apcupsd newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apcupsd newbie questions

Nice plug-in! I was about to write some code to monitor apcupsd and send HomeSeer device changes via http, but glad I found your plug-in first!
    Some questions:

1. By default, for all apcupsd devices, Location 1 (Room) and Location 2 (Floor) are "APCUPSD" and unassigned, respectively. Is it okay to change Location 1 and Location 2 without affecting the apcupsd plug-in (just wanted to confirm before changing them)?

2. I added my first UPS. By default, the name of the UPS is "UPS1" and all devices are prefaces with "UPS1". I assume there's no way to change the name?

3. In the configuration page, all Trigger and Reset related parameters are 0 by default. As long as we don't (yet) need to create events that use these parameters, I assume it's okay to leave them at their default values of 0?

4. In the configuration page, are the High/Low Load Trigger, High/Low Load Reset, High/Low Charge Trigger and High/Low Charge Reset values all in terms of percentage?

5. What is Nominal power in configuration page used for? By default, it is 0. When I run apcaccess on my Linux server, apcaccess reports "NOMPOWER" of 360 Watts. Do I have to enter this in the value in the configuration page?

Thanks.

Thanks for your comments. Regarding your questions:

1. Yes you can change the location as appropriate. I do not on the several UPS devices I monitor.

2. The plugin does not rely on the specific name to find devices but rather on the device type/subtype (which cannot be changed in the UI); I think it should be fine to change them but have not tried it. I chose to use UPS1, UPS2, to make them generic as the hostname for example to avoid issues if the hostname changes fro example.

3. Yes it is ok to leave them to their default value of 0

4. The values are not percentages but absolute values. Appropriate values depend on the entity (Voltage, Load, etc) and the usage

5. The Nominal Power setting is used to compute the usage and add it to the Energy Database (HS3 menu View > Energy) if enabled (check box just below) AND the Nominal Power is not reported by the UPS via APCUPSD or NUT. You can see if the Nominal Power is reported to the peplum via APCUPSD via the menu PLUG-INS > APCUPSD > Status. Some UPS devices do not support this but is needed to compute the calculated Energy. See https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...2&postcount=44 for some discussions about the usage.

Originally posted by randman View Post
    Nice plug-in! I was about to write some code to monitor apcupsd and send HomeSeer device changes via http, but glad I found your plug-in first!
    Some questions:

1. By default, for all apcupsd devices, Location 1 (Room) and Location 2 (Floor) are "APCUPSD" and unassigned, respectively. Is it okay to change Location 1 and Location 2 without affecting the apcupsd plug-in (just wanted to confirm before changing them)?

2. I added my first UPS. By default, the name of the UPS is "UPS1" and all devices are prefaces with "UPS1". I assume there's no way to change the name?

3. In the configuration page, all Trigger and Reset related parameters are 0 by default. As long as we don't (yet) need to create events that use these parameters, I assume it's okay to leave them at their default values of 0?

4. In the configuration page, are the High/Low Load Trigger, High/Low Load Reset, High/Low Charge Trigger and High/Low Charge Reset values all in terms of percentage?

5. What is Nominal power in configuration page used for? By default, it is 0. When I run apcaccess on my Linux server, apcaccess reports "NOMPOWER" of 360 Watts. Do I have to enter this in the value in the configuration page?

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X