What to read-up on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to read-up on?

Total Newbie here about to jump in at the very deepest end.
    I'm looking into HS as my way of controlling a number of different things, probably via a touch screen in the future. As a result I want to be able to control the basics and get statuses from a simple-to-use front-end (rather than the quite fiddly HS web interface).
    I've been looking around the web discussions and seem to be getting more confused rather than less
    My HTML skills are OK, and I have some programming experience (BASIC, C+ +). I recognise that I need to add a fair amount of interactivity to any web pages that I put together for use as a simple front-end, but I'm getting confused between ASP, VBscript, JavaScript etc. I've just about managed to realise that some are client-side and some are server-side, but I'm not sure which is the most appropriate for me.
    Given that I'm going to have to go buy a few books and start studying, what would the Seers out there recommend? I'm eventually going to be more interested in simple graphical user interfaces on a touch-screen that will be running off a fairly small number of browsers (so don't have to worry too much about building sites to work in a number of different browser environments).
    If someone's feeling very generous, could you give a quick "Dummies guide" to these different options?
    Cheers,

Dan.

Dan,
    First of all welcome. Secondly I would recommend having a look at the Free Touchpad plugin. It looks good with a bit of style editing and is free and already "hooked" into HS. As far as web design goes I would suggest looking at an ASP book or two. Another goos source of learning materials is the script library. Download a few and study them. A very good web site for reference is http://www.devguru.com

If you have any other questions ask away and again welcome the the best home automation BB on the net.

Here's a screen shot of my touch pad interface in case your interested.
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

For the server side, VBScript and ASP is really similiar.

I would recommend this VBScript book.
      VBScript Book

It has a really good reference section.

For the client side a really good javascript book is:

Javascript Book
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

On some sites that I do for work I have VBScript in my ASP pages as well as plenty of Javascript becase they all do different things. You use VBscript for the server side scripting of your ASP pages. Basically, you write the actual code into the ASP page, then whenever someone requests your ASP page the webserver grabs the page, runs through all the VBscript and sends the resulting HTML and Javascript to the web browser. Javascript? Yes, Javascript too. That's a client side scripting language that controls how certain bits of your HTML page appear/act/etc. once they're on the end user's system.
        Hope I made things clearer and not the other way around......

Comment

Thanks Fireball,
          Yes I was starting to get a bit confused as to how VBScript, Javascript and ASP all fit together!
          Please humour me and confirm that I've got this right:
          JavaScript can do all the funky bits on the web-page at the client end (i.e. pretty dynamic buttons, checking and confirmation etc). Can be sent to the Browser by the ASP which runs on the server and sends a mix of HTML and JavaScript to the browser.
          VBscript runs first at the server end and sends the resultant HTML/script combo tothe browser. Need to do this at the server end because that's where Homeseer lives (a bit pointless telling my PC at work to send out X10 codes if the device is at home!).
          Any reason for learning both VBscript AND Javascript? Can I use VBscript client-side too (and hence stop my brain exploding)? As I said, the main aim is to use this in a fairly confined and well-controlled environment.

Thanks for the help and notes of welcome.

Dan.

Comment

Dan,
            You've got it. I wouldn't worry about the javascript when first getting started. Learn ASP and HTML and you can do most of what you need to do. Then when you want to get into DHTML you can get most any javascript code you need off the web and incorporate it.

Comment

Rupp,

What are you using as your touchpad in order to display that big of a image. I do not have any touchpad device yet but I would like to get one in the future.

TIA
              Cheers,
              Bob
              Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Bob,
                That's from my CF-01. You can use the touchpad control on any device that has a web browser though. I end up using this on my laptop more than any other HS interface.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Any reason for learning both VBscript AND Javascript? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  Yes, VBScript is server side and Javascript is client side. VBscript will run on the server and tell the client what text and images to display. Javascript will tell the browser how to display the text and images that it gets as well as how to have the page interact with the end user.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Can I use VBscript client-side too (and hence stop my brain exploding)?
                  <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  Yes but if you run it on any type of touch screen or any other browser other than Internet Explorer it won't work which is why Javascript is so popular.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Thanks for the help and notes of welcome. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  You're welcome!

Comment

Rupp,

Will the touchpad interface work on a regular laptop (just not have the touch ability)?
                    Cheers,
                    Bob
                    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Here is another fantastic resource for asp coding. Full tutorial!

asp Tutorial

-"Computer turn on the bedroom lights"
                      Response: "I have added bean sprouts to your shopping list"
                      Visit My Home Seer Site at:
                      www.JohnWPB.com
                      Created with LCARS

Comment

The two sites that I always have open when I program are:

EXCELLENT SITE!!!
                        www.w3schools.com &lt;-- Tutorials and references for HTML, ASP, ADO, Javascript, DHTML etc

www.devguru.com &lt;-- Reference for VBScript

Hope this helps!

Doug W.

Comment

Working...
                        X