• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSH Configuration

I have the instructions

(Creating and Installing Certificate
    This has worked with both Windows XP and Windows 2000 Pro:

Automated Installation by Mathewb and Rick Tinker
    The attached certfiles.zip is everything needed to create and install a certificate to use SSL with Homeseer.
    From the command line run the file runme.bat followed by a fully qualified machine or the local machine name.
    Example:
    Runme MyHSMachine.no-ip.com
    or
    Runme MyHSMachine

Manual Installation
    The above install should be enough to get most people going. Below is the manual steps if you want to understand what it is doing.
    1. Download: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...s/makecert.exe
    2. From the command line generate the signing authority:
    makecert -pe -n "CN=Homeseer Root Authority" -ss my -sr LocalMachine -a sha1 -sky signature -r "Homeseer Root Authority.cer"
    3. Also from the command line generate your key:
    makecert -pe -n "CN=DOMAINNAME" -ss my -sr LocalMachine -a sha1 -sky exchange -eku 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1 -in "Homeseer Root Authority" -is MY -ir LocalMachine -sp "Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider" -sy 12 homeseer.cer
    Note: Replace DOMAINNAME with the fqdn or internal machine name. This could be either a foo.dyndns.org name, registered domain name, or internal computer name
    4. There should now be a homeseer.cer and "Homeseer Root Authority.cer" files created, double click on both of them and install them when prompted. It's normal for the warnings, so click ok thru them.
    5. Go to Start, then Run, type MMC and hit enter
    6. From the File menu choose Add-Remove Snap-In
    7. Click Add, choose Certificates and then Computer Acccount, accept all the as the defaults and hit Ok
    8. Select Certificates, Personal and then Certificates
    9. Select the certificate that should be listed as DOMAINNAME from above, and right click on it and choose export
    10. Click next
    11. Click "Yes, export the private key" and click next
    12. Uncheck all of them and click next
    13. Enter a password
    14. Select the export file name, ie server.pfx
    15. Copy the server.pfx file to the root of your Homeseer directory
    16. In the Homeseer Web Server setup specify the password from step 13.) ............

After running the .bat file, I do not see a method of converting , or renaming the files created to allow the https configuration usable with HS.

Has anyone found a working step by step? I have created the files but where they go and which renamsing is not clear?

I want to use a non standard port . How do I configure this?

Thanks in advance.
    HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

ssh configuration bump

move to the top ... haha

Comment

I use a separate SSH program, and just tunnel in with putty.

--Dan
      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

SSH configuration

So you tunnel to HS port / over FW .... got that part but how does putty & present a web page, go together? (putty is an SSH client / terminal?)

What engine do you use on the HS side to encrypt for the tunnel?
        I would think a ssh server on HS would be needed?

I want to create a secure connection to HS, what software components do I use?
        Lets say I want to tunnel HS on port 80 over port 1020.

HS -> Firewall -> INTERNET <- Client Firewall <- Web Browser.

HS - encrypt HS data -- port forward what? to client side ?

An explaination of how to do this is appreciated

Richard

Comment

I use FreeSSH as my server
          Then I use putty as the client. I enabled port tunneling on the server, and use putty's configuration settings to port forward through the ssh tunnel.

So long as you forward your SSH through your firewall / router properly, you are good to go.

This way you don't have to be dependent on HS, and you can router other things through the SSH port, like remote desktop, or VNC, or whatever you want.

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
          X