Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin development - Interest?

Hi,

Back in 2014, Rien and myself have developed this Plugwise Pro plugin. As Rien was also the owner of the original Plugwise (non-Pro) plugin, I believed it was only fair to have Rien as the primary contact. I developed all the the code for the original stick and plugs, and Rien developed the Stretch and SmileP1 portions.

Now, 5 years later, Rien doesn't actively develop HomeSeer plugins anymore. As you might have noticed, all of his plugins have moved to the "Legacy" part of the updater, as he is unable to support them currently. So I reached out to Rien asking what to do with our Plugwise Pro plugin. I think it would really be a waste to have a great plugin like this removed, as I think it still has a lot of happy users (including myself).

With the permission of Rien, I can take back ownership of the plugin. There is just one issue; I stopped developing free plugins. So any future release would be a paid version.

I have some ideas about a next version, like splitting single devices into multiple devices (Z-Wave style, with a root device) so access to status, and power info (current and total) would be more easily accessible. Being able to reset power info more easily and by using events might be an option as well. And perhaps there are other features you can come up with that I might consider incorporating.

Also, support would be picked up again. I have a good track record of being supportive to my plugins, and I would certainly do that for this plugin as well.

Anyway, please let me know if there is still (enough) interest for this. And if moving to a paid model would be a problem for you. If you have any good ideas for a next version, let me know as well so I can consider them.

Thanks, Stefan.
    stefxx

Note: I will not force users to move to a new, paid version. If you are happy with the current version, just stick to it. I will rename the plugin to avoid confusion but will re-use or migrate existing devices to the new plugin as much as possible to avoid issues with events, scripts etc. I only need to come up with a new name... Plugwise and Plugwise Pro have already been used. Any suggestions? What about Plugwise Power? Plugwise Advanced? Plugwise v3?
    stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
      Note: I will not force users to move to a new, paid version. If you are happy with the current version, just stick to it. I will rename the plugin to avoid confusion but will re-use or migrate existing devices to the new plugin as much as possible to avoid issues with events, scripts etc. I only need to come up with a new name... Plugwise and Plugwise Pro have already been used. Any suggestions? What about Plugwise Power? Plugwise Advanced? Plugwise v3?

Ofcourse it will not be a problem if this plugin will change to a paid version. Programming new features and support will take time, so no problem for me.
      what about plugwise next (generation)? and add also the new thermostats to a plugin (adam/lisa/tom)

Comment

Not sure I am going forward with this. Interest seems to be quite low...
        stefxx

Comment

Not sure I am going forward with this. Interest seems to be quite low...
          not everyone can/will find this topic, i guess you know how many people are using the plugin right now.

Comment

Just found out about this thread. I own a original set which is driven by the source program and i would like to continue to use this with hs3/4 (now on HS2). No problem if it's paid once for a version + fixes. New version again payment, no monthly/yearly subscription please.

Comment

Development has started. I hope to release a first version in a week or two. It should support at least the same devices as the current version does, but better. Main goal is to simplify and stabilize. It would look more like Z-Wave devices (separate devices for status, power usage, etc) that would also eliminate the need for specific script functions and event trigger functions. Detection of new devices is greatly improved as well.

Expect a one-time payment of USD 39,95, including fixes and if everything works out fine, support for additional/new devices.
              stefxx

Comment

Sounds alright to me. First need to get HS3 alive. Also saw the unify plugin so I really need HS3 up and running.

Comment

Does it still use the source software or will it control the plugs directly?

Comment

The source software is only required when making changes (add or remove modules) to the Plugwise network when using the Stick. For normal operation, Source is no longer used. And when using a Stretch or other network device, no Source is needed anymore. Not only is this (much) faster, but it also allows the plugin to run on Linux.
                    stefxx

Comment

If anyone is interested in testing the new plugin, please see here: https://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12449

Thanks!
                      stefxx

Comment

The source software is only required when making changes (add or remove modules) to the Plugwise network when using the Stick. For normal operation, Source is no longer used. And when using a Stretch or other network device, no Source is needed anymore. Not only is this (much) faster, but it also allows the plugin to run on Linux.
                        Thanks for clearyfing. Does the stretch software handle the circle devices?
                        If so, how to obtain the stretch software?

Comment

There is no stretch software, everything is configured with the Web Interface or the Plugwise App.

But if you currently use the Stick, I don't see any advantage to move to the Stretch. I guess it is just a personal preference, as the Stretch is an network device instead of the Stick that has only a USB connection. Especially when using Switch or Scan devices, stick to the Stick as the response time will be much faster.
                          stefxx

Comment

Ok, as soon as I have the HS3 running I'll install source and test (and purchase) plug in

Comment

I just found this topic, looking for an other one.
                              I used the Plugwise Pro almost from day one Rien has introduced it and it is really working perfect!
                              What are the benefits of the new one 4.xxx?

Comment

Working...
                              X