Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Works for 6 minutes... then nothing for 6 minutes... repeat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Works for 6 minutes... then nothing for 6 minutes... repeat

    Hello,

    I have both a GEM and an ECM-1240. Initially I had just configured the GEM but needed more circuit coverage so today I also configured the 1240. I'm having a problem where data is received, charted properly and transmitted to SEG correctly for about 6 minutes. Then for six minutes nothing happens, no updates to SEG, no updates of the loads, etc. Then after six minutes it starts working as normal again. I've installed wireshark and can verify that the packets being sent are the same size during the working periods and non-working periods. I haven't been able to decode the packets to inspect the payload.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Ben

  • #2
    Take a look at this thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172810. I believe this is the same problem we worked through before.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hello Ben, are you talking only about the posting to SEG or are you also seeing that from the data sent from the Brultech ECM devices?

      Regards,
      Ultrajones
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

      Comment


      • #4
        The problem was with receiving any data from the devices. I've tried JMJones settings and am now watching to see if that resolved the issues.

        Thanks
        Ben

        Comment


        • #5
          Ben,
          Did you manage to fix tis problem? What settings did you end up using?
          Marty
          iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

          BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mminehan View Post
            Ben,
            Did you manage to fix tis problem? What settings did you end up using?
            Marty
            I used JMJones settings and it looks like all is good now.

            Ben

            Comment


            • #7
              Ben,
              Thanks for the reply.

              I finally figured out what I was doing wrong....me being stupid really.

              Turns out you can set the 'Host IP' in the GEM network tab to point to Homeseer and the UltraECM device IP setting to 0.0.0.0:8000 and still get readings...but still with the timeout issue. I think this may be how I interpreted the UltraECM installation documentation.

              But if you set the host ip in the GEM to 0.0.0.0:800 (in the network tab) and the UltraECM device IP to the GEM's IP you get readings and no time out errors.

              This was in addition to the settings suggested by JMJones.

              Thanks, Marty.
              iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

              BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

              Comment

              Working...
              X