Can't get it to work with HS4 and EAGLE-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get it to work with HS4 and EAGLE-100

Is this combo supposed to work ? I have tried both the local and the cloud method. Neither work I just get an instantaneous demand reading of 0 Watt.
    I'm new to Homeseer, in my trial period for HS4, so not really sure how to diagnose. Running on a Raspberry Pi 4 / 8GB..

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

FYI , this is what I get when trying to use the local method :

2/23/2022 13:19:09
      Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      DEBUG Sending 'POST' request:

2/23/2022 13:18:54
      Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      ERROR System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponseFromData (System.Net.WebResponseStream stream, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x0017e] in :0 at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.RunWithTimeoutWorker[T] (System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] workerTask, System.Int32 timeout, System.Action abort, System.Func`1[TResult] aborted, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource cts) [0x00118] in :0 at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse () [0x00019] in :0 at HSPI_RainforestEagle.Eagle100GatewayLocal.SendCommand (System.String command) [0x00084] in :0

2/23/2022 13:18:54
      Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      DEBUG get_usage_data0xd8d5b900000039c7

And this is what I get when I using the remote method :

2/23/2022 13:19:55
      Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

2/23/2022 13:19:40
      Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      ERROR System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponseFromData (System.Net.WebResponseStream stream, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x0017e] in :0 at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.RunWithTimeoutWorker[T] (System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] workerTask, System.Int32 timeout, System.Action abort, System.Func`1[TResult] aborted, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource cts) [0x00118] in :0 at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse () [0x00019] in :0 at HSPI_RainforestEagle.Eagle100Gateway.SendCommand (System.String command) [0x000e1] in :0

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      DEBUG get_current_summationJSON

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

2/23/2022 13:19:39
      Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      ERROR System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponseFromData (System.Net.WebResponseStream stream, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x0017e] in :0 at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.RunWithTimeoutWorker[T] (System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[TResult] workerTask, System.Int32 timeout, System.Action abort, System.Func`1[TResult] aborted, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource cts) [0x00118] in :0 at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse () [0x00019] in :0 at HSPI_RainforestEagle.Eagle100Gateway.SendCommand (System.String command) [0x000e1] in :0

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      DEBUG get_priceJSON

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      DEBUG get_instantaneous_demandJSON

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

2/23/2022 13:19:24
      Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      DEBUG get_current_summationJSON

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      DEBUG get_priceJSON

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle

Legacy-Plugin
      RainforestEagle
      DEBUG get_instantaneous_demandJSON

I know I have the correct IP for the local method. And correct ID / password that work at www.rainforestcloud.com .
      Not sure what I could be missing.

Comment

For the cloud method, did you find the Cloud ID from the portal ?
        If you can't figure it out, you can email me (spud.webb.4@gmail.com) your cloud user/password and I can try to see if I can make it work on my HS4 system

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
          For the cloud method, did you find the Cloud ID from the portal ?
          If you can't figure it out, you can email me (spud.webb.4@gmail.com) your cloud user/password and I can try to see if I can make it work on my HS4 system
          Yes, I got the cloud ID from the portal. I'll email you.

Comment

Thanks for the email. I found the issue (the requests sent to the API is missing a User-Agent header), and I fixed it. Not sure why it was working before though.
            Please install version Beta 3.0.0.9 of the plugin and test using the "Legacy Eagle" type with user/password as you sent them to me, and cloud ID without the colons, then wait for at least one poll cycle for the device values to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
              Thanks for the email. I found the issue (the requests sent to the API is missing a User-Agent header), and I fixed it. Not sure why it was working before though.
              Please install version Beta 3.0.0.9 of the plugin and test using the "Legacy Eagle" type with user/password as you sent them to me, and cloud ID without the colons, then wait for at least one poll cycle for the device values to be updated.
              Thanks. I just tried it. I'm no longer getting errors with the "Legacy Eagle" method. It looks like new data is starting to get collected. I can see it in the Energy graph.
              I don't see any of the historical data that's still available in the Eagle (and is flushed when it's unplugged).
              Is it supposed to get downloaded later on or not ? It looks like my Eagle has been up since January 28, the day I moved it from powerline ethernet to a Wifi bridge.

Is the data collected only in real-time ?

What happens if HomeSeer temporarily reboots ? Will data from the Eagle that accumulates during that time be lost ?
              I understand Eagle itself will lose data when rebooted, there is no way around that, except put it on a UPS, which I haven't yet, but should. My Pi4 where HomeSeer is running is on UPS.

Comment

OK, it's been running a few hours now. I think the data might be inverted between grid imports and exports.

My Bolt was charging last night between the hours of 2am -7am. You can see the high usage. But it's showing as negative cost.
                My solar PV was producing during the day, and causing net exports to the grid between 8am - 3pm hours, and that's showing as a positive cost.

Click image for larger version

Name:	homeseer2.png
Views:	157
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1529480

Comment

If you select "Today KWH" in graph type instead of "Today $", what do you see? Is it correct?
                  I think the problem is that your Price per kWh reports a wrong negative value of -1E-15 USD.
                  You can manually set a a price from the Eagle settings which should fix the problem.

