No announcement yet.

How to to have control of my doorbell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to to have control of my doorbell?

Hi,

I would like to know how I could get control of of my existing doorbell?

I mean I would like to add something to cut the contact between right side wire and the terminal screw. I know when I disconnect this wire, my doorbel stop ringing ( so we can sleep in the morning).

Some type of relay would fit this i guess. Small is better.

I already have z wave , zigbee (conbee) protocol.
    I want it to stay local.

anybody have a suggestion, or aomething I didn’t check that i Shall check again?

thanks!!
    Attached Files

There are all sorts Z-wave and Zigbee dry contact relays that you can purchase to hookup like you have mentioned at the doorbell. Most I have seen require power and do not run on batteries so placing it in the doorbell could be a problem since the only power you have there is 16VAC.

The doorbell requires a transformer to provide power. As you can see in the little schematic on the doorbell it shows a transformer. Often times (at lease in the USA) this transformer is located near or in your circuit breaker box. Here is the picture of my doorbell transformer attached to my circuit breaker box. The external wires you see are the low voltage (in this case 16 VAC) wires the go to the doorbell. Inside the breaker panel the transformer is hooked to the lines voltage (here in the USA 110 VAC).

​​

You could wire the high voltage side of the transformer to something like a HomeSeer PA100 or other type of module that will turn off the lines voltage. Or you could use a z-wave or Zigbee dry contact relay to switch the low voltage side. Since you would be doing at the breaker panel you will have power to run the device you would install.

Comment

hi drhtmal. Thanks for this explanation. Unfortunately I can't see the picture you sent.

Comment

Disregard the camera but the explanation of the wiring : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti2Tlyca9wM It's all in the details.

Eman.
        The People's Advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
          Hi,

I would like to know how I could get control of of my existing doorbell?

I mean I would like to add something to cut the contact between right side wire and the terminal screw. I know when I disconnect this wire, my doorbel stop ringing ( so we can sleep in the morning).

Some type of relay would fit this i guess. Small is better.

I already have z wave , zigbee (conbee) protocol.
          I want it to stay local.

anybody have a suggestion, or aomething I didn’t check that i Shall check again?

thanks!!
          If you can only get at the doorbell itself, getting a suitable supply could be an issue. You could get a low voltage relay (say 12v DC) and connect the coil contacts to a thin paired wire and run it to your nearest mains socket. Using a Z-wave plugin outlet you would use a small 12V wall wart to supply the relay. Obviously you would use the relay contacts to break the bell circuit. I would use the N/C (normally closed) contacts so if you disconnect the wall wart, you bell will work as normal.
          Jon

Comment

Do you love the sound of that doorbell? If you can live without it, and you have a way to play HS audio in your home, I would suggest a 10 minute SUPER EASY solution. Add a z-wave door sensor to your bell and then remove the chime bars. Let HS play a sound when you want a sound. We have a Jetson's doorbell sound.

We left the chime bars on it for an odd reason. Don't particularly like the very old fashioned sound, but.....when our dogs (beagles) bark, the chime bars resonate, they hear it and it makes them stop barking.... ALMOST ready to buy an additional doorbell that we can put on the wall just for the dogs and remove the chime bars from our original....

So, in this configuration, we cannot control when the bell rings downstairs, but we can control what gets played upstairs and also any other event we wish based on the doorbell button being pushed.

Comment

If the doorbell transformer is dedicated to the door bell, you could control the 110v side of it with a zwave / ZigBee switch or a nano switch This would shut off the power to the doorbell and the outdoor button.

I suppose this depends on where your transformer is located. Mine is inside the main circuit panel.

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
                If the doorbell transformer is dedicated to the door bell, you could control the 110v side of it with a zwave / ZigBee switch or a nano switch This would shut off the power to the doorbell and the outdoor button.

I suppose this depends on where your transformer is located. Mine is inside the main circuit panel.
                Brilliant! Super easy. I love this forum because just when you think there are no more solutions, someone comes up with something else brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post

That is exactly what I said in post #2.

It really does not matter if it is inside the breaker panel or outside the panel like mine is.

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                    Do you love the sound of that doorbell? If you can live without it, and you have a way to play HS audio in your home, I would suggest a 10 minute SUPER EASY solution. Add a z-wave door sensor to your bell and then remove the chime bars. Let HS play a sound when you want a sound. We have a Jetson's doorbell sound.

We left the chime bars on it for an odd reason. Don't particularly like the very old fashioned sound, but.....when our dogs (beagles) bark, the chime bars resonate, they hear it and it makes them stop barking.... ALMOST ready to buy an additional doorbell that we can put on the wall just for the dogs and remove the chime bars from our original....

So, in this configuration, we cannot control when the bell rings downstairs, but we can control what gets played upstairs and also any other event we wish based on the doorbell button being pushed.
                    I think i'll go with your suggestion! But need to check the wiring. When i leave the place i will have to put the wiring like it was before. And.... to respond.. no I completely dislike the sound of that doorbell LOL

Just uploaded a picture. So will attempt to go with the 3rd option
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post

you had access to the two wires of the pus button?

Comment

can i go with the second option on the image i posted in my last post, with a relay and a dry contact sensors , but would not connect the bell.

Comment

You don't need access to ANY wires. You can leave the doorbell and wiring exactly as it is. You just need to place the door sensor near the chime plunger. The magnetic field created when the doorbell is activated will activate the door sensor.

The two black wires you see on there are for our RING DOORBELL. Disregard them and the Ring transformer. All you need is the door sensor (which in my pic above is right below the Ring transformer.

Comment

Working...
                          X