Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waking up a pc without wol

Hi,

i am wondering if anybody here know of an hadware way to short the power pin to make a computer turn on.

I have tried everything on one of my pc and i can make the wol working. So i am wondering if there is a hardware way to turn on a computer wirelessly?

my Mb is a Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI-CF (BIOS F50). only the lan is connected

Hi ,
    Not to tell you how to suck eggs but when you say 'tried everything' does that include both the BIOS settings and the Windows adapter settings?
    And is this WOL from sleep or power off?
    With the standard ATX power supplies you can briefly short some pins (https://www.instructables.com/id/How...-without-a-PC/) to boot up the power supply. You could also just use the MB power on pins.
    iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by mminehan View Post
      Hi ,
      Not to tell you how to suck eggs but when you say 'tried everything' does that include both the BIOS settings and the Windows adapter settings?
      And is this WOL from sleep or power off?
      With the standard ATX power supplies you can briefly short some pins (https://www.instructables.com/id/How...-without-a-PC/) to boot up the power supply. You could also just use the MB power on pins.
      yes tried everything i can think of in the bios, and in windows.

I tried to wol a shutted down pc. It works in my living room but not on this computer.

thanks for the links. i am searching a way to do it remotly, like a small wifi board into my case that could short the powon on pins

Comment

Hi MattL0,

I don't know if this is something that would be helpful.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JrcQ0s55JU

He uses HA, but the esp wireless chip and optocoupler is generic and could be used with Homeseer.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by dbvanb View Post
          Hi MattL0,

I don't know if this is something that would be helpful.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JrcQ0s55JU

He uses HA, but the esp wireless chip and optocoupler is generic and could be used with Homeseer.

Bruce
          Iam not use to wmo etc, board, but this seems to be a nice rpoject to start ! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
            ...my Mb is a Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI-CF (BIOS F50). only the lan is connected
            Have you tried searching their web site or perhaps contacting their tech support? Here is an FAQ that seems to say thatit does support WOL

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...rt#support-faq

Comment

Windows 10 does not support WOL from Shutdown (S4 or S5 states) : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...and-windows-10

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

This is what is confusing me. I already saw that, so in the past I was using s4 to be able to wol my living room pc.
                Now I send this command remotly to shutdown the computer : shutdown /s ( i guess this is s5)
                when it is off i can wake it up with a wol . But if i close the pc with the power button , it wont respond to wol. ( maybe this is g3 ??)

The other pc that i sent the motherboard infos, does not behave like that. it just wake up if it is s4 or below s3 state.

Comment

Yes, it's all very messy.
                  Our HS server and other bits (BI server, networking gear, and NAS etc) are all connected to a rack mount Ups that will run everything for about 40 minutes after which they Shutdown gracefully. I have set the BIOS to power on when power is restored. But a problem occurs when power is restored during the Shutdown process. The BIOS power on is not triggered as the PC never actually lost power, it's just shutting down. So I have tried various WOL optiotns without any real reliability.
                  The next thing I am going to try is a 'smart' to power board that will allow me to remotely power cycle the individual power sockets.

Comment

Originally posted by mminehan View Post
                    But a problem occurs when power is restored during the Shutdown process. The BIOS power on is not triggered as the PC never actually lost power, it's just shutting down.
                    For APC UPS, there is a setting that allows the PC to turn off the UPS at the last step of the PC's shutdown (UPS delays a short time to allow the PC to complete shutdown). This seems to eliminate that issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post

For APC UPS, there is a setting that allows the PC to turn off the UPS at the last step of the PC's shutdown (UPS delays a short time to allow the PC to complete shutdown). This seems to eliminate that issue for me.
                      That works if only 1 PC is connected to the UPS. But if you have multiple PCs and a NAS etc connected then that does not work reliably as the PC controlling the UPS will not really be aware of what state the other devices are in (shutdown, shutting down, or restarting). My UPS is controlledby the by a NAS (the most important device) which hosts a SNMP server. That way the other PCs can see the state of the UPS.

What is required in graceful shutdown and restarting of multiple devices connected to a single UPS. You would think this could be achieved by a single controlling device (e.g. a PC or NAS) that sends WOL to shutdown devices once power is restored. I have a script on my NAS that does exactly that.....sends magic packets for a couple of PCs on restart. But it's not that easy as Windows 10 for example doesn't wake up from the shutdown state (S4 or S5) is very easily.

So I am looking into options like smart/managed power strips.

Comment

Working...
                      X