Longest USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longest USB

What is the longest USB cable that can be used with the kinect. I have a 49 foot cord rated at 480Mbps but the kinect doesn't work with that cord. It shows as connected but does nothing when I give a command. If I unplug the 49 foot cord and plug directly to the computer it works fine.

I'very got one working with a 30' powered Monoprice cable.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

That's were I got mine. Did you have to do anything differently

Comment

Differently? Nope.

Is yours powered?

Comment

This what I have

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Comment

How are you connecting that cable to the Kinect?

It doesn't have its own power source. I have this one with the optional power supply: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Comment

I use the adapter that came with the kinect that plugs in the wall and put the monoprice cord between the kinect and the adapter thus extending the original cord.

Comment

Hmmmm. I'm not sure if it works like that.

Ha! Apparently it doesn't! I'd try it again with a powered cable. I noticed that Monoprice has special Kinect extension cables.

Comment

I don't know what I was doing wrong before but it seems to work now. I just restarted HS3 and it works.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

I was using the 30' monoprice cable but couldn't get it to work with a second Kinect on the HS machine. I installed a USB 3.0 card and the cable started working. Turns out it was a insufficent bandwith problem.

Comment

Sorry, that should have read a USB 2.0 card. My server doesn't support USB 3.0. Putting the second Kinect on its own USB card got it working.

Comment

Originally posted by mtroxell1 View Post
                          Sorry, that should have read a USB 2.0 card. My server doesn't support USB 3.0. Putting the second Kinect on its own USB card got it working.
                          Thank you for reporting.
                          The kinect is very picky on USB ports. I have read report of users saying that it simply does not work with USB 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                            Thank you for reporting.
                            The kinect is very picky on USB ports. I have read report of users saying that it simply does not work with USB 3.0
                            I also tried both kinects on another HTPC machine that I built. Both Kinects were on USB 3.0 ports and both worked fine. Maybe it depends on the motherboard and drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by freeon View Post
                              What is the longest USB cable that can be used with the kinect. I have a 49 foot cord rated at 480Mbps but the kinect doesn't work with that cord. It shows as connected but does nothing when I give a command. If I unplug the 49 foot cord and plug directly to the computer it works fine.
                              I have a remote kinect running on a 65ft cable from Monoprice. Works just fine.
                              http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Comment

Working...
                              X