Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't want to use builtin web server, I want to use IIS. How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't want to use builtin web server, I want to use IIS. How?

Ok, I want to use IIS rather then the builtin web sever. How do I do this? I noticed the HTML files directiory but it doesn't seam to really have all the files that one sees when logging into the web page.

Futher to this I want to use Frontpage to enhance and edit the web site.

Beyond this I also want a diffrent version formated for my PocketPC with Wifi.

Thanks in andvance.

Oh, I should mention that I'm currently testing (trial) webseer, and the above funtionality will help me decide if the software is for me or not.

The built in HS generated web pages are created on the fly so they can not be hosted on IIS. You can however create ASP/HTML pages that simulate the HS pages. If you do a search on the board you can get literally dozens of asp, vbscrpt, and html page examples. The script library is an excellent place to start.

-Rupp
    Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

isn't IIS to bloated and high risk (security holes) for a home automation scenario?

Comment

I use frontpage for laying-out my HomeSeer pages, I just don't use the fancy stuff that requires frontpage server extensions.

I use framed pages, with my side and bottom frames targeting a center frame. The center frame contains the HomeSeer generated pages plus any plugin/script pages and my own custom pages.

If you use Webwrapper, you can get all of your homebrew and third party script pages to look like the homeseer pages and vice versa (to some extent). Look at my page (link in sig) and some of the other users pages in the forums.

Another great resource I use is a site called Dynamic Drive it has dozens of cut-and-paste scripts that will get your pages doing all sorts of neat tricks.

My HomeSeer
        John
        Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
        Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
        HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
        Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

I wrote a VB program and need to post some data to a web page like HS does. Does anyone know how HS does this so that I can do similar?
          thx

Comment

We could use a bit more information not knowing how you VB program "stores" the data. The HS web server can host ASP pages and asp pages can access most server side data. Give us a bit more info and we can go from there.

-Rupp
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Right now I just save it to a csv text file. About 30 data fields, added every 30 seconds.

I don't want to have every "client" running my app install HS just to get use of it's web server. I'd much rather put a web-server into my app.

thx

Comment

Search on the Inet for things like "web server OCX" or "how to add a web server to an application". I found www.dart.com that has a product called PowerTCP, a web server OCX for use in apps such as what you want to do (of course it's not cheap at $499).

There are probably open source tools using free software such as Apache. I think MS has something, too. Not sure what HS is using.

Here's some other info I found... http://koala.ilog.fr/phk/k-web/intro.html

- Gordon

"Security is EVERYONE'S business!"
                |
                | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

If your running any windows system you can activate IIS or PWS (Personal Web Server for win98). The normal route would be to move your app that reads and stores the data to a web server and then use this server to disseminate the data.

-Rupp
                  -Rupp
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the search tips. Did some searching on web server and OCX and found a number of "mini server" samples at planet-source-code.

This should be more straight forward (like HS) for the end user compared to IIS.

Comment

Working...
                    X