Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CharlieWayne
    replied
    Whoops, with temps like that I just assumed that you were talking about the attic. Reading back now I see you referenced your garage.

On another note, maybe a Mitsu wall mounted A/C unit would help that garage. Those units have a Seer rating of like 24-28. Anyways.

Heres those pics. --> http://forums.homeseer.com/showpost....3&postcount=13

Leave a comment:

• Monk
    replied
    Could I get the link to the install pics, please?

Leave a comment:

• swanie2000
    replied
    No I haven't monitored temperatures in the attic. I have a two story home, and the GEM is going in the garage, not the attic.

It will be mounted on the north wall, that has shade by 12pm for the rest of the day. It will not be open to the outside wall, but rather it will be open to the inside wall of the garage, with concrete stucco over plywood as a barrier.

It does get hot in the garage, but it has insulated garage door panels to keep the heat down.

I think the GEM will be fine in there, and I will monitor the inside cabinet temperature of the GEM with a 1-wire sensor just to be sure.

Worst case is I can always pull cool air from the shaded north side of the house, up through the bottom of the GEM enclosure, and vent any heat out into the garage with a small fan, if needed. I am not going to do this step, unless the temperature sensor monitor inside the gem cabinet gets too hot.

I did see your pictures of the GEM install with all the blue cat5 connectors. Looks very neat, nice job.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieWayne
    replied
    I posted some pics on another thread of what we did with the extension. Each CT has its own pair of CAT wires leading to a Patch Panel near my GEM. It is in the Patch Cables going into the GEM where I stack the CTs per each channel.

Yes you are correct that it uses a little more wire, but I thought it would be the cleaner approach if I desired change. For example, when I first bought the GEM, it used all 32 Channels on just 1 of my Main CB Panels. Today learning that some of those circuits either consume so little electricity Or having each circuit on its own channel is not necessary for Home Automation respects I decided to change it up.

So now instead of buying a 2nd GEM, I simple used 26 Channels for 1 Main Panel and 6 Channels for a Second Main Panel. The only thing I had to change was the Patch Cables between the Patch Panel & GEM. Tomorrow might bring further changes if we decided to monitor in detail our Sub Panel in detail, but change would be easy.

On another note, you could mount it within a Structured Media Panel in the living or garage area IF temps were in issue. One thing I wish was different with the GEM was that it would have been 1/4" narrower. When mounted in the SM Panel you can not use both side of the SM Panel when the GEM Cover on. Being the GEM is mounted in the Panel its merely cosmetics to have the GEM cover on.

Have you monitored temps in you AZ Attic, cause 120 seems low for your area?

Manual J suggest higher temps then 120 depending on your building material plus even more being your in NV. Look up your building material starting at page 326 and will have a code of 16A through 16F
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/211756713/...ad-Calculation

Leave a comment:

• swanie2000
    replied
    Originally posted by rprade View Post
    With the total maximum consumption of around 4-watts I don't see how the GEM could ever produce enough heat to make the inside of the enclosure warmer than the outside. I have a onewire sensor inside my enclosure (a weathertight sprinkler controller enclosure) and it always tracks within 2 degrees of the measured outside temperature.
    If the GEM it's self doesn't produce much (if any) heat, then I know the electronics can handle the ambient temperature.

My concern was if the GEM produced it's own heat, (processor or other device mounted on a heat sink)and needed to shed it's own heat with that heat sink. If that was the case, the ambient temp of the hot garage would make it hard for the GEM to shed it's own heat, and that could lead to a failure.

Regular circuits that do not produce heat can easily handle 120 degrees ambient temp. But a CPU processor will quickly shoot right past that temp in about 1-2 minutes of operating. They need a dedicated heat sink, and fan to keep them from destroying themselves.

It appears the garage will be a suitable location for the GEM.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Originally posted by swanie2000 View Post
    I am in contact with Ben from Brultech. He didn't think the garage heat would be an issue. I am considering mounting the GEM inside an empty metal breaker box. Then I will use a 1-wire temp sensor to monitor the temperature inside the GEM enclosure. If it gets too hot, I will mount a small PC fan to vent the heat back into the garage. I just need to figure out a way to switch the fan on/off as needed. I am still in the design stage of this project, so every idea is still on the table. I am going to move forward with this project soon, as I just got my solar PV system installed. I want to monitor the output of my panels, and not just trust Nevada Energy to be fair with me.
    With the total maximum consumption of around 4-watts I don't see how the GEM could ever produce enough heat to make the inside of the enclosure warmer than the outside. I have a onewire sensor inside my enclosure (a weathertight sprinkler controller enclosure) and it always tracks within 2 degrees of the measured outside temperature.

