Entertainment Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertainment Center

So... not sure where to start but lets go...

way back I had a Harman Kardon AVR-65 receiver and Harman Kardon 4" speakers and 10" sub. Watched The Matrix and the part with Neo on the heli on Gatling gun... I could make my house THUMP... well the receiver died eventually and that receiver wouldn't tie into HS.
    I purchased an Onkyo tx-nr708 to tie in; however, I was so disappointed in the performance of it.

Harman Kardon wasn't about the watts but more the Amps for the clean sound. Well this new Onkyo amp is higher in watts and slowly breaking all of my speakers. I think I have 3 left so not true surround sound.

I need to buy a new sub and new speakers so that I get...

I renovated my kitchen and put hardwood floor down all over the first floor and had to move my entertainment center. With that I had 2 speaker wires and network cable just drilled through the floor. Well with the new floors I didn't want to do that...

so its a year later and I need to get this thing setup.

Finally story time is over and to the meat and potatoes.

I have a 40" tv inside an entertainment center (unfortunately wife wont let me get rid of it or move it to another room)
    In there I have
    • Xfinity X1 cable box (non dvr)
    • Receiver
    • amp for multi room - out back
    • xbox 365
    • 110 cd changer - wife wont get rid of but doesnt use
    • bluray player
    • pc
    • Nintendo wii

so I used to hook all of this up through the receiver and you had to put the receiver on what you wanted, yadda yadda yadda...

a coworker is telling me to hookup all of my stuff into my tv then go optical out to the receiver and then you only use the receiver for 1 jack....

Question 1:
    Would you put all devices into tv and run sound through receiver? or would you still run everything through receiver and video down to tv?

Question 2:
    running speaker wires in wall... would/do you just take speaker wire through sheetrock for say front upper surround speakers or do you put a wall plate on and use banana connectors?

I need to get this going again and need to plan this out. I put the wall plates in that allow me to run wires in the wall.. but it is no more than a hole guidance and I have wires running through... If I do all to TV then I really don't need all of those wires but if I do all to receiver, then I do need some....

let me know what you think...
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
    Question 1:
    Would you put all devices into tv and run sound through receiver? or would you still run everything through receiver and video down to tv?

Question 2:
    running speaker wires in wall... would/do you just take speaker wire through sheetrock for say front upper surround speakers or do you put a wall plate on and use banana connectors?
    Question 1:
    I've always gone with the old rule that the fewer things between the source and the amp, the better the quality of the sound. So, I'd go to the receiver with all the sources and just video out to the TV. [This also solves the potential problem of the TV manufacturer doing a crap job on the audio!]

Question 2:
    For the same reasons, I'd go straight to the speakers with the wires. The banana plugs makes a nice clean look, but unless you're using gold-plated connectors and plugs, it's just another place for possible corrosion and/or bad connection.
    Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

Working...
    X