Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August Smart Lock Pro sometimes misses Z-Wave command to lock or unlock ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Smart Lock Pro sometimes misses Z-Wave command to lock or unlock ...

Hello -
    TL;DR - Where can I go to further troubleshoot Z-Wave commands being received and acknowledged by my August Smart Lock Pro?

TL;Sorry -
    Curious if anyone else is having a similar issue or if someone can point me in the correct troubleshooting path.

I have an August Smart Lock Pro (without the connect hardware, just Z-Wave+ and the "DoorSense" magnet) connected to my HomeSeer system via the HS SmartStick+. The SmartStick+ is very close to the front door, less than 10 feet, and there is also a wall switch within a foot of the August Smart Lock.

The issue I'm having is that occasionally, completely at random, when I send the Z-Wave command to lock or unlock the door the August Smart Lock doesn't respond, it just sits there. Subsequent attempts to change the lock status (performing the opposite command, lock or unlock) are ignored by the lock as well. The only remedy is to open the August app on my smartphone and issue the lock or unlock command from there, which is in-turn sent over Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) from my phone. After sending the command from my smartphone, HomeSeer goes back to working normally for a while.

I'm not using this yet with any other sort of integration or interface, just simply running these commands from the HomeSeer web interface directly.

Here's what the HomeSeer web interface looks like when things are responding normally / correctly ...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture-AugustSmartLock-Normal.PNG
Views:	478
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1288162

After clicking the "Unlock" button, which just so happened to be missed or unheard by the August Smart Lock Pro, this is what I see in the HomeSeer web interface ...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture-AugustSmartLock-Abnormal.PNG
Views:	299
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1288163

You'll notice that the entry for "Door Lock" shows as Unlocked (with an unlock icon beside it). If it were responding normally, that same category would instead show "Unlocked Door Closed".

So I figured, OK, HomeSeer just misinterpreted the fact that the command to unlock wasn't acknowledged. Fine, let's go to polling and get HS to poll the lock and see if it can reconcile the state that the lock is actually in versus what state that it thinks it is in. Go into devices, [My_Z_Wave_Network_ID-002-Q19] (the device ID for "Door Lock", go to the Z-Wave tab, set polling for every 30 seconds. I do the same for [My_Z_Wave_Network_ID-002-Q20] for "Access Control Notification". Now, I wait ... 30 seconds, 60 seconds ... I see the polling times change but the actual state of the lock is never reflected or reconciled in HomeSeer.

Where do I go from here?

Many thanks!

I’m having this exact same problem after updating the z-wave module a few weeks back.

I have events that trigger an unlock, but many times after the event fires, there is no associated “device unlocked” in the log. August app shows good signal strength for Z-wave.

Any ideas?

OP, did you find a resolution?

Thanks!

Comment

Not sure if this is the answer but it seems to be working for me. If you look at the graphics tab of the device you’ll see that 255 is there for lock but there is also a 255 for locked as a status. The same goes for 0 unlock and unlocked respectively. I thought that was unusual. I deleted one of each and changed them to “both” for status control.

Comment

I think what happens is, homeseer tries to unlock or lock a status only device in reference to what I said above.

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
          Not sure if this is the answer but it seems to be working for me. If you look at the graphics tab of the device you’ll see that 255 is there for lock but there is also a 255 for locked as a status. The same goes for 0 unlock and unlocked respectively. I thought that was unusual. I deleted one of each and changed them to “both” for status control.
          Having both is how all z-wave locks are set up. My z-wave locks (not the same ones that the OP is referring to) work fine with the "duplicate" values. I suspect there's a bug in the firmware for the August locks.
          HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

That is weird though, right? I also have a kwickset lock that works fine with that set up. But why have the same value for status and control x 2? Seems once I made this change it works ok. I’m sure homeseer would say it’s a bug with August but August may say it is a bug with homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
              That is weird though, right? I also have a kwickset lock that works fine with that set up. But why have the same value for status and control x 2? Seems once I made this change it works ok. I’m sure homeseer would say it’s a bug with August but August may say it is a bug with homeseer.
              I think the intent is to allow commands to "unlock" the door and then the status would show as "unlocked" (and the same for lock/locked).
              HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I’m having the same issue.. did anyone ever find a resolution to this? Is anyone using August Pro reliably with lock/unlock triggers?

Comment

Working...
                X