Second password prompt for Homeseer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second password prompt for Homeseer?

I had a report from someone accessing my Homeseer server that they were presented with the normal login box (guest/guest) and then a second one came up which looks different. I asked him to send me a screen dump which is shown below. Pressing no several times got rid of it.

I have not seem this before - he is running XP home through a DSL router. He has been on my site many times before without problems. Any ideas?

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
    Attached Files
    Jon

This occurs for me from work on a daily basis. If I cancel the second password prompt I get the HS generated access denied message BUT if I select the back button in the browser it goes ahead and logs me in. It has something to do with the Realm and I even asked Rich about it at one time but I really didn't understand the problem in the long run.

-Rupp
    Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The first one is generated by HomeSeer, the 2nd one is something else - firewall software most likely, but it is not ours!

Regards,

Rick Tinker
      HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

hmm..most strange.

The only firewall software he is running is Zone Alarm. If he logs in on his other XP machine it does not appear.

Also, why would it appear after logging in to Homeseer?

Jon
        Jon

Comment

Jon,

Actually I had the same problem too when I visited your site few days back. I thought the login was for something else so I didn't tell you.

It seems though I login to Homeseer and I was able to browse your site anyway (with guest level access of course).

Thanks,

P.S. That login looks like a java applet.

Simon

Comment

Simon,

Very helpful..

You may of seen that I added a java LED display to my front page. I have no problem viewing this on any of my PC's or at work however...

futher discussion here reveals that he had to download Java from Sun.com and install that. I seem to now remember that Microsoft had to remove their implementation due to legal battles. I have never installed any java package, so I am wondering if this is the reason?

So do you use the Sun or Microsoft Java? If anyone else who visits my site and gets this login, please let me know.

Regards,

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
            Jon

Comment

Jon,

On the PC that I get the Java login, I have Sun Java 1.4.1 installed. This is the one from Sun and not from MS.

When I get home later on, I'll try on another PC which I don't have Java installed and let you know.

Thanks,

Simon

Comment

Hi Jon,

It's me again

I tried again with the same PC that has Sun Java 1.4.1 installed. This time I watch when exactly the login showed up and it seems like right after the LED background got loaded and just before it shows any text on the LED.

Just curious if the LED applet is trying to call home or something and is getting blocked by a login?

Simon

Comment

Thanks Simon,

Not sure I like the sound of this one. It just seems strange that the Sun Java implementation is the only one causing this problem. The java applet was written in 1995/6 and I cannot see anything when I googled on this.

I'll see if anyone else can come up with an explanation.

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
                  Jon

Comment

I have a similar problem. I run a java graphing app. My app graphs data from a text file in my HTML directory. It prompts me for a user/password when I access it from the web, but not when I access it locally. I am not sure why. I would love it if someone were to find out how to get rid of the second log on.

---rah!

Comment

Jon,

I tried on my Windows 2000 desktop and no 2nd login prompt. This PC I only have MS version of Java.

I guess the good news is it's not happening with your own PC

I search on deja too and it seems there's quite a number of posts about double login but these are referring to some java applets that people actually use for authenication.

I guess another thing that comes to my mind is the URL to your site. For the front page where you have the Java LED, it's not referenced to your IP address. However, if I navigate through the menu and go to other pages, it reveals the IP address on the URL.

The reason I say that is with the Message Server plugin I use here, when I try to modify the settings through the web from my home LAN, I always get prompted for Homeseer password. The reason is the URL:

http://localhost:1500/ms_setp

instead of:

http://192.168.1.10:1500/ms_setp

Simon

Comment

Jon -

I tried your site tonight and got the second login prompt. After poking and the yes and no buttons several times, my JVM was instantiated and the second login went away.

If I had to guess, and that's all it is, I'd spoz that your led (or whatever) files reside in filespace that prompts for login which is resolved by the JVM. Have you tried setting web security permissions to the particular file space that may alleviate the issue?

Comment

The second password screen looks very like the Windows XP Pro, not sure if it applies to XP, firewall security screen.

I have never had any problem entering Jonn00 site, but have encountered this screen on my internal LAN and very occasionally surfing the net.

I solved the problem. As I remember there is an option somewhare when that screen is showing to allow that address.

I agree with Rick that it is a firewall situation.

Gogs.
                          sigpic
                          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Well I temporarily removed the java applet and bingo - the second password login dissapeared!

Put it back and the second login came back! (Instant messaging really comes in to its own sometimes!)

So the conclusion is that the Java applet is causing the problem IF you are using the Sun java install.

Not sure what to do now - I rather liked the LED banner

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
                            Jon

Comment

It seems like Sun have added more security in their java package.

I found this on their site: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...rmissions.html

Not being a java person, Anybody?

Jon
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X