• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kenrad
    started a topic Running Kinect plugin remotely

Running Kinect plugin remotely

Spud,

I am interested in running you plug in on multiple client computers through out my house for VR is this possible and if so how do I go about doing it. I am new to homeseer and need a little guidance onhow to install plugins on a remote Pc thanks

Ken

• JimBob
    replied
    No problem. Glad to help.

Leave a comment:

• Furious
    replied
    Thanks for all the above, much appreciated you putting some of your valuable weekend time to help
    I'm going to rip out the GB speech pack and see if that helps, along with coming up with a better trigger.

Leave a comment:

• JimBob
    replied
    On the PC where I ran the tests, I have the following installed:
    Kinect for Windows Developer Toolkit v1.7.0
    Kinect for Windows Drivers v1.7
    Kinect for Windows Runtime v1.7
    Kinect for Windows SDK v1.7
    Kinect for Windows Speech Recognition Language Pack (en-US)

Leave a comment:

• JimBob
    replied
    Ini files for my 2 remote kinects below:

TV - Win 8.1. Wired LAN:
    Code:
    [CONFIG_DEVICE]
    11###voicecommand=True
    11###103###command=__DISABLED__
    11###0###command=turn floor light off
    11###100###command=turn floor light on
    [GENERAL]
    visual_recognition_enabled=False
    log_level=Debug
    [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
    echo_cancellation=False
    confidence_threshold=0.75
    [CAMERA]
    netcam_enabled=False
    Bedroom - Win 7. Wireless:
    Code:
    [GENERAL]
    log_level=Debug
    visual_recognition_enabled=False
    [CONFIG_DEVICE]
    24###voicecommand=True
    24###0###command=turn [the] garden lights Off
    24###100###command=turn [the] garden lights On
    24###103###command=__DISABLED__
    [CAMERA]
    netcam_enabled=True
    [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
    confidence_threshold=0.7
    Most of my commands are events triggers so only a couple appear in the plugin ini files.

Logs entries below. I used the same 4 voice commands in the same order for each test.

Jun-21 20:34:22 Kinect DEBUG Phrase recognized with confidence=0.9952222
    Jun-21 20:33:54 Kinect DEBUG Phrase recognized with confidence=0.9977375
    Jun-21 20:33:46 Kinect DEBUG Phrase recognized with confidence=0.9944734
    Jun-21 20:33:33 Kinect DEBUG Phrase recognized with confidence=0.9413096
    Jun-21 18:33:07 Kinect DEBUG Speech Recognition Started
    Jun-21 18:33:07 Kinect INFO Kinect version 3.0.0.34
    Jun-21 18:33:06 Info Plugin Kinect with instance TV has connected. IP:192.168.0.211:53418
    Jun-21 18:32:54 Info Plugin Kinect with instance: TV has disconnected
    Jun-21 18:28:31 Kinect DEBUG Phrase recognized with confidence=0.9914764
    Jun-21 18:28:14 Kinect DEBUG Phrase recognized with confidence=0.9952365
    Jun-21 18:27:57 Kinect DEBUG Phrase recognized with confidence=0.9979333
    Jun-21 18:27:41 Kinect DEBUG Phrase recognized with confidence=0.9909642
    Jun-21 18:27:05 Kinect DEBUG Speech Recognition Started

No discernible decrease in confidence I'm afraid.

Let me know if there's any other test you would like me to do.

Addition:My speech recogniser is set to: Microsoft Server Speech Recognition Language - Kinect (en-US). See attachment.

Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JimBob; June 21st, 2015, 02:40 PM. Reason: Add screenshot of VR config.

Leave a comment:

• JimBob
    replied
    Originally posted by Furious View Post
    Cheers chap, i'm getting paranoid that me wiring's possessed

Could you post exactly what settings you're running for the config of each, then enable debug logging to file on one of them. Do a few test commands, and just put the confidence values logged safe.
    Then, cut network access briefly so that it logs that its reconnected and speech recognition is back on. Then a few hours later, just fire a few orders at it to see if it's still normal.