Leave a comment:

• swanie2000
    replied
    Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
    We extended our CTs some 30 foot so we can mount out GEM between both our Primary CB Panels.

Moving inside is not an option?
    Yes, I did think of moving it inside near my HS3 machine, and it would be about 30-40 feet I am guessing to get the CT's back to the electrical panels. I have more than 32 things I want to monitor, so I will have to double up on a few items to make room. Still, that is 32+ extensions I would have to run. It would be 8-10 cat5 cables with 4 pairs each. Sure it can be done, but it would be a lot of work.

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    The GEM runs very cool, total energy consumption is about 4 watts. No heatsinks no hot processors. Ben at brultech said the accuracy had only been tested to 100 degrees, so you might have a variance in accuracy at higher temperatures. Having been involved in electronics service for the last 40 years, I would expect that the GEM device can take temperatures in your garage without damage. I live in Colorado, so we will not see the temperatures you will at the high end, but my GEM is mounted outside and saw temperatures of -15 this winter without a hiccup.

If you want it from the horses mouth email ben at the brultech.com domain. He is usually quick and concise in his response.

I am in contact with Ben from Brultech. He didn't think the garage heat would be an issue. I am considering mounting the GEM inside an empty metal breaker box. Then I will use a 1-wire temp sensor to monitor the temperature inside the GEM enclosure. If it gets too hot, I will mount a small PC fan to vent the heat back into the garage. I just need to figure out a way to switch the fan on/off as needed. I am still in the design stage of this project, so every idea is still on the table. I am going to move forward with this project soon, as I just got my solar PV system installed. I want to monitor the output of my panels, and not just trust Nevada Energy to be fair with me.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieWayne
    replied
    We extended our CTs some 30 foot so we can mount out GEM between both our Primary CB Panels.

Moving inside is not an option?

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Originally posted by swanie2000 View Post
    I have been searching, and even sent an unanswered email to Brultech about the operating temperature of the GEM(greenEYE Monitor).

My concern is I really need to locate this GEM unit between my main circuit breaker panel, and my sub circuit breaker panel.

It is located in the garage, and the summers here in Vegas, are brutal. The garage temp could hit 120 degrees.

Will this GEM unit, live through the hot summers here in Vegas?
    Has anyone installed their unit in these hot conditions?
    What about some type of cooling fan?

I have several insteon appliance modules installed in the garage, and working fine for years, so it is not impossible for electronics to survive the heat.

How hot does the Brultech GEM run? Are there any processors on the board, with heat sinks?

Thanks for any input you may have!
    The GEM runs very cool, total energy consumption is about 4 watts. No heatsinks no hot processors. Ben at brultech said the accuracy had only been tested to 100 degrees, so you might have a variance in accuracy at higher temperatures. Having been involved in electronics service for the last 40 years, I would expect that the GEM device can take temperatures in your garage without damage. I live in Colorado, so we will not see the temperatures you will at the high end, but my GEM is mounted outside and saw temperatures of -15 this winter without a hiccup.

If you want it from the horses mouth email ben at the brultech.com domain. He is usually quick and concise in his response.

Leave a comment:

• swanie2000
    started a topic Brultech GreenEYE Monitor Users - Please read

Brultech GreenEYE Monitor Users - Please read

I have been searching, and even sent an unanswered email to Brultech about the operating temperature of the GEM(greenEYE Monitor).

My concern is I really need to locate this GEM unit between my main circuit breaker panel, and my sub circuit breaker panel.

It is located in the garage, and the summers here in Vegas, are brutal. The garage temp could hit 120 degrees.

Will this GEM unit, live through the hot summers here in Vegas?
    Has anyone installed their unit in these hot conditions?
    What about some type of cooling fan?

I have several insteon appliance modules installed in the garage, and working fine for years, so it is not impossible for electronics to survive the heat.

How hot does the Brultech GEM run? Are there any processors on the board, with heat sinks?

Thanks for any input you may have!
Working...
X