No announcement yet.

Running Kinect plugin remotely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the note of running the plugin remotely I have it now as a remote instance and noted a few things:

Is there still a bug where the per device VR commands can only be controlled by one instance
    The IP netcam feature does not seem to work on a remote instance, I enabled it, went to the correct URL (with the right IP) but it doesn't pull up
    I can't get it to work without running a local instance of the kinect plugin (with no kinect connected) but thought that was not necessary.

Comment

I am seeing this in the plugin output:
      ERROR System.Net.HttpListenerException (0x80004005): Access is denied
      at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes()
      at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()
      at HSPI_KINECT.SnapshotServer.Start(KinectSensor kinectSensor)

Originally posted by kideon View Post
      On the note of running the plugin remotely I have it now as a remote instance and noted a few things:

Is there still a bug where the per device VR commands can only be controlled by one instance
      The IP netcam feature does not seem to work on a remote instance, I enabled it, went to the correct URL (with the right IP) but it doesn't pull up
      I can't get it to work without running a local instance of the kinect plugin (with no kinect connected) but thought that was not necessary.

Comment

yes there is still a bug with device VR commands for multiple instances, I'm still waiting for a fix for this ticket:http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=1673

Comment

I am seeing this in the plugin output:
          ERROR System.Net.HttpListenerException (0x80004005): Access is denied
          at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes()
          at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()
          at HSPI_KINECT.SnapshotServer.Start(KinectSensor kinectSensor)
          for the camera feature to work you need to run the plugin as Administrator, when starting it remotely it means you have to run the command prompt or your bat file as Administrator.

Comment

Thanks for the tip about admin for remote instances -- is that in the user guide?

I really want to know how to get the remote instance devices to appear.

I have no idea where I need to add something a .ini file (name and location of .ini file for starters), and what is the data that needs to be added, and what section of the ini file?

I've read the user guide many times and it is missing something critical that is causing me to read many threads to get this working fully.

VR was working so fast and easily that I thought I just got lucky. Then I started looking for all the devices mentioned and pictured and I see nothing related to this plugin anywhere other than in the manage plugins page.

Perhaps I will get lucky and it will start working all by itself, but I doubt it.
            huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
              Thanks for the tip about admin for remote instances -- is that in the user guide?

I really want to know how to get the remote instance devices to appear.

I have no idea where I need to add something a .ini file (name and location of .ini file for starters), and what is the data that needs to be added, and what section of the ini file?

I've read the user guide many times and it is missing something critical that is causing me to read many threads to get this working fully.

VR was working so fast and easily that I thought I just got lucky. Then I started looking for all the devices mentioned and pictured and I see nothing related to this plugin anywhere other than in the manage plugins page.

Perhaps I will get lucky and it will start working all by itself, but I doubt it.
              I'm not sure I understand your problem, but here is some answers to your questions.

You shouldn't have to create or modify manually any ini file for the Kinect plugin, they are created automatically and modified when you change something on the Config page. Each instance has its own ini file, and all ini files (for both local and remote instances) are in <HS3_root_ folder>/Config

So let's say your remote instance is called LivingRoom, once you modify something from the "PLUG-INS > Kinect > Config - LivingRoom" page, a Kinect_LivingRoom.ini should be created in the Config folder.
              If you want to restart from scratch with all default settings, delete the ini file then restart your remote instance.

If you want to have zone devices like in the User Guide, go to the Config page > Person Recognition tab, then click the "Add Overall Zone" button, and rename this zone "Overall" for example. This should create an Overall device that will be set to the number of skeletons the Kinect sensor is detecting.
              You can also add rectangular zones, if you want to detect people in one particular location.

does it help?

Comment

Ok so I understand all that and yet I'm expecting some devices related to the kinect to show up and I see none. The Xbox kinect is working for VR and the green led is blinking and red led is solid.

When I restart the plugin on the remote instance after it crashes for who knows what reason, it restarts fine.

If I had a way to trigger that to restart by seeing that instant not working I could use jon00's remote control to restart that instance.

Then there is the image snapshot that has not worked despite it seeming like it is working.

I know it's me as your stuff is wonderful. I just need to be turned in the right direction and given direction for success.

I'm soooo close to having it work right and I want it all the right before putting it where it could affect WAF.
                huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Ok so I understand all that and yet I'm expecting some devices related to the kinect to show up and I see none. The Xbox kinect is working for VR and the green led is blinking and red led is solid.
                  What device are you expecting? Have you created some zones in the Config page?

When I restart the plugin on the remote instance after it crashes for who knows what reason, it restarts fine.
                  Is there any error in the logs?

