Exhausted: trying to setup XP/Firewall/cable web access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhausted: trying to setup XP/Firewall/cable web access

I have spent the day searchng the boards for any info on how to set up web access from an remote PC. I have XP running HS connected to roadrunner. I am using my dailup (compuserve) to test with. Does anybody have this type of setup?

TIA,
    michael

ps:I can access HS web via the house network.

Give your box behind a firewall a static ip, and make sure its in the range you specified for your router. Determine what port you are going to host on, and add that port to your routers Port Forwarding section. Forward that port, to the ip you gave your xp machine.Now, access your server by slappin this in your browser http://yourxpmachineiportuspecified

example http://168.152.12.12:4567

If that doesnt work after you have double-checked that you enabled web server in HS, go into your router config and put your xp box in the dmz, just to test. if it works, something is wrong with your port forwarding config. Make sure to turn off any firewall app u may be running on the client and the server, while you are testing. Once you get it to work once, start re-enabling your firewall apps until it chokes again, then you have a good place to start.

btw, dont host your homeseer server on port 80. You may be running IIS, which also runs on port 80. If that is the case, thats been your problem all along. Either disable IIS, or set your homeseer web to another port (preferrable).

Comment

Give us a bit more information on your setup. Are you running a router? If not then you should be able to bring up a DOS window and keyin ipconfig. This should give you your assigned ipaddress from RR. Then simply dial into compuserve and keyin the ipaddress and the port that you are running HS on if its different than port 80. Like http://14.234.22.345:81 should display your status page if you are running on port 81 and you have enabled the web server using Hs options.

-Rupp

Here's to all the unknown soldiers to whom we owe the freedom of today and everyday. Thanks.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

I made a mistake there. Do an ipconfig /all at a command prompt and jot down your default gateway. then use that number, followed by the port. So basically, when trying to get to the hs server, use http:/theipofyourrouterortnumber. I dont know how much you know about networking, so sorry if I was vague or assumed too much.

Comment

WOW, that was fast. Thanks! I have a XP box with internet sharing and firewall turned on, connected to RR, no-ip, 2 NIC's, 24 port hub. It is running HS. I have set the web port to 8181 (no idea why). I have 5 pc's in the house. On the house network I can access the HS web with no-ip.name:8181 and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8181. I can also connect with the RR IP:8181, but I not connect with the dailup CSI account. Could it be something in CSI?

tia,
          michael

Comment

I would recommend you purchase / make a firewall and keep that separate from your HS server. Firewall / Wireless AP / switch router combos are relatively inexpensive now ($50-150). Suggesting a combo firewall/router cuz this setup will let you provide wired and wireless internet / intranet thru out your house. A second method is to get an old PC (min of about a 233Mhz PII) put two NICs in it and turn it into a firewall ($50). You can load it up with a Linux based firewall that will run circles around most of the HW based ones out there for the cost of a download (free). With a software / hardware firewall you will want to NAT from the outside in. You can use DHCP for autosetting your internal IPs. Once you have your firewall set up then you can pass traffic to your HS box by setting the proper forwarding and port number on the firewall. Who is your ISP? Do you have a static or dynamic IP? Is your ISP using PPoE to get you into the internet?
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
            Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
            HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

If you are running ICS, you need to set it up for port fowarding to the computer on your lan, and probably assign static IP addresses to the computer on your lan running homeseer. I also suggest you get a cheap router like a linksys to be the gateway to the net. The extra security and easy setup makes it very worth while.
              Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

all, thanks for the replies. i thought there would be a way to have ics, icf and hs on one xp box.

Comment

MS ICS pretty much not too tweakable and adjustable. I would stay away....just noticed that Best Buy has a combo router, firewall, access point and switch for $49.99 after rebate. Good deal and easy to set up.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
                  Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
                  HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

You can get the portmapper application at the below site to foward incomming traffic to the internal IP address of the computer running the server software. Don't know if it works with homeseer, but others have used it with webcam software to get around havng to configure ICS for port fowarding.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...rk/pmapper.htm
                    Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Working...
                    X