Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole house audio/media control

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whole house audio/media control

    does anyone that uses multiple kinects use a whole house audio control system?

    I am trying to find a way that I could have VR control of audio playing and possibly even media center in multiple rooms.

    right now its looking like I will have a small computer assigned to each room. With a Kinect and its audio/video all in the room. I got the Kinect working well.

    Now I am looking for the best way to do the audio and video control.

    any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Out of the majority of home automation systems HS is the crappiest in regards to media control. There really is no good music functionality.

    Here I have a Kinect and a Russound whole house audio system. I can have simple conversations with HS this way. I guess I'm not entirely clear on what it is you're looking for.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by S-F View Post
      Out of the majority of home automation systems HS is the crappiest in regards to media control. There really is no good music functionality.

      Here I have a Kinect and a Russound whole house audio system. I can have simple conversations with HS this way. I guess I'm not entirely clear on what it is you're looking for.
      yes. there are other things out there that are easier... however, my first focus is having an isolated system that is in my full control.

      I was attempting to use a xap800 to control audio routing. but I don't have time to write my own program.

      My first goal is to get VR control to multiple rooms. with speech response.
      which I have done.

      next I would like the ability to play music and video. I suppose I could load up XBMC/Kodi on the systems.

      I guess I'm just wanting to know what works for other people. and what they are able to do specifically with their solution.

      I was hoping to condense everything to one system for as little of a footprint as possible. I am starting to think that's not really possible.

      Comment


      • #4
        Here went to a compact combo of Kodi / MM subsystem plus zone Russound system.

        Kodi runs only on Aopen mini PC's wired with Gb and utilizing Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

        The Kodi boxes stream live video from the HSHomerun boxes and the MythTV box.

        I do not really watch much live TV here though.

        Historically have kept my multimedia autonomous from Homeseer other than hardware control.

        I have built an HSTouch configuration with radio media buttons plus having it run Kodi and Squeezebox player with a 17" multitouch screen using a mini PC running windows 10 and the Kinect.

        I would some day like to see a Kodi plugin which shows stats from Homeseer on one screen or as a overlay. I can run a configured to Homeseer browser kiosk today.
        - Pete

        Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

        X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Here went to a compact combo of Kodi / MM subsystem plus zone Russound system.

          Kodi runs only on Aopen mini PC's wired with Gb and utilizing Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

          The Kodi boxes stream live video from the HSHomerun boxes and the MythTV box.

          I do not really watch much live TV here though.

          Historically have kept my multimedia autonomous from Homeseer other than hardware control.

          I have built an HSTouch configuration with radio media buttons plus having it run Kodi and Squeezebox player with a 17" multitouch screen using a mini PC running windows 10 and the Kinect.

          I would some day like to see a Kodi plugin which shows stats from Homeseer on one screen or as a overlay. I can run a configured to Homeseer browser kiosk today.
          Thank you for sharing. If you wouldn't mind, can you give more detail.

          like what Russound your using?

          My main goal is to have independent VR control with response in various areas. with as little of energy usage as possible.

          Comment


          • #6
            Using Russound CAA66 (2). Started with one CAS44. KPL keypads and OmniPro touchscreens for control plus a mini serial server for Homeseer control.

            You can utilize SAPI VR control today. Works great. The Homeseer Kinect plugin also works great.

            That said too you can utilize the Amazon Echo or Google product these days for VR if you do not mind using the cloud for VR.

            You can DIY the Google product with an RPi if you want.

            There are many choices today with Homeseer.

            I have only tested distribution of HDMI. Really not worth it to me using the Kodi boxes.

            Audio distribution is very easy with Homeseer. For TTS here have always used speaker.exe and MS SAPI. I have collected many voice fonts since initially using HS1 way back.

