Multi-Room Kinect Setup Example

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle Mike -

That should work without an issue - The vener8 was designed for the Venue 8 more because it as the first 8" tablet with that shared Micro USB for Windows and I have used it on 3 tablets so far (and bought one more for my 9.7" Tablet coming in... I'll do a review on that when it gets here, I'm excited since its high res, IPS, 2GB, 32Gb SSD, etch - all for $185).

I have read a lot of great things about that dock - people really like it. Keep in mind that it may split the USB, but I haven't tested two Kinect's on that (using just Voice, but I might this weekend since I have a few more Kinect's to play with). So until tested, assume just ONE Kinect on that tablet.

ORNVM -

I'm just using the default Windows 8.1 Voices - I used to use some vendor voices (I forget who now..) - But I was pleasantly surprised with the Windows 8.1 Quality voices. I'm really hoping that Windows 10 can use Cortana's voice ... Since she's not officially full in the leaked Previews, I'm hoping to find out Jan 21 when Microsoft has their Event....

Comment

Originally posted by surovich View Post
      ckelly -

I don't have a how to as per say - One of my major engineering issues is designing on the fly - I usually assume that no one wants to know what I did... I need to start assuming more people would like toy do the things I play around with.

There is a great forum I use for the light stuff - I'll send it over to you in a PM, do we can keep this threads on the Kinect track rather than Grizwalding a house
      Looking forward to the PM!

And I'd like to play with the script too.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by surovich View Post
        I have to say I suggest the Veneer8 as #1,
        The Vener8 has been used for 2 weeks now and its been solid : http://vener8.net/
        So I tried the Vener8 with the iView tablet, but it's not working for me. I can charge, but no USB devices are recognized by the tablet when plugged into the Vener8. Using a powered hub didn't help.

I'm wondering if there is any way to tell if the tablet I have has different firmware/bios or is otherwise treating the USB connection differently? The product description and 'name' appears to be identical. Have you installed any/all OS updates on the tablet?
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Hey - sorry, the paying Job has been keeping me very busy ...

So, On the iView, no I didn't do any FW updates - all stock ....

So, when you plug it all in, there is an order to do it... If memory serves me - Unplug it all, plug the computer micro USB into the vener and then the vener into the power, you should see the power icon show a charging status. Then try a USB device, say a thumb drive to start at least.

For the Kinect, I do have a powered USB hub (not uncommon for higher power devices on tablets. I do a similar routine, but the hub gets plug into the USB last like the thumb drive test.

It is very touchy about order, it must see the power first or it wont transfer the connection to USB ...

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation on FW.
            My device claims to have a USB 3.0 port. Does yours also have USB 3.0?

I have tried various orders, including the one you are using, but nothing works. I've also been in touch with Vener8 support - which is exceptional, by the way. They are sending me a second Vener8 to test. I should have it in a few days.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yeah, it picks up as a USB3 (so does my Venue 8 and my new Teclast 10" tablet... - So the root hub might be able to do USB3 but the micro connection is just USB2.

Yeah, the vener guy is pretty cool to deal with - I didn't have any issues, but in a few questions and an double order issue by me, he was great to deal with.

I also tested the Vener8 on my new Teclast tablet and it works with it as well... (so I did buy another Vener8 for that Tablet).

Comment

Very strange. Neither sample of the Vener8 works with my iView tablet. I'd love to try a side-by-side with yours, but that's pretty impractical, especially given the small amounts of money involved.

I ended up sending both units back. They gave me a full refund, which is great. Fabulous customer service.

Comment

Multi-Room Kinect Setup Example

I have an iview, Vener8, kine Xbox 360, and everything works but the battery on the iview lasts about a day while plugged in using all the default chargers and cables before it dies of low battery.
                  The voice and gesture recognition works fine so this is the last hurdle before making this setup useful.
                  Suggestions welcome
                  huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I would try using a powered USB Hub into the Veneer - and the Kinect into the powered Hub....

Comment

Working...
                    X