internet connection firewall is not checked.
          Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

If I understand your situation, your HS system is configured with a static address of 192.168.1.135

On your HS system, can you click on the globe, and get to your webpages, or is that not working? You need to get this working first.

From your second system on your local LAN, both connected on your router, can you ping that HS system address? From Dos command prompt, type ping 192.168.1.135, and it should come back 4 times with a reply from that address with a TTL=a number.

Win2000 Pro SP3, IE6, 1333Mhz512KRam, PN576V, MR26a-B1.1.617, HS-1.6.0, HSP-B52, VR/TTS-SAPI5ATT

[This message was edited by DaveB on Friday, 30 August 2002 at 12:33 AM.]

Comment

Dave B
              Clicking on the globe sends me to the “The page cannot be found” in Internet Explorer. Pinging was succesful, both to the Router's external IP and to my Homeseer computer IP.

Is it possible that my computer's port is somehow not enabled?

Comment

Isn't there a way to turn off XP's internal firewall?

-Rupp
                ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

See zoomkat's entry, I had this same problem in XP until I disabled Internet Connection Firewall.

Comment

I had to enable my ports on XP. Here's how:
                    To manually open a port:
                    Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
                    Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections. (Alternatively, you can right-click My Network Places and click Properties.)
                    Right-click the connection you use for the Internet and click Properties.
                    Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings.

NOTE: If the Settings button is unavailable, ICF is not enabled on this connection and you do not need to open any ports (they are all already open).
                    Click Add to open a new port.
                    Type a friendly name in the Description box, for example, File Sharing : Port 445.
                    Type 127.0.0.1 in the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network box.

NOTE: You can specify an IP address of an internal computer; however, in most cases you use 127.0.0.1.
                    Type the port number in the External port and Internal port boxes; in most cases this number is the same.
                    Click either TCP or UDP, and then click OK.
                    Repeat this process for each port to be opened.

Comment

Gotta get this XP situation resolved first, and then I can help on the rest of the network connectivity. Unfortunately, I don't have any HS and w/XP knowledge to assist here....but I think we're focused in the right area

Comment

I found out the reason is that cox cable blocks tyhe common ports like 80. I changed to port 79 and have no problems now. G'Luck

ThinkingSystem

Comment

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall

Open Network Connections (Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double–click Network Connections.)

Click the Dial–up, LAN or High–Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:

To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box. This disables the firewall, your computer and network are then vulnerable to intrusions.

Hey! Whata ya lookin at buddy! :P

Comment

Working...
                          X