            Thinking these days to separate the Homeseer TTS to smaller single duplex speaker boxes and leaving the bigger in wall Russound speaker boxes just for media stuff.
            - Pete

            Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

            X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Using Russound CAA66 (2). Started with one CAS44. KPL keypads and OmniPro touchscreens for control plus a mini serial server for Homeseer control.

              You can utilize SAPI VR control today. Works great. The Homeseer Kinect plugin also works great.

              That said too you can utilize the Amazon Echo or Google product these days for VR if you do not mind using the cloud for VR.

              You can DIY the Google product with an RPi if you want.

              There are many choices today with Homeseer.
              All my automation is focused on isolation. Staying away from anything that is not in my control... makes it way more difficult but safe.

              I am currently working on getting the Kinect system going. It seems to be the best VR.
              Its just integrating that with audio routing and control.

              Comment


              • #8
                Here have only tested one Kinect and it worked great with a PipoX7 running the Kinect plugin talking to the Homeseer 3 Ubuntu mothership and connected to a 15-17" openframe multitouch monitor.

                I did though purchase a few Kinects refurbished from Game Stop a few years back.

                Yeah here like my music over anything streamed or even radio these days.

                I have replicated my home music collection to two automobiles and only listen to that these days.

                Just recently removed the Amazon Echo in the bathroom and went back to a Homeseer Touchscreen.
                - Pete

                Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

                X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Here have only tested one Kinect and it worked great with a PipoX7 running the Kinect plugin talking to the Homeseer 3 Ubuntu mothership and connected to a 15-17" openframe multitouch monitor.

                  I did though purchase a few Kinects refurbished from Game Stop a few years back.

                  Yeah here like my music over anything streamed or even radio these days.

                  I have replicated my home music collection to two automobiles and only listen to that these days.

                  Just recently removed the Amazon Echo in the bathroom and went back to a Homeseer Touchscreen.
                  I will have at least 6 kinects. 4 media centers and 8 stereo audio channels.

                  My goal is to basically have a star trek like experience with everyday interactions.

                  one of the biggest challenges is the fact I'm running my homeseer server on a VM. cause not only do I want all these functions but I am trying to get the lowest energy usage possible cause I plan on moving to off grid solar.

                  Its a big work in progress.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not really sure about running or connecting to a Kinect with a VM. I have never tried it.

                    I have tested other hardware connectivity in a Homeseer 2 VM many many years ago.

                    Today using Oracle VB's everything appears to work fine.

                    Best to just test the Kinect to your VM.

                    Many years ago played with extending the Mimo USB monitor. I could get it to work by keeping a local power supply. Not sure if you could do the same with a Kinect.

                    Or just puchase a mini pc with an Intel CPU. Thinking a while back Homeseer folks were able to connect the Kinect to the mini Intel sticks.
                    - Pete

                    Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

                    X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      Not really sure about running or connecting to a Kinect with a VM. I have never tried it.

                      I have tested other hardware connectivity in a Homeseer 2 VM many many years ago.

                      Today using Oracle VB's everything appears to work fine.

                      Best to just test the Kinect to your VM.

                      Many years ago played with extending the Mimo USB monitor. I could get it to work by keeping a local power supply. Not sure if you could do the same with a Kinect.

                      Or just puchase a mini pc with an Intel CPU. Thinking a while back Homeseer folks were able to connect the Kinect to the mini Intel sticks.
                      yeah I already have been testing. I got 3 kinects running on the system now. I just used old laptops for testing. I will be going with some Mini PC's for final config.

                      mini intel sticks? you got a model number for it?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No but google a search here on the Homeseer forum.

                        Understand that the Intel sticks utilize wireless and get their power from an HDMI port and do not have built in Ethernet ports.

                        Here I was going to velco the mini PC to the back of the openframe monitor.

                        Only thing is that Microsoft has not shrunk down the footprint of the Kinect. A miniature connect say 3" long would suffice if possible.

                        Found one....

                        [ATTACH]63998[/ATTACH]
                        - Pete

                        Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.00
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

                        X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X