Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August Smart Lock Pro sometimes misses Z-Wave command to lock or unlock ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randman View Post

Assuming it works reliably, one disadvantage of this lock is that it doesn't have a keypad (which makes it easier to install). After years of using Kwikset and Schlage Z-Wave locks (the first generation Z-Wave, which aren't Z-Wave Plus), no one in my household ever carries keys with them. However, in the (hopefully) rare event that the network is not available (maybe switch/router went haywire or there is a blackout), and if you don't have the deadbolt's key, I suppose one can get stuck outside the home. Not sure if the optional August keypad can communicate directly with the August lock if the network were down. Also, from what I've read, batteries are only good for 4 to 6 months (I get a little more than a year with my old Z-Wave locks). Disadvantage of the Kwikset and Schlage Z-Wave locks, though, is the need to be dependent on HomeSeer (and homebridge for HomeKit) to operate the lock via HomeKit and Alexa.
    I believe the keypads work as keypad -> bridge -> lock so they should work if the cloud is down and/or your internet connection fails. But not if there's a power outage unless the bridge is on a UPS. But I never got far enough down that road to test any of that. If you end up giving these locks a try, I have a keypad that I'm obviously not using anymore you can have for the cost of shipping if you want it (forgot it was on the back wall of the house until it was too late to return it).

Personally, I like having the keypad built into the lock so it's all self-contained and is able to work independent of any external hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by el_penguino View Post

I believe the keypads work as keypad -> bridge -> lock so they should work if the cloud is down and/or your internet connection fails. But not if there's a power outage unless the bridge is on a UPS. But I never got far enough down that road to test any of that. If you end up giving these locks a try, I have a keypad that I'm obviously not using anymore you can have for the cost of shipping if you want it (forgot it was on the back wall of the house until it was too late to return it).

Personally, I like having the keypad built into the lock so it's all self-contained and is able to work independent of any external hardware.
      Sounds like keypad won't work if there is no power. It should generally not be an issue, since it's rare that I lose power, but if I did lose power, it can be quite a pain not being able to get into the house. I agree, a keypad built into the lock itself is preferable. I'm still analyzing my needs (may need to move, so I'll need new locks). Thanks for the offer. If I decide to try the August, I'll PM you (if you still have the keypad).

Comment

Working...
      X