X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freeon
    started a topic Longest USB

Longest USB

What is the longest USB cable that can be used with the kinect. I have a 49 foot cord rated at 480Mbps but the kinect doesn't work with that cord. It shows as connected but does nothing when I give a command. If I unplug the 49 foot cord and plug directly to the computer it works fine.

• Rotech
    replied
    I just installed a 65' USB ext cable with no issues at all.

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    Originally posted by Sapje View Post
    How about using usb over ip server?
    I never tried personnally, but I read some reports saying it doesn't work with the Kinect.

Is there already a plug in for kinect v2?
    not yet, support for kinect v2 is on my TODO list

Leave a comment:

• Sapje
    replied
    Is there already a plug in for kinect v2?

Leave a comment:

• Sapje
    replied
    How about using usb over ip server?

Leave a comment:

• Blade
    replied
    I use a 50 foot powered USB extender for my Kinect and modded XBOX 360 and it works fine.. I bought powered USB extender from monoprice

Leave a comment:

• 519zwave
    replied
    Any other suggestions Spud? Only need it to go about 30' but can't fish USB. Needs to go through cat6 or an RG6U that is already prewired.

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    worth a try, but I doubt even #1 would work well for kinect

in the description it says
    Note: the distance and adapters may affect the performance of some devices down to USB 1.1 speed
    and the kinect is very picky about bandwith and speed

Leave a comment:

• 519zwave
    replied
    Thats great Leo! I'll have to get one of those and try the Kinect

Leave a comment:

• LeoS
    replied
    Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
    Cat6 convert to USB?
    I have 4 CAT6 runs to numerous locations back to Homeseer server room etc.. Can a USB cable be created using the existing CAT6 to run a Kinect?
    Yeah, there are these types:

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-over-Exten.../dp/B004XYEXX4

They just make use of the cat5 wires to extend the USB, so you have to use the cable point to point; not go through an ethernet switch.

And there are these also:

http://www.amazon.com/Digi-AW-USB-2-...gi+anywhereusb

Which is ip-based, so technically you can put the other end anywhere the network reaches (even to another country if you vpn it) or thru a wifi connection, etc.

But I seriously doubt #2 works for Kinect.

Leave a comment:

• 519zwave
    replied
    Cat6 convert to USB?
    I have 4 CAT6 runs to numerous locations back to Homeseer server room etc.. Can a USB cable be created using the existing CAT6 to run a Kinect?

Leave a comment:

• S-F
    replied
    Originally posted by Rotech View Post
    Let me re frase, I have a kinect with its PS. And If I use a extended USB cable, do I need to get another PS for the extended USB cable?
    I would use a powered USB cable. It might work without but why chance it? The Kinect seems to be a bit picky about USB stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Rotech
    replied
    Originally posted by S-F View Post
    Yes. The Kinect can't run AT ALL without a Kinect power supply.
    Let me re frase, I have a kinect with its PS. And If I use a extended USB cable, do I need to get another PS for the extended USB cable?

Leave a comment:

• S-F
    replied
    Originally posted by Rotech View Post
    If you have a kinect with it PS, do you still need a power supply for a extended USB cable if your going to use one?

Yes. The Kinect can't run AT ALL without a Kinect power supply.

Leave a comment:

• Rotech
    replied
    Originally posted by S-F View Post
    How are you connecting that cable to the Kinect?

It doesn't have its own power source. I have this one with the optional power supply: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
    If you have a kinect with it PS, do you still need a power supply for a extended USB cable if your going to use one?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X