Then there is the image snapshot that has not worked despite it seeming like it is working.
                  Do you run the plugin as Administrator?
                  When you paste the snapshot url in a browser what happens? Have you tried a browser running on the same machine that your remote instance? It may be a firewall issue?

Could you set the log to debug, then restart the plugin and paste your logs here, it would help understand what are your problems.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                    I don't think this has ever been a real issue. Like for any other plugin if the Kinect plugin instance does not run, the kinect actions or triggers won't display correctly but as soon as the plugin instance is running the kinect actions and triggers wil revert back to how they have been defined.
                    Sorry Spud, just had this turn up on my system. Remote server running plugin remotely had to reboot, and afterwards, noticed that 2 VR events were no longer triggering. Fired up the web UI, found the events, and both had reverted to "the time is...".
                    All the others were fine, which is odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious View Post
                      Sorry Spud, just had this turn up on my system. Remote server running plugin remotely had to reboot, and afterwards, noticed that 2 VR events were no longer triggering. Fired up the web UI, found the events, and both had reverted to "the time is...".
                      All the others were fine, which is odd.
                      odd indeed..
                      can you replicate the problem if you stop and restart the remote plugin?

Comment

odd indeed..
                        can you replicate the problem if you stop and restart the remote plugin?
                        This rings a bell with me too. I've only seen it once and hasn't happened again. I'm wondering if it happened when the event was open for editing at the time the instance disconnected or something like that.

Comment

What device are you expecting? Have you created some zones in the Config page?
                          ---- I did and it seemed to work, but it made the VR stop working ----

Is there any error in the logs?
                          ---- I never got a chance to look ----

Do you run the plugin as Administrator?
                          ---- yes I did, created a shortcut, set it to run as admin, and it then worked once I opened up that port in the firewall, thanks ----
                          Could you set the log to debug, then restart the plugin and paste your logs here, it would help understand what are your problems.

thanks
                          Once I moved the entire setup, tablet, Kinect, power bricks and cables to where I wanted to use it, stopped and started both plug-in instances and waited about 15 seconds, VR started working. I had turned off gesture recognition as that killed VR for me. It may not be important for my application, though I can see one good use for it, when the sonos volume is too loud and I'd like to get it to mute with a gesture.

Still testing. I did have one problem getting this phrase to recognize:

<play | start> [some] music

It looked like it was correct, but it did not work for me. Should I try again now that VR is working and gestures are off?

Liking it. Now I just need to figure out how to issue relative volume settings from VR to Sonos. Unfortunately there is no set relative volume command like reduce volume by 5, increase volume by 5, etc.

If there were, I could use:
                          <bump [up] | increase> volume
                          <drop | lower | reduce> volume

Am I thinking right for HS3 and this plugin and the Sonos one to work well together?
                          huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by JimBob View Post
                            This rings a bell with me too. I've only seen it once and hasn't happened again. I'm wondering if it happened when the event was open for editing at the time the instance disconnected or something like that.
                            Would like to say no, as the events were some of the oldest, and I didn't have any web admin open from anywhere. I haven't been able to reproduce so far, so wondering if the circumstances are very rare.

Comment

Once I moved the entire setup, tablet, Kinect, power bricks and cables to where I wanted to use it, stopped and started both plug-in instances and waited about 15 seconds, VR started working. I had turned off gesture recognition as that killed VR for me. It may not be important for my application, though I can see one good use for it, when the sonos volume is too loud and I'd like to get it to mute with a gesture.

It looked like it was correct, but it did not work for me. Should I try again now that VR is working and gestures are off?

Liking it. Now I just need to figure out how to issue relative volume settings from VR to Sonos. Unfortunately there is no set relative volume command like reduce volume by 5, increase volume by 5, etc.

Am I thinking right for HS3 and this plugin and the Sonos one to work well together?
                              I'll chime in here - I used optional words heavily when first setting up all the various events I wanted, but discovered through trial and error that the phrases weren't picked up anywhere near as successfully, so have removed them where possible.
                              Even stuff like <play | start> music [please] just doesn't get picked up, and seems especially prevalent with my wifes higher pitched voice.
                              Apart from that, everything has been going good

Comment

this should definitely work, set the log level to Trace, and look at the console or logs to see what the VR understands

assuming Sonos plugin has a device for volume with values going from 0 to 100 (or something equivalent)., you could use a "Device voice command" associated to this volume device. In the User Guide there is an example to set a "Target temperature" device, it should be similar, you could set a command like: "Set the volume to (value)"

note that there is currently a HS3 bug that prevent this from working if you use multiple instances of the Kinect plugin.

another way is to use "A phrase was recognized" trigger and scripting action to reduce or increase volume by 5

Comment

Working...
                                X