Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus XtionPro

Hi,

Does this work with teh Asus XtionPro Live?

I happen to have access to one. I thought it would be neat to at least use the beta/30day trial/whatever is available for testing.

As far as I can tell, the driver is the same between. Apparently the XBox and this are one in the same (driver-wise) at least, for Personify. The Asus does (from what I've been told...which I never did validate) has a higher resolution than the XBox.
    Will that cause your plugin issues?

How many of these can you run? That is, if I had one per room (2-3 rooms), could I do that? Does it require a LOT of processing power? I realize that most of the heavy lifting is being done with the IR (depth) camera, but I assume I cannot just pop this on an old 386sx16 and it will magically work (assuming I could get USB on such an old machine!!).

Also, is this available for HS2 and HS3? Separate licenses for both? I'm mostly running HS2 right now. Migrating over is probably not going to happen this year - due to the amount of free time I have for Home Automation.

Thanks!

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

I don't think Asus XtionPro Live works with the Kinect plugin as this plugin use the Microsoft kinect SDK which probably does not support this Asus device.

Yes you can put one Kinect per room using the plugin as a remote plugin instance. Some users already do that and they have reported that it works fine.

The plugin is only available for HS3

Comment

Spud,

So the SDK does not actually use the Kinect Driver - which as far as I know, is the same as the one for the Asus, as they are essentially the same device.

Or is this the Microsoft SDK you are referring to?

The one I experienced time on was OpenNI, which allows the Asus, Microsoft and one other one all work (as they are tweaks on the "same" hardware).

I thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

--Dan
      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

not sure what you call the "Kinect drivers" ?
        for the kinect plugin to work you need to have installed either the Microsoft Kinect SDK or the Microsoft Kinect Runtime depending if you have a kinect for XBox or a kinect for windows.

the plugin does not use OpenNI or any other open source framework, only the official Microsoft libraries. That's why I doubt it would be compatible with anything but Microsoft kinects.

but if you have access to one of this asus device feel free to test, and let me know.

Comment

Working...
        X