Comment

There seems to be some serious bugs in the Energy tool. Switching the radio button between usage and cost causes both radio buttons to be checked. Then, the page refreshes after 5-10 seconds, but HomeSeer still shows the previous graph, or no graph at all. Definitely a problematic UI.

This is what the graph now shows in HomeSeer :

Name:	homeseer4.png
Views:	141
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1529626
                    The graph is wrong. There is still negative data in the middle of the night which is wrong. I think it's because my Eagle had issues last night .
                    I rebooted it this afternoon.

It was showing the following :

Name:	eagle4.png
Views:	124
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1529627
                    Unplugging/plugging back fixed the issue. I had never seen this problem in my 7 years of owning the Eagle.
                    I'm not sure what caused it. I am also evaluating HomeAssistant, and some requests from HA could have caused it to corrupt.
                    Or it could be the HomeSeer plug-in requests . I just don't know.

This is the historical data the Eagle is showing now after reboot :

Name:	eagle7.png
Views:	144
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1529628
                    There is a straight line from about 2am to 1:30pm today, which I think is the period the Eagle was berserk, and the data was lost.
                    Obviously, some of the issues are on the Eagle itself. Perhaps I need to stop using HomeAssistant temporarily and determine which software is causing the Eagle to go crazy.

Attached Files

Comment

I stopped HA from accessing the Eagle, and haven't seen the problem with the device going bonkers again, so the HA integration must have been causing it, not your plug-in.

Comment

Originally posted by madbrain View Post
                        I stopped HA from accessing the Eagle, and haven't seen the problem with the device going bonkers again, so the HA integration must have been causing it, not your plug-in.
                        Never mind - the issue happened again, once yesterday, and once more today, without HA using the Eagle. Power/consumption data wasn't uploaded to Wattvision either, it was just lost.

I contacted Rainforest support about it. They claimed to have fixed some config files on my device, but unfortunately not so.

Comment

Never mind - the issue happened again, once yesterday, and once more today, without HA using the Eagle. Power/consumption data wasn't uploaded to Wattvision either, it was just lost.

I contacted Rainforest support about it. They claimed to have fixed some config files on my device, but unfortunately not so.
                          So, I disabled the HS4 Rainforest plug-in a week ago. I haven't had any more issues with the Eagle since. Unfortunately, I have to conclude that the HS4 Rainforest plug-in caused the problem to occur, unfortunately. It doesn't happen immediately - it takes a few hours or a few days - so it is hard to trace. I have no visibility into the root cause. Rainforest support says this legacy device is out of support at this point, and if it's a bug on their side, they won't be able to fix it. Sigh.

FYI, I made a donation to pvoutput and set it up with Wattvision. Eagle uploads its data to wattvision. pvoutput downloads the data from Wattvision, as well as from Enphase Enlighten. I can then see my actual consumption like this :
                          https://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id...88&dt=20220310

Both of these are done through cloud, rather than directly with the devices. I wish there was a way to do this that didn't involve cloud.

The legacy Rainforest Eagle-100 has a local API, but it seems to be broken.

The legacy Envoy-R lacks a local API altogether, and Enphase removed the local API from newer revisions of their Envoys, also. The Envoy-R has a basic HTML home page which reports instantaneous watts.

There is no plug-in for HomeSeer to download Wattvision or Enphase data through the cloud at this time.

Another way to obtain meter data is to download it from the utility. The PG&E website allows downloading CSVs . greenbutton also has a cloud API. I am not aware of any plug-in for HomeSeer. I tried to setup GreenButton, but it requires a URL for a cloud service to publish the data to. Any HomeSeer plug-in would need to download that data from the cloud.

https://www.energy.gov/data/green-button

Comment

FYI, I enabled the Rainforest plug-in in HomeAssistant, and got the same error within a day about "Please contact support". Looks like both the HomeSeer Eagle plug-in and HomeAssistant plug-in are triggering the same problem with the Eagle. Unfortunately, the device is EOL and the company is going to fix it.

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but with this hardware, it looks like only upload to Wattvision works properly at this point. I don't know what other hardware might work, but I'm not inclined to buy the newer revision of the Eagle.

Putting a smartplug on the old Eagle and having it forcibly reboot the device once or twice a day might work around the issue, but I would still lose a couple of minutes of meter data a day during the time it takes for reboots. Not an ideal solution. Smartplugs are a lot cheaper than a new Eagle rev 2, though.

Comment

Putting a smartplug on the old Eagle and having it forcibly reboot the device once or twice a day might work around the issue, but I would still lose a couple of minutes of meter data a day during the time it takes for reboots. Not an ideal solution. Smartplugs are a lot cheaper than a new Eagle rev 2, though.
                              I set a smartplug to reboot it every day at midnight and noon on wednesday night. Even that wasn't good enough. The HA Eagle plug-in stopped getting updates at 8:37am today. It started getting data again at noon after the scheduled reboot. Presumably, the HomeSeer plug-in would have suffered the same fate.

The Eagle's own UI is not showing any data between 8:37am and noon. It just shows a line between two points.

Interestingly, Wattvision shows data between 8:37 and noon, which means the Eagle continued to upload while it was in that state.

I was asleep during that time, so couldn't check it out myself. I'll try to increase the frequency of reboots to 4 a day. Not a good sign when a device misbehaves after just 8.5 hours, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X