Web Access to HS PC with Dynamic IP NAT & Netgear MR814

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Access to HS PC with Dynamic IP NAT & Netgear MR814

I have two questions about setting this up, please.

(1) Is it important what the service name put into the router is? If so, what one do you use for it, please?

(2) With a dynamic IP address, it is still possible to find out what your real IP address is (for instance, by going to www.grc.com, Shields-Up!, and file sharing paths). Is is possible to address the HomeSeer server with that address and the port number set up in the Options file if you've done the port forwarding in the router to that port and that internal NAT (not the real) IP address?

Thanks for any assistance!

Karl.

Karl,

1) If you are talking about the service name for port forwarding, it doesn't matter what you call it. It's just a reference so you know what the port is used for.

2) If you are on the inside, you should not be able to access the HS server with your external IP, whether you are port forwarding or not. I've always heard it's a security risk to be able to go out and then come back in, from the inside of your network. If I'm wrong, I'm sure others will correct me.

You do have the option of using a free dns service like http://www.dyndns.org so you don't have to worry about what your IP changes are. You make up your own domain name (to an extent) and then just use your domain name and port# for access instead of an IP. My Netgear has an option for dyndns built in so setting it up took about 30 seconds and I didn't need any additional software installed on my PC.

Joe
    HomeSeer Rocks!

Comment

Joe,

Many thanks -- I'll sign-up and give that a try.

Karl.

Comment

Working...
      X