Works :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Steven mention,

It appears that the MS IIS resource kit only works with XP professional and 2003 server.

Could someone running XP home try to install and test just the SelfSSL portion of the resource Kit?

It may not run unless you have also installed IIS, but for the purpose of the MS docs, they claim it will not install in the Home version.

Thanks

Rene

Comment

Ok, here's another way I just did it thru XP Pro and MS utility called Makecert:

1. Download: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...s/makecert.exe
      2. Generate signing authority:
      makecert -pe -n "CN=Homeseer Root Authority" -ss my -sr LocalMachine -a sha1 -sky signature -r "Homeseer Root Authority.cer"
      3. Generate your key:
      makecert -pe -n "CN=DOMAINNAME" -ss my -sr LocalMachine -a sha1 -sky exchange -eku 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1 -in "Homeseer Root Authority" -is MY -ir LocalMachine -sp "Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider" -sy 12 homeseer.cer
      Note: Replace DOMAINNAME with the fqdn or internal machine name
      4. Double click on both of the .cer files you just created and install them
      5. Start/Run/MMC
      6. File/Add-Remove Snap-In
      7. Click Add, choose Certificates and then Computer Acccount, accept all the following defaults and hit Ok
      8. Select Certificates/Personal/Certificates
      9. Select the certificate that should be listed as DOMAINNAME from above, and right click on it and choose export
      10. Click next
      11. Click "Yes, export the private key" and click next
      12. Uncheck all of them and click next
      13. Enter a password
      14. Select the export file name, ie server.pfx
      15. Copy the server.pfx file to the root of your Homeseer directory
      16. In Web Setup specify the password from step 13.

Worked here as a test, let me know.

-Mike
      Last edited by mloebl; October 11, 2005, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Mike,

You either have it or are extremely close to it. I am on my way out of the house and will not be able to test it until tonight.

I agree with you and the certificate will either work on your LAN on the Internet, but not both because of the FQDN. But who who want to use SSL from inside their home?

You may need to be a little more descriptive and maybe add some pictures and then put it on a downloadable file (PDF?) and send it to RICH or RICK for their blessing before it is release to the public. Let me know if you want me to check it also, but as I said, I will be out until tonight, I will be able to check the Forum, but will not be able to test it.

GREAT JOB

Rene

Comment

Originally posted by Rene
          Mike,

You either have it or are extremely close to it. I am on my way out of the house and will not be able to test it until tonight.

I agree with you and the certificate will either work on your LAN on the Internet, but not both because of the FQDN. But who who want to use SSL from inside their home?

You may need to be a little more descriptive and maybe add some pictures and then put it on a downloadable file (PDF?) and send it to RICH or RICK for their blessing before it is release to the public. Let me know if you want me to check it also, but as I said, I will be out until tonight, I will be able to check the Forum, but will not be able to test it.

GREAT JOB

Rene
          Rene,

I can see about doing some pics tonight and expanding the instructions. I had found some bits and pieces in about three different sites to get those instructions. Steven last night went thru it and we got it working so I added steps as he ran into issues. In the end it worked as well, so there are a few options which is good. Thanks again to Rich and Rick for literally making it plug and play.

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Rene
            Thanks Steven,

I has downloaded the resource kit a while ago, and was not sure where it was located.

Have you tried the basic cookbook?

Rene
            Rene,

Due to running 2000 Pro, I was unable to follow your cookbook, but did follow Mike's instructions, assisting in making clarifications in sections.
            I have it working

Great Job Mike

Steven

Comment

Rene,

Not to get too far off topic, but with the 1996SSL build installed. Does your email portion work ?
              I seem to have it broken at this point in time, as none of my outgoing emails are working since upgrading. Just wanted to check before submitting a trouble ticket.

UPDATE: Found out that my email provider was having intermittent issues that finally totally broke. Build 1992SSL version email works OK.

Steven
              Last edited by karls; October 12, 2005, 04:24 PM. Reason: fixed issue

Comment

Steven

I am glad is working for you, remember I said that I was a HS newbie, I only have HS 2.1996ssl as you know, talking to my Caddx alarm and a few mostly timed events.

At this point with limited time, I will only install 1 additional funtion at a time until I really feel confortable with it. Reliability is a must, both for my peace of mind and WAF

What does the email portion does?

Rene.

Comment

Rene,

I use the email portion to send email to my cell phone to indicate status of items like the freezer temp getting too warm, system armed or disarmed, etc.

Steven

Comment

Working...
                  X