Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Automation Web Interfaces

Hello All,

I'm not a Homeseer user (yet), but I'd like to get some opinion on the generic topic of web based front ends to Home Automation systems-

How many people are doing this?

Consider it the main interface?

If so, how do you overcome some of the issues associated with this method?

For example, web browsing is, by design, a user driven process where the user requests data and the server provides it on demand.

Home automation info however, in my experience, is more server driven - Some event occurs that would trigger a change in the browser display - outside of a user requesting it.

Some systems deal with this by using java applets, some simply refresh the browser on fixed intervals. How does Homeseer web interface update information related to typical automated items?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martin T:
    Hello All,

I'm not a Homeseer user (yet), but I'd like to get some opinion on the generic topic of web based front ends to Home Automation systems-

How many people are doing this?

Consider it the main interface?
    It's my main interface. I use a combination of the built in HS web pages, the newly released TouchPad interface along with several of my own asp pages.

If so, how do you overcome some of the issues associated with this method?

For example, web browsing is, by design, a user driven process where the user requests data and the server provides it on demand.
    Using the built in Hs web pages When the user clicks on a device to turn on the pages refreshes with the new status. The built in web pages also refresh with a user defined refresh interval. As far as "real time" updates I personally do not see an issue. If I want an update I refresh the page

Home automation info however, in my experience, is more server driven - Some event occurs that would trigger a change in the browser display - outside of a user requesting it.

Some systems deal with this by using java applets, some simply refresh the browser on fixed intervals. How does Homeseer web interface update information related to typical automated items?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Rupp

What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp -

Personally I DO see an issue with the user initiated refresh.

For example, on my current system, if someone calls, the browser interface announces the caller and changes the "Last caller" info without user intervention. In a case like this, it seems silly to have to refresh the screen to find out who the caller is.

Dynamic HTML updates seem important to me, am I missing the boat?

Also, using dynamic sound file updates to the browser seems like a great idea - My browswer interface in the kitchen can announce callers, and If I have the browser interface open at work I get the same announcements, even if the browser is minimized - this is how I would expect an application to work - as opposed to a web page.

DHTML can already achieve these effects without a "refresh", I was just curious how Homeseer implements this concept.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martin T:
        Thanks Rupp -

Personally I DO see an issue with the user initiated refresh.

For example, on my current system, if someone calls, the browser interface announces the caller and changes the "Last caller" info without user intervention. In a case like this, it seems silly to have to refresh the screen to find out who the caller is.
        Martin, If your using HS phone when a call comes in the user has the option to have a message box popup, as well as brodcast the phone to any or all pc's on the Lan.
        Dynamic HTML updates seem important to me, am I missing the boat?

Also, using dynamic sound file updates to the browser seems like a great idea - My browswer interface in the kitchen can announce callers, and If I have the browser interface open at work I get the same announcements, even if the browser is minimized - this is how I would expect an application to work - as opposed to a web page.

DHTML can already achieve these effects without a "refresh", I was just curious how Homeseer implements this concept.The built in pages for HS do not use much DHTML but thats the beauty of the scripting interface and asp support. Simply write your own page and apply all the DHTML with hidden Iframes to prevent refresh if this is what your after.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Rupp

What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

HS can also be interfaced via flash. This allows the client to request updates of whatever status at defineable rates. It's different than an html refresh because it only requests the specific data you ask for (built into the flash code), whereas html refresh rebuilds and reloads the entire page.

You can also do conditional refreshes. For example, if the value of x has changed then refresh y.

It's still not exactly what you want (HS to push the data), but it has a good amount of flexibility. Someone on this board has been writing a VB application to go on their touch screen interfaces which is smarter than flash and allows HS to push data. Sorry I don't remember the details.

Comment

Thanks Mike.

My current system uses a java applet to create a tcp connection to the server, which allows the server to update anything on the client as the server sees fit. This allows it to push speech to the client as well. I'm pretty used to this setup now, and just wondered if I can duplicate it if I move to Homeseer.

I notice you're in Austin. I'm in San Antonio. Did an Austin Homeseer group ever form? I'd be interested.

Comment

Working...
            X