Longest USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-F View Post
    How are you connecting that cable to the Kinect?

It doesn't have its own power source. I have this one with the optional power supply: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
    So we can confirm that kinetic works with extended usb cable right???
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Can you run two Kinects with one USB hub or do they need to be on different hubs?

Comment

Originally posted by eliashall View Post
        Can you run two Kinects with one USB hub or do they need to be on different hubs?

They are hungry hungry devices so they need to be on different USB ports. Also some motherboards with many USB slots use the same "port" for multiple slots so you will run into issues in those situations too. I think if I decide to run a bunch of them all from my server I'll have to get a good USB card. I don't like the approach of peppering the house with cheap tablets, but it is certainly working for some people.
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

How are you connecting that cable to the Kinect?

It doesn't have its own power source. I have this one with the optional power supply: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
          If you have a kinect with it PS, do you still need a power supply for a extended USB cable if your going to use one?
          Hector
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
            If you have a kinect with it PS, do you still need a power supply for a extended USB cable if your going to use one?

Yes. The Kinect can't run AT ALL without a Kinect power supply.

Comment

Yes. The Kinect can't run AT ALL without a Kinect power supply.
              Let me re frase, I have a kinect with its PS. And If I use a extended USB cable, do I need to get another PS for the extended USB cable?
              Hector
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                Let me re frase, I have a kinect with its PS. And If I use a extended USB cable, do I need to get another PS for the extended USB cable?
                I would use a powered USB cable. It might work without but why chance it? The Kinect seems to be a bit picky about USB stuff.

Comment

Cat6 convert to USB?
                  I have 4 CAT6 runs to numerous locations back to Homeseer server room etc.. Can a USB cable be created using the existing CAT6 to run a Kinect?

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
                    Cat6 convert to USB?
                    I have 4 CAT6 runs to numerous locations back to Homeseer server room etc.. Can a USB cable be created using the existing CAT6 to run a Kinect?
                    Yeah, there are these types:

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-over-Exten.../dp/B004XYEXX4

They just make use of the cat5 wires to extend the USB, so you have to use the cable point to point; not go through an ethernet switch.

And there are these also:

http://www.amazon.com/Digi-AW-USB-2-...gi+anywhereusb

Which is ip-based, so technically you can put the other end anywhere the network reaches (even to another country if you vpn it) or thru a wifi connection, etc.

But I seriously doubt #2 works for Kinect.
                    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Thats great Leo! I'll have to get one of those and try the Kinect

Comment

worth a try, but I doubt even #1 would work well for kinect

in the description it says
                        Note: the distance and adapters may affect the performance of some devices down to USB 1.1 speed
                        and the kinect is very picky about bandwith and speed

Comment

Any other suggestions Spud? Only need it to go about 30' but can't fish USB. Needs to go through cat6 or an RG6U that is already prewired.

Comment

I use a 50 foot powered USB extender for my Kinect and modded XBOX 360 and it works fine.. I bought powered USB extender from monoprice
                            Cheers,
                            Bob
                            Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

How about using usb over ip server?

Comment

Is there already a plug in for kinect v2?

Comment

Working...
                                X