Work with Tripplite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work with Tripplite

I bought a Tripplite UPS connected via USB to a PC. I installed APCUPSD and this PI. It appeared that APCUPSD should work with the Tripplite or am I wrong? The APCUPSD appears to show connected then COMMLOST. Before I drive myself crazy can someone point me in the right direction please.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 01-12-19 at 12.32 PM.PNG
Views:	314
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1275334

Did you install any other software that came with the UPS? You'll need to uninstall or disable that, since only one application can connect to the USB port at a time.

Running on Windows? If so, the device manager should have device as shown.

Name:	apcupsd devmgr.PNG
Views:	344
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1275406

Comment

Per pictures looks like you installed apcupsd and working fine, which is the first step and therefore should work with the HS3 plugin. Next install the apcupsd plugin HS3, enable it and go to the menu plug-ins > apcupsd > configuration and click "Create Instance". A new tab will appear to populate the details for the UPS connection (the HS3 plugin can connect to multiple ups drivers on different computers). Fill out the Host with the name where apsupsd is running (3187-Security host from above pictures I believe), the port should 3551 by default and select APCUPSD in Monitoring Type, and check the Enabled checkbox. Then navigate to the plugin page plug-ins > apcupsd > status and see if it shows up. HS3 devices are automatically created.

If upcupsd and the HS3 apcupsd plugin are not running on the same host, you might have to check firewalls and ensure hosts (3187-Security in your case) can be reached from the HS3 server and at port 3551 (port 3551 is not blocked by firewall).

Comment

I never had any luck with my Tripplite UPS. It needed their proprietary software to work - Powerlite or something... I'm not speaking of this plugin in particular. I gave up and bought an APC which windows recognized natively.
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

No software came with the UPS. I went online and downloaded the PAL software not knowing any better. I uninstalled and deleted all references to tripplite in the registry. Now installing APCUSPD and seeing where it takes me but I still see the same COMMLOST and don't see APCUSB in the device manager. Confused. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 01-12-19 at 06.32 PM.PNG
Views:	312
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1275435

Comment

You may want to try NUT with the Tripplite: https://networkupstools.org/ddl/Tripp_Lite/.

The APCUPSD plugin supports NUT as well. Which model UPS is it?
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

For APCUPSD, you have to manually install a driver. I think these are the instructions that got me thru last time I had to do it.

https://www.experts-exchange.com/que...Windows-7.html

Comment

zwolfpack - That all makes sense except I don't see a "American Power Conversion..." under HID devices, only under Batteries. Uninstalled the batteries driver and I don't see any way to install the driver as an HID device. I even tried "Add Hardware Wizard" to no avail.

Name:	Screen Shot 01-13-19 at 06.17 AM.PNG
Views:	306
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1275525

Comment

Could be your UPS isn't APCUPSD compatible. Quick search doesn't turn anything up that say it is.

As sparkman says, this plugin supports NUT as well, and there appears to be a NUT driver for Tripp lite (whether it supports this particular unit isn't clear though).

Comment

I uninstalled APCUPSD, PAL and Java. Then installed just the PAL software. It works fine although not what I wanted. However, even the PAL software comes with a price. It is forcing the CPU to an average 35%. That's ridiculous. Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to have to rethink all this.

Comment

Working...
                      X