Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Cost & Tracking IAM Device Usage

Hi

I have just ordered an ENVIR, two extra clamp modules, and 6 IAM plug in modules. I run HSP on Windows XP SP3 and I live in the UK.

I would like to use the ENVIR plug in modules to detect when certain devices are running. As an example I have a new dishwasher and I'd like to detect when it is running but as the unit is new I do not want to open the device up to connect anything to it to detect when it is running. My plan is to connect the dishwasher via an ENVIR plug in module and this will allow me to monitor to current consumption of the dishwasher and therefore tell HS if it has been powered on and is working.

I will also use 3 clamp on leads on one ENVIR transmitter to detect the power consumption of various ring main circuits in the house. I have plenty of room in my fuse box to attach the clamps to the live wires that feed the circuits I wish to monitor. I would like to trend this clamp data, though I may use Jon00s excellent graph script for this as I do not want lots of new devices creating for this function, which might be the case if I understand the forums correctly.

I have read through the forums about using the HS plugin and also Mr. Happy's script. What is the consensus as to what HS in interface is the best to use? I've read that there are CPU usage issues with the HS plugin and that is also creates many devices. I only need a device per sensor to show the current power consumption of the unit so I can write some code to check for changes, I do not need graphing facilities. it looks like Mr. Happy's script would be best for this but as I've not used either method yet I'd like some feedback on which method most people use. Can Mr. Happy's script use 3 CT clamps on one transmitter? I think the HS plugin can.

Thanks

In the spirit of full disclosure then no the script I wrote (ignore anything from 2007 when I was first playing with it, look at the later vb.net stuff) does not support individual channels (it adds up all of the channel data to one sensor), neither does the plugin I converted the script into. The only reason was it would end up being a right pain in the proverbial development wise (for me somewhat an amateur like me), I think there were also some issues with non-UK users who use two clamps on a single transmitter and then this will measure the total useage (so you have some people that want split channels and some who don't). I also (in the plugin) go against the grain and advice of HS creating more devices than I perhaps should, I keep meaning to re-write some of it.

I use the IAM's with just the plain Envi, they work but there is nothing special about them - useful for when you want to know if something is on/off. I still have the three of them connected but I find them of limited use, after a month connected to something like a fridge/PC you find the power consumption is pretty much the same.

If you have scripting abilities then you could just write a small script yourself to update a few device strings, its really not hard to do with the serial data as its relatively painless to deal with.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your message. I have been travelling and so I've only just picked the message up.

I see what you mean about the units being of limited use. When I arrive home I will install your script and I can work around the fact if doesn't support multiple sensors via one transmitter.

Many thanks for your reply and your assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert.Twildge View Post
        Hi

Thanks for your message. I have been travelling and so I've only just picked the message up.

I see what you mean about the units being of limited use. When I arrive home I will install your script and I can work around the fact if doesn't support multiple sensors via one transmitter.

Many thanks for your reply and your assistance.
        Drop me an email if you want anything, i've been messing with the CC meters for a while and know the XML output quite well so I can edit things or show you how to create a script yourself...

Comment

Working...
        X