I also wondered if it's the trigger word - "house" may not be enough, as it only has one syllable and kind of trails off. I'll see if changing that, and the default language bears any fruit.
    Will do. (My trigger word is "kinect")

Leave a comment:

• Furious
    replied
    Originally posted by JimBob View Post
    For reference, I'm in UK and have been using 2 remote kinects for a few months now. One on windows 8.1 (wired lan) and one on windows 7 (wireless).
    Let me know if you want to compare setup/run any tests here which may help.
    Cheers chap, i'm getting paranoid that me wiring's possessed

Could you post exactly what settings you're running for the config of each, then enable debug logging to file on one of them. Do a few test commands, and just put the confidence values logged safe.
    Then, cut network access briefly so that it logs that its reconnected and speech recognition is back on. Then a few hours later, just fire a few orders at it to see if it's still normal.

I also wondered if it's the trigger word - "house" may not be enough, as it only has one syllable and kind of trails off. I'll see if changing that, and the default language bears any fruit.

Leave a comment:

• JimBob
    replied
    For reference, I'm in UK and have been using 2 remote kinects for a few months now. One on windows 8.1 (wired lan) and one on windows 7 (wireless).
    Let me know if you want to compare setup/run any tests here which may help.

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    Could you try the US recognizer, there may be a problem with the GB one

Leave a comment:

• Furious
    replied
    Ah well, I've tried a few more things, even went as far as adding the second kinect directly to the HS server, and that even exhibits the confidence drop.
    So that's different servers, one with win7 (HS server), other with win8.1, two different devices, one local and remote, swapping the devices over between the two servers. Even went as far as taking a recording of a command, playing it on my phone from a specific distance, and then recording that from the kinect microphone array on both - I can't discern any audio quality change from when it's working, and when it no longer works.

I'm out of ideas, and I can't think of anything that would be something apart from the recognition language used (I use GB). Disparate OSs, hardware, patching levels, amount of usb devices (remote has literally the kinect and nothing else), it's literally to the point where either there's a bug being triggered in the kinect API, or it's the plugin code. Maybe the plugin is not applying the correct language when it has to initialise?

I'm still of the mind that when it's not working like previous logs posted, it's experiencing an offset, sometimes up to a tenth of what it should be, funny that it still is virtually 100% accurate even though it's confidence has dropped so low.

I will say that the plugin config menu really doesn't like having a local and a remote instance. I restart the local instance, it restarts both, but then i can only configure the local. I then kick a restart of the remote instance, and then it doesn't show the local instance config menu item.

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    Hey Spud,
    could I ask that some kind of device be created which is like the status of the plugin instance please? So like key triggers can be acted upon like Speech Recognition stopped, perhaps just have a device per feature (one for speech =on/off, camera = on/off, movement = on/off)
    will do

Leave a comment:

• Furious
    replied
    Hey Spud,
    could I ask that some kind of device be created which is like the status of the plugin instance please? So like key triggers can be acted upon like Speech Recognition stopped, perhaps just have a device per feature (one for speech =on/off, camera = on/off, movement = on/off)
    I can't really trap for log text on the remote instance reliably, and I can keep speech going ok as long as I can fully restart the plugin remotely.

Once something like the below happens (or disconnect/reconnect), it will eventually lose confidence:
    Code:
    Jun-14 14:37:58 DEBUG Reloading Grammars
    Jun-14 14:37:58 DEBUG Speech Recognition Stopped
    Jun-14 14:37:58 DEBUG Building Grammars

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    Will the plugin work with the 1.8 sdk?
    yes it should work with 1.8 sdk, you can try it

Leave a comment:

• Furious
    replied
    Update - nope, it's not any setting, it just happened to have a stretch where it worked for longer than normal, probably down to the script to kill and restart the plugin periodically.
    So, I've since got another kinect, and that had the same confidence problem within a few hours.
    So i'm kind of at a dead end here. I'm at a loss what else to try, there is no reliability, and yet noone else is reporting any problems with remote instances.

Will the plugin work with the 1.8 sdk?

Leave a comment:

• Furious
    replied
    Ok, so some more information.
    I last messed around last week, and was surprised it seemed to behave itself for a few days. Then I changed some stuff as above.
    I set it to run as admin, set the logging to error only, and also turned off the person recognition.
    Come this morning, confidence problem again after only 6 hours of the plugin being connected.
    So perhaps this may be linked to not having the person recognition turned on..... i've turned it back on just in case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X