HS Webserver truncating pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Webserver truncating pages

I noticed, while setting up HS as a web server, that when accessing from another computer on my network router, the main page would frequently show up as mostly bare text, without much of the formatting, and without most of the graphics. No backgrounds, rudimentary table layout, missing icons, etc. Occasionally, it would look perfect, just like when I look at it from the main PC. But most of the time, it was missing one or more elements. And some of the other pages, would occasionally refuse to load at all. Especially the Setup page. And the Help page would not load at all.

I thought at first this was just a glitch in the configuration or the setup somewhere. But now that I am back at work, and am trying to access from a computer outside my home network, the problem has grown more severe. It isn't just missing some graphics or formatting. The pages are actually getting truncated somewhere in the middle. Doing a "View Source" on the loaded page shows the html is actually cut off sometimes right in mid-word. Half the page is missing. I haven't a clue what can cause this. Is there a byte-limit somewhere? Or a time-limit? The pages load pretty fast, such as they are, so a time-limit would have to be a pretty short one. Clues anyone?

BT

What version of HS are you running? This is similar to an older report but was fixed in newer versions of HS. What OS are you running?

-Rupp

What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am using version 1.06.0177.

BT

Comment

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...4&m=2056017435

-Rupp

Comment

Rupp,

Thanks, but that thread doesn't really have much similarity to my problem. First of all, I am not having any other network problems. Second of all, I am using Win98se.

Also, there may be a related symptom. Occasionally, my computer will very briefly freeze up, for one or two seconds. There is also now a consistent loss of time on the system clock which would seem to be related. And I notice that my CPU usage is higher than I would have expected it to be. I have a 1.2GHz Pentium 3, but when I am doing nothing at all, the CPU is at about 30%. Occasionally, it goes higher. Shutting down programs does not seem to affect this usage rate much. Oh, and I have VR disabled on HomeSeer.

BT

Comment

Is the CPU usage caused by HS? If your CPU goes to 100% and sits there for a few seconds this can cause the system to loose time. This has been covered from time to time here. One recent thread that discussed HS running at 100% CPU was caused by the user polling 2 way switches on a reoccurring bases. This polling will normally take the CPU to 100% and keep it there for several seconds. Some very good ideas came out of the thread such as running some of the more processor intensive reoccurring scripts using window scheduler rather than HS. This will run the scripts in their own thread rather than tying up the HS thread.

-Rupp

Comment

I do see the CPU go very briefly (1 or 2 seconds) to 100% every time I click on a new link in MSIE. Although this is correlated with the "freezes", it is not a complete correlation. I occasionally see a freeze which is not related to clicking on links in MSIE and which does not show a corresponding 100% CPU usage.

Shutting down HS has a very odd effect. It eliminates the consistent freezes which result when clicking on a link in MSIE. But not the other less frequent freezes. But the strangest effect is that it results in the average, or idle, CPU usage INCREASING from about 30% to about 70%.

Comment

Yea. When I ran 98 this was a very confusing thing to me as well. Then I ran across a writeup on the web that explained that when 98 is idle it actually switches the CPU over to the system idle process which in-turn raises the cpu usage. Kinda weird.

How much memory do you have? I just did an experiment and started 10 browsers on my Win2k machine and they only took about 60% CPU usage. My start page is blank.

One suggestion I can give you is, if you can switch to Win2k or WinXP and you will never look back. HS runs so much more stable on these 2 platforms and the OS takes care of a lot of the problems you encounter in Win98. I would turn on your process monitor and keep an eye on the cpu usage and see if when HS runs a script how long it pegs the CPU though.

-Rupp

Comment

Well, I've been very happy with W98SE so I've resisted upgrading. For the most part, everything is accessible, simple, and it does what I need, and nothing more. Until now. W2k seems to require so much more overhead. I have 128Mb of memory. That's a bare minimum for W2k, as I understand it. And W2k takes FOREVER to boot on my work machine, which is theoretically faster. But perhaps I might give it a shot. I'll probably Ghost image my drive first, just to be safe.

Getting back to the truncating web pages, is there anything else I can try?

Comment

Well, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is I found what was causing the loss of clock time and the periodic freezes. I downloaded and ran TaskInfo2003 from IARSN. And immediately upon running the program an alarm popped up warning me that my system had 24,000 handles in use. The culprit was InCD, the CD-RW reader from Ahead Nero. I uninstalled that, and now my system no longer freezes, and the clock no longer is losing time.

The bad news is that HS webserver is still truncating web pages. Oh, and now I have no way to read or write CD-RW disks. Maybe W2k will solve all these problems. It better, I'd hate to go through the nerve-wracking experience up upgrading my OS for nothing.

BT

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by beachbum:
                      I downloaded and ran TaskInfo2003 from IARSN. And immediately upon running the program an alarm popped up warning me that my system had 24,000 handles in use. The culprit was InCD, the CD-RW reader from Ahead Nero. I uninstalled that, and now my system no longer freezes...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BeachBum, I ried Taskinfo2003 on my butt-dragging systemas well. My APC Powerchute software was using over 15,000 file handles all by iteself! I uninstalled it a reinabled win2k's native UPS management. Seems a little snapier now, although I think I have my PIII 800 running about all it can handle at the moment (so it's still not super-responsive).

Thanks for the tip, though!

John | My HomeSeer | HomeSeer Webring | See My Profile for system configuration
                      John
                      Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                      Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                      HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                      Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Beachbum,
                        It is likely your CD Writer will not work under W2K. The technology moves so fast that most vendors do not invest in new drivers for "obsolete" drives when a new OS is introduced.

Comment

I'm not yet using W2k, still stuck in the mud with W98SE. That is one reason I am resisting upgrading my OS to W2k. I've spent years getting my system working the way I like, and except for this HS Webserver thing, I'm happy with it now. W2k will almost certainly break things.

As for TaskInfo, I was surprised how much CPU capacity that program used all by itself. Almost 30%. Ugh. That doesn't seem right.

Comment

Hi,
                            you might want to look at burnatonce.com for burning.
                            Stuart

Oh, and now I have no way to read or write CD-RW disks. Maybe W2k will solve all these problems. It better, I'd hate to go through the nerve-wracking experience up upgrading my OS for nothing.

Comment

John,
                              Good catch on the PowerChute software. I just checked mine and also had nearly 50,000 handles open from that one process. I'm downloading version 1.3.1 from APC, and will let you know if it behaves better.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X