Perimeter Detection with ZUNO and Triple Beam Infrared Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perimeter Detection with ZUNO and Triple Beam Infrared Sensors

I wanted to implement discrete sensors for perimeter detection around various parts of my property.

3-sensor IR perimeter detectors proved to be much more reliable for detecting an object traversing the virtual fence.
    Motion detectors are OK for many applications, but these IR fences map out discrete borders.

My first and second IR fence were implemented using zwave door sensors for the sensor trigger. Initially, the
    sensors were used and "tamper detection" on the IR fence devices were not used. I wanted to detect whether the
    perimeter was traversed, whether transmitter or receiver were tampered with, and whether power and sensor wiring
    was cut. So, the requirement for zwave inputs started growing rapidly and the related expense quickly outpaced ZUNO.
    I tried MIMOLITE using ADC input with a voltage ladder to determine which sensor or intrusion detector was triggered
    but the ADC value is not immediate.

ZUNO is implemented with a SKETCH defining twelve digital inputs and four PWM outputs intended for landscape
    lighting when a zone is triggered.

Because of the long wire runs to each IR transmitter and receiver, and detection of both triggers and device
    tampering, I decided to implement 12v detection on the wire runs and use opto-isolators to buffer the ZUNO 3.3v pins from
    outside 12V long wire runs. No need to expose more sensitive ZUNO electronics to potential wire shorts spikes, etc.

While preparing the SKETCH and testing the ZUNO, I contacted the ZUNO team and they responded quickly and thoroughly every time!

Current issues:
    1) Triggering Child 1 also results in homeseer seeing Child 9 triggered. This double triggering moves with different SKETCHES.
    2) Only three PWM child devices are created. None of the PWM devices enable the PWM outputs of the ZUNO. This seems to be a homeseer
    issue. I created a SKETCH with only four PWM devices and it works fine. There seems to be a probme with homeseer.

Test Environment - HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.548 (Linux), Z-Wave version 3.0.1.262

Prod Environment - HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548 (Windows), Z-Wave version 3.0.2.261

Interesting. I may have missed it but can you provide which IR fences did you use?

Any pictures to show how hidden this setup is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi John. Sorry I didn't see this question until now.

I purchased several of these
      Wired 250M Triple Beam Photoelectric Infrared LED Detector Tamper Alarm on ebay from seller bestcollection999. The sender and the receiver are not tiny, call it the size of a 1 quart milk carton.

Some of my installation are recessed into the hedges. Others are in plain sight.

For the recessed ones, they are not really visible until the person or car is passing them. For the ones in plain sight, the goal is to dissuade if an intruder even knows what they are.

These units have tamper switches so if an intruder smashes it the zwave signal will be sent anyway as a tamper indication and/or a trip condition depending on which unit, transmitter or receiver, is damaged.

Also, they are mounted at such a height that critters wont trigger them. A person could limbo under then or leap over them.

I thought about stacking them so that a virtual wall is created. Not implemented, just considered.

Check ebay, search something like:
      https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ared+&_sacat=0

These seem to be much more compact and could be hidden more easily. I have not purchased these but am considering them for areas such as basement windows and under porch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wired-Wirel....c100005.m1851

Comment

Working...
      X