Couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple questions

1. Will a kinect for Xbox work or only Kinect for windows.

2. Would this computer work for a remote set up. It comes with windows 7.
    http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-DC7800-U...0_2-CA_1_20001

Originally posted by freeon View Post
    1. Will a kinect for Xbox work or only Kinect for windows.
    kinect for Xbox works, you just need to install the kinect SDK instead of kinect runtime see the user guide

2. Would this computer work for a remote set up. It comes with windows 7.
    http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-DC7800-U...0_2-CA_1_20001
    yes the kinect plugin will run smoothly on this kind of machine.

Comment

Ok thanks. 1 last question. It says in the instruction that Kinect needs windows 7 or 8. So this means there is no way to make it work on a HomeTroller correct ?

Comment

Ok thanks. 1 last question. It says in the instruction that Kinect needs windows 7 or 8. So this means there is no way to make it work on a HomeTroller correct ?
        I don't know much about HomeTroller, but yeah if it doesn't run win 7 or later, it won't work.

Comment

homeTroller runs Windows XP. The instructions says that if I want to run it remotely from another computer it also has to be installed on the HomeSeer computer. Even if the remote computer that the Kinect is connected to has Windows 7 but the HomeSeer computer has Windows XP does this mean it won't work.

Comment

homeTroller runs Windows XP. The instructions says that if I want to run it remotely from another computer it also has to be installed on the HomeSeer computer. Even if the remote computer that the Kinect is connected to has Windows 7 but the HomeSeer computer has Windows XP does this mean it won't work.
            it will work, the plugin has to be installed on the HomeSeer computer to avoid license issues. The plugin won't even be started on the HS machine, you don't have to install the SDK on the HS machine if you just want to run a remote instance.

Comment

Good to hear. There's a few used Kinetc for sale for $30 in the local classifieds. Will pick one up and start testing. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                it will work, the plugin has to be installed on the HomeSeer computer to avoid license issues. The plugin won't even be started on the HS machine, you don't have to install the SDK on the HS machine if you just want to run a remote instance.
                I tried installing on the HomeTroller but got an error saying it needs windows 7 or greater to be installed. Any ideas?

Comment

I tried installing on the HomeTroller but got an error saying it needs windows 7 or greater to be installed. Any ideas?
                  what did you try to install? The plugin or the SDK?
                  you do NOT have to install the SDK on the HomeTroller, only on the machine where the kinect is plugged in.

Comment

I tried installing the SDK. I thought that's what I read that it had to be installed on both machines.

Comment

I ran it remotely on my laptop with no issue. I try on a different computer that also has windows 7 and I get this error "
                      Error calling the plug-in to get the trigger UI: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. In the command prompt and also in the web interface of HS3. I thought I had set it up the same as my laptop but obviously must of forgot something. Any ideas.

Comment

you probably have .NET 4 Client Profile installed instead of .NET4 Full Framework. Try installing .NET 4 full framework or even .NET 4.5

Comment

That's what it was. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X