Relay control and Arduino for sump pump control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay control and Arduino for sump pump control

So I got thinking as a result of the mass flooding which has occurred within my region of late, that I'd like to add one extra level of resilience with my sump pump control/monitoring.
    So far I monitor the number of cycles per day, the time between cycles and should the water level rise past a high water determinant, HS will send an e-mail to both my wife and I and pushp message to my phone.

I have two actual pumps btw. However, one is a backup set to a higher level that the first submersible. This would work fine providing the second pump does not seize up. Therefore, I thought that as a new Arduino project, that I could operate a relay which would cycle between the pumps after each run. This would increase the life of the pumps and allow both to be used.
    Based on what I can see however, the current draw from the pumps would likely fry an Arduino relay. Can someone suggest a viable solution? Should I control a second set of relays from the Arduino and if so, is there a recommendation on this?

Perhaps this is all for not and there is a product out there that would do just that.

Any and all suggestions wonderfully received.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

I suggested a solid state relay for another post but it would work equally well for this situation. They have a 3-32vdc input voltage with low current, and depending on which one you choose can control ac or dc on the output as high as 40A.

Here is an example at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Lantee-Pieces...te+relay&psc=1

Comment

+1 on the SSR. They can easily handle the load and have no contacts to arc or fail.
      Randy Prade
      Aurora, CO
      Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Sounds like a simple and easy way to do it.

Comment

@cowinger: Do you know the default state of these relays when powered on?
          The reason I ask is should the power go out and should for some reason my Homeseer PC not power up afterwards, if the relays are open and awaiting control, then I'll have no power going to either one of my sump pump.
          I also guess it would depend on the state of the Arduino and whether or not it is sending a '1' out to the relay...

Robert
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

These relays would close only when a voltage is applied and re-open when not. They are not latching so the Arduino would have to be the one that stays in a 1 mode until changed.
            Last edited by cowinger; May 11, 2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks... this may create a problem then.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                Thanks... this may create a problem then.

Should not be an issue as you could program the Arduino to always activate one relay on startup.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
                HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                  @cowinger: Do you know the default state of these relays when powered on?
                  The reason I ask is should the power go out and should for some reason my Homeseer PC not power up afterwards, if the relays are open and awaiting control, then I'll have no power going to either one of my sump pump.
                  I also guess it would depend on the state of the Arduino and whether or not it is sending a '1' out to the relay...

Robert
                  Some relays allow for either Normally Closed (NC) or Normally Open (NO) on the outputs. I prefer these. In most of my applications I prefer NC (like hot water heater and well pump). But there are some applications where NO might be appropriate.

Comment

@Al - thanks I wasn't sure that this was the possible. That'll work then.

@logbuilder - I would also prefer a NC relay as well, but I don't think these are available as NC.

Robert

Comment

There are NC SSR's available (here's one example http://www.newark.com/crydom/d2440b/...40a/dp/89C4704). For extra piece of mind, you should also set up a watchdog on the Arduino which would reset it if it hangs up. There's a built in method or you can use an external circuit such as this one: https://www.freetronics.com.au/produ...e#.WRWeM-7F2aM.

Cheers
                      Al

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
                      HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Al... thanks again! You're a wealth of knowledge. Most helpful!

Robert

Comment

Working...
                        X