Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you setup privledges to write to files using IIS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you setup privledges to write to files using IIS?

I hve converted my web pages to be served by either Homeseer or IIS, but those that make use of a database (or write to a file) choke with an error message that Microsoft's reference indicates is an privledges problem.

I'm running the IE6 client on the same machine as IIS/Homeseer and have set the IUSR_<machinename> user to be part of the administrator group. I have setup my IIS virtual directory that points to /HTML to have read/write/execute privledges.

What else needs to be done so IIS will let files to be written from asp pages? I have no problem with the same file being served by HS.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">An Active Server Pages (ASP) page returns the error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't use '(unknown)'; file already in use.
    -or-

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.
    This error can occur when the database is open in Access, or when a Visual InterDev project is open that contains a data connection to the database.
    CauseThis is a Windows NT permissions problem. The account that is accessing the page doesn't have sufficient permissions to lock the database. The account would be either the anonymous account (by default the IUSR_&lt;machinename&gt or a specific user account if the page has been secured for authenticated access.
    ResolutionIf the page is meant to be accessed anonymously, give the IUSR_&lt;machinename&gt; account full control to the ASP page, and the folder and files where the database is located. Additionally, if the path to the database is being referenced using UNC (\\Server\Share), ensure that the Share Permissions allow the IUSR_&lt;machinename&gt; account full access. This step applies even if the share is on the local Web server.

If the page has been secured such that the IUSR_&lt;machinename&gt; can't access the file or database, then ensure that the user's account that is being authenticated has full control to the appropriate folders and files.

At a minimum, the account being used needs Create, Destroy, Read, Write to work with the .ldb file. Specific permission can be applied to the database to limit access.
    </pre>

I think the error message may be misleading you to beleive that it's a permission problem, when it may simply be missing the filename. Thus, the ('unknown').

Comment

I've added an Apache server to my HS implementation for serving pages off my W2K Server along with HS to eliminate the M$ issues. If this works for you, it may be worth considering.

In case anyone cares to post it, yes, I know about the security issues recently discovered in Apache... but they don't come close to all the M$ issues.

I continue to run IIS, but do not make it available outside my network.

(see profile for environment)

Comment

Working...
      X