• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Web based Cell Phone or PDA that can display HS Web server and web cam

I am wondering if anyone has looked into
    getting a Cell Phone or Phone/PDA that has good
    enough graphics etc to let you login and
    check your personal HS Web Server. Be kind of
    cool. Your on the road your pager or cell phone has just alerted you to a security flag at home.
    Don't want to have to wait to get to the nearest
    pc. I know this is probably over kill and
    might even be still to costly. But I would think
    just around the corner as far cell phones/pda phone capable of doing this. I will be looking around at the product out now. But was wondering
    if anyone has already got this running.
    Michael

Take a look at Wapseer. It may suit your needs.

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
    Jon

Comment

I used my Ericsson phone all week from the Washington DC area to check my weather page that is automatically generated by Weather-Display. Works good but the graphics are minimal and for good reason. The data rate on a phone is normally nation wide roughly at a 9600 baud rate.

Check it out at http://12.219.146.15:8000/weatherpage/index.wml

Using http://www.wapemulator.com/index.php

-Rupp
      Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
        I used my Ericsson phone all week from the Washington DC area<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rupp,

And you didn't call me or Tink? C'mon! Next time, you better get in touch with one of us!

--David

Comment

I know I should have called but it was "balls to walls" as we say, the entire time I was there. Then we were abruptly asked to leave Wednesday night before the storm rolled in. I'll be back in the next few weeks and maybe we can meet for diner one night.

BTW where's Kemptown?

-Rupp
          Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
            I'll be back in the next few weeks and maybe we can meet for diner one night.
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be great. Heck, c'mon over to my place, and we'll have Tinkles over, too.

BTW where's Kemptown?
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's directly next to Damascus (about 20 minutes east of Frederick and 35-40 minutes north of DC). Here's a map you can zoom out on to get the big picture. I'll be glad to cart you out to our neck of the woods.

A note to the rest of you guys, don't forget your DC home automation buddies when you come to town.

--David (who lost power in the hurricaine and was de-lighted, but got it back last night, and is delighted!)

Comment

Rupp / others,
              I can not get my cell phone to pass the userid / password as part of the url string and am not able to pass a userid / password to HS via the phone. What am I missing that let's others use their phone to access secured pages on their HS-based web sites? I have them named .asp if that matters. I can't figure out how to "unprotect" specific web pages so I can get to them via my phone. I change them to htm and the scripts quit working, and so I change them back.

Any help would be appreciated.
              huggy(d1)
              huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Are you using wapseer or what? The pages I have made for wap access are hosted on IIS and do not require a login.

-Rupp
                Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food?

Comment

Using wapseer as a test and can't get to the page without user/password info. Problem is homeseer requires userid/password for all non-main default home pages and things outside my local subnet(s). I can't predict what subnet my cell phone's micro-browser will provide in advance to include that as a work-around either.
                  huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I would post this in the WapSeer topic area. I seem to recall this being discussed once before but I didn't follow it too closely. Have a look there for related discussions. If I run across the thread I'll post it here.

{{{{{{{{{ Update }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]
                    I found this in the WapSeer topic help section

"Logins/Authentication
                    This is another area where cell phone browsers differ significantly from desktop browsers. The HomeSeer web server assumes in several ways that it is talking to a desktop/HTML browser when it attempts to authenticate your connection, but your cell phone acts a bit differently. If you're having problems here (can't see the Main Menu page when you try to browse to WAPSeer.ash, or are prompted for a login at each page, or the page will not accept your login even if it's correct), you will need to disable authentication for your phone. To do so:

Point your PHONE at http://wapseer.carrotpatch.net/debug.asp . Note the IP address displayed on your device when you access this page - you're going to need it in a minute. In HomeSeer, select View/Options and then the Web Server tab. Enter the IP address in the "No password needed for the following subnets" and make sure the box is checked. Hit OK.
                    "

-Rupp
                    Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food?

Comment

Thanks for finding the workaround... is my phone supposedly always going to find the same address? I'll test the theory...
                      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I don't think the IP address on my phone has changed in six months. I use Sprint.
                        -Shane

Comment

I can't get HS to stop requesting a userid/password... I do recall how "particular" hs is to the subnet format. Why can't I simply plug in the entire ip address if it isn't going to change? I did go up a level ###.###.### and it still forces the login prompt (which I can't use), so I go up to ###.### and still .. nothing works for me.. I did as requested and found my ip address, and can see why it should not change... it's using all 65535 ports ! one IP address for a LOT of phones

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong...?
                          huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

What port are you running Homeseer on?

Comment

My redirector points to port 8000, which my cell phone accesses and I can see some the main page just fine. It's only when I try to access anything besides the main page.
                              huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Working...
                              X