Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I connect to a local IP address via webpage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I connect to a local IP address via webpage ?

Hi all, if I have multiple servers run on a PC is there a way I can access them via the homeseer website remotely ? For example if I have a apache server on internal IP address on 192.168.1.10 can I point to this from a remote location. I guess there needs to be a way of serving the page through my PCs WAN address so that the remote site doesnt try to open the internal ip address.
    Hope I have made sense.
    Regards
    Darren

Darren,
    If your running a router you can forward your WAN ipaddress to multiple servers on a single machine/port. For example I have 3 web servers running on my Automation PC. On on port 82, one on port 8088, and one on port 8082. I can simply key in my WAN ipaddress:port# and my router will go to the correct sever and then I have access to all the exposed data on that server.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

HI Darren,

As far as I know, you can't use Homeseer to access your other servers remotely. The other way around is possible: you can use Apache to make multiple servers on your local network (including HomeSeer) available under one external ip-adress/one external port number.

This is the "reverse proxy" possibility of Apache, which in turn is often combined with the "virtual hosts" possibility.

For a better explanation, see Apache proxy documentation for reverse proxies. If you want to combine this with virtual hosts: see the Apache website for documentation. There is also some information on this bulletin board.

The thirth alternative is using a (hardware or software) router, as Rupp described. With this, you still use a single ip-adress to reach all your internal services, but would have to use multiple portnumbers.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Comment

Working...
      X