Missing Something Obvious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Something Obvious

Recently changed routers and in reorganizing ended up putting Homeseer on a new reserved IP address. I knew I would need to adjust the settings in my GEM to point to the new Homeseer location but somehow I have broken something and cannot figure out what... I didn't change anything except the new IP address for Homeseer but I just can't get them talking. There are no errors in the plugin starup so I assume there is still an error in the GEG configuration? I have of course restarted the GEM and restarted Homeseer. Here are screenshots of the configuration screens. 192.168.0.14 is the correct new address for Homeseer.

Hopefully somebody looking at this will see the obvious error that I am blind to...

Click image for larger version  Name:	HS Log.png Views:	0 Size:	19.2 KB ID:	1486447

Click image for larger version  Name:	Plugin Manager.png Views:	0 Size:	41.2 KB ID:	1486444Click image for larger version  Name:	ECM Config.png Views:	0 Size:	42.8 KB ID:	1486445Click image for larger version  Name:	GEM Network Utility.png Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	1486446

Edit: More HS Log Info

Click image for larger version

Name:	More HS Log.png
Views:	141
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1486449

I'll attached a screenshot of my GEM ethernet only setup below. All I did was type the IP address and port # and click open. I didn't need to include any subnet, gateway, server IP, etc

Name:	GEM.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1486497

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
      I'll attached a screenshot of my GEM ethernet only setup below. All I did was type the IP address and port # and click open. I didn't need to include any subnet, gateway, server IP, etc

Name:	GEM.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1486497
      The subnet and server fill in automatically when you hit search to find the GEM on your network. Probably not a required step. But if you don't specify the Server IP how do you tell the GEM where Homeseer is so it can send data to it? I see you have Ethenet Mode set to mixed so I am going to try that to see what it does. I know it wasn't hard when I originally set this up but that was a long time ago and I don't remember what I did different.

Comment

Tried to match your settings using the Homeseer address in the top section and nothing below. Partial success but still have a checksum error and no data flow. I don't see anything in the GEM utility I can adjust that would affect Checksum.

Name:	GEM Utility 2.png
Views:	130
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1486515

Name:	HS Log 2.png
Views:	134
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	1486516

Comment

Changed the settings to use the lower section and was again able to connect but no data flow and the same checksum error. Could the packet size be wrong?

Name:	GEM Utiliy 3.png
Views:	134
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1486522

Name:	HS Log 3.png
Views:	136
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1486523

Comment

That is odd. I tried to duplicate filling my network boxes using search and nothing happens when I try to search. I have my GEM setup with a static IP on my network so all I do is fill in the Local IP and port hit connect and I can view data no problem.

I am in the same boat unfortunately. I haven't touched anything in quite a few years so I am guessing here too. Here are a couple more screen shots of my system. GEM packet setup and Ultra's ECM setup page. Hope this helps?

Name:	GEM1.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1486534

Name:	plug in setup page.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1486535

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
              Tried to match your settings using the Homeseer address in the top section and nothing below. Partial success but still have a checksum error and no data flow. I don't see anything in the GEM utility I can adjust that would affect Checksum.
              Mike I just noticed you mentioned using the Homeseer address. You would use the IP address of the GEM on your Local network not HS IP address.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post

if you don't specify the Server IP how do you tell the GEM where Homeseer is so it can send data to it?
                Ultra's ECM3 plug in will poll for the data. The GEM doesn't need to push the data to Homeseer. Do not need to list server IP

Comment

OK so I am confused. If you don't specify the address of Homeseer then it should not have broken anything when I changed Homeseer's IP. The IP for the GEM did not change. I tried to find the screens you posted but only get this:

Name:	GEM Setup.png
Views:	133
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1486556

Comment

You are correct if GEM is on same local network you wouldn’t really need to change the GEM settings. Not sure why you cannot see any data on the GEM webpage. That is where I got my first screen shot.

my second screenshot was from the plug-in.

My firewall did ask for my permission when I loaded Brultech’s GEM utility if that’s any help.

I left my workstation so can’t help until later today. Good luck you must be getting closer.

Comment

For completeness these are the ECM settings but they have worked for years so no reason to think they need adjusting.

Name:	ECM Settings.png
Views:	130
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1486571

Comment

Restarted the ECM3 plugin and got something new. Not sure what this means:

Name:	New Error.png
Views:	129
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1486575

Comment

Problem solved. Somehow either I changed the Primary Packet Format from 4 to 5 OR I was using an older plugin version that worked with format 5 and did not switch to 4 when I hit the plugin upgrade button while trying things to get it working. Whatever the reason if anybody else starts seeing checksum errors first check that the primary packet size is correct.

Thanks to will40 for putting me on the path to a solution!

Comment

Working...
                          X