Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Activate a ceiling fan based on temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activate a ceiling fan based on temperature?

Do any of you have anything hooked up where a ceiling fan will activate / deactivate at a particular room temperature?

We recently moved from a house with no ceiling fans to one with two. And our living room has a vaulted ceiling with a very large fan. I use Zwave for light automation. Thought maybe I could give my air conditioner some relief if I brought in that big fan to help.

Thanks!

Dave

Originally posted by DR4296 View Post
    Do any of you have anything hooked up where a ceiling fan will activate / deactivate at a particular room temperature?

We recently moved from a house with no ceiling fans to one with two. And our living room has a vaulted ceiling with a very large fan. I use Zwave for light automation. Thought maybe I could give my air conditioner some relief if I brought in that big fan to help.

Thanks!

Dave
    You could use one of these to control the fan.
    https://www.amazon.com/GE-Controls-R...ave+fan+switch
    https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Con...ave+fan+switch
    And then use a z-wave multi-sensor which there are too many to list or if you have zigbee then the hue motion sensor (has temp) is a good choice.

Create an event that turns on the fan when a certain temp is reached and off when it hits another temp.

Comment

Originally posted by DR4296 View Post

Thanks!

Dave
      Yes. I use the temp readings from my thermostat to turn on/off and set speed for my ceiling fan. I use the GE Z-Wave Fan Control that was linked in an earlier post.

Comment

Well, now I guess I need to find a GOOD Zwave multisensor that will report the temp at regular intervals. Looks like none of the ones on Amazon have a 4 star+ rating.

But thanks for the switch info!

Comment

We use the temperature reporting from thermostats to control the fans. The logic for the living room is:

If the temperature is above x
          And if the fan is off
          And if the house is occupied
          And if the house is awake
          And if the air conditioning is off
          And if there has been Motion in the living room within the hour
          Then turn on the fans

For the bedroom the logic is the same except it is conditioned by the house sleep mode. If the house is asleep the fan will run.

We use a virtual device to determine House awake/asleep. The living room fans are turned off when the house is asleep, if the temperature is below x, if there has been no motion for more than 60 minutes, if the AC is turned on or if the house becomes vacant.
          Randy Prade
          Aurora, CO
          Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Working...
          X