Iotawatt support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iotawatt support

Ultrajones, any chance you could build in support in this plugin for the iotawatt 16 input energy monitor? See here: https://iotawatt.com/. It's only $129, compatible with the openenergymonitor system, and WAY more modern an implementation compared to the Brultech units, and did I mention much cheaper?

It also uses a wide variety of CTs from different companies so you arent stuck with just a few options...

chrisB wrote a script for HS ( https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/en...tt-to-homeseer ) read the sensors from the iotawatt, but it's an open source based product and has good support on a number of other HA systems...

Thanks,
    Mike

This looks like a nice cost effective alternative to Brultech. If there was a plugin for this I would buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
      This looks like a nice cost effective alternative to Brultech. If there was a plugin for this I would buy it.
      I think with a good plugin, no one on the HS platform would buy the Brultech anymore. It's a way more modern implementation, more flexible, and cheaper too.

thanks,
      mike

Comment

The Iotwatt is cheaper, but that's its only advantage. It has fewer inputs than the Brultech GEM, and is much more limited in CT choice - fixed load resistors, so causes input clipping with some CTs.

I fail to see any advantage in being newer. The Brultech uses custom circuitry which is accurate and has low power consumption. The Iotawatt uses an off the shelf micro PC with custom input circuitry and probably has similar power consumption. The main advantage of the Iotawatt is that it has a built in OEM server and can easily be made to talk to an external OEM server, and it's easy to get the data from that into HS, or whatever else you want. I'm afraid that I can't see any reason for claiming a difference in flexibility - they both measure power consumption and they both have the flexibility to send that data wherever you want it to go.

I bought an Iotawatt to replace a custom Arduino power measurement device, and had to remove it as I came across the input clipping problem. It also had an issue with data extraction, but that was an incompatibility with an OEM version. Reverted to the Arduino system with a Brultech GEM for the main measurements.

Summary; they are both good systems, with pros and cons for each. Brultech does not deserve the bad mouthing that you are giving it.

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with the GEM but I'm always on the lookout for a cheaper simpler way to do what I need to do. I am not really interested in tracking power consumption as much as using current draw as a trigger for Homeseer events. I want to do this on a lot of circuits that are dedicated to large appliances like washers, dryers, ovens, water pumps, and dishwashers. Since I have more than one of each of these the cost per input is important. GEM is fine on my main panel but I could use something cheaper for sub-panels. The Aeotec Z=Wave power monitor is cheap if you only have one input that you need to monitor on a sub-panel but as soon as the circuit count goes up that solution gets cost prohibitive. A multi-input device with a lower cost per input than Brultech or Aeotec does seem like a worthwhile thing to pursue.(At least for me.)

Comment

Originally posted by billt View Post
            The Iotwatt is cheaper, but that's its only advantage. It has fewer inputs than the Brultech GEM, and is much more limited in CT choice - fixed load resistors, so causes input clipping with some CTs.

I fail to see any advantage in being newer. The Brultech uses custom circuitry which is accurate and has low power consumption. The Iotawatt uses an off the shelf micro PC with custom input circuitry and probably has similar power consumption. The main advantage of the Iotawatt is that it has a built in OEM server and can easily be made to talk to an external OEM server, and it's easy to get the data from that into HS, or whatever else you want. I'm afraid that I can't see any reason for claiming a difference in flexibility - they both measure power consumption and they both have the flexibility to send that data wherever you want it to go.

I bought an Iotawatt to replace a custom Arduino power measurement device, and had to remove it as I came across the input clipping problem. It also had an issue with data extraction, but that was an incompatibility with an OEM version. Reverted to the Arduino system with a Brultech GEM for the main measurements.

Summary; they are both good systems, with pros and cons for each. Brultech does not deserve the bad mouthing that you are giving it.
            I wasn't trying to badmouth the Brultech GEM. It's a nice box, but it's expensive, but it's got an esoteric interface for pulling data out, and certainly is running on a very "mature" hardware design. I came very close to buying 3-4 of them because of my distributed panels.

Buy the Iotawatt is open source, and is constantly being developed. It doesn't use a micro PC, it is based on a ESP8266 microcontroller, has networking built in, and can be communicated with using JSON and modern web interfaces. It's a very up to date hardware and software design, and no charge for the wifi port, and yes, it's cheaper, which should result in a user base growing with more utilities to support it.

Maybe the clipping issue is a problem for some configurations, but I think most smart home folks would be very pleased with the device over the Brultech.

Now if we can get an easy to use plugin for it... Thogh using MQTT may be the ticket here.

thank you
            mike

Comment

Hello Mike,

I am sorry, but I don't have the time to develop support for hardware I don't own. I tried it in the past, but it takes too much development time.

Regards,
              Ultrajones
              Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Working...
              X