No announcement yet.

Vibration sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The circuit I did interfaced the AC output of the Radar sensor's speaker to the DS10A. I also used a H11F1 rather than a relay so the circuit would be 100% solid state. Pin 1 of the H11F1 goes to the 1K resistor. The image posted overlays the connection so it looks as if both the 1K and the H11F1 pin 1 are connected to ground.

You should be able to replace the H11F1 with the relay if you wish.

The vibration sensor goes in place of the Radar Motion Detector with the same power/ground connections and the speaker output mapped to the pin 5 of the vibration sensor.

You can also eliminate some of the signal conditioning components since you will not have a negative voltage level that was produced by the radar detector. That should be the .68uf and diode which are replaced with wires.

The.22uf and 10K were selected based upon the audio frequency charge time and then discharge after the sound stops. They should be OK for this virbation sensor, but if not then play with the values. It may be case that the vibration sensor pin 5 can be feed directly into the 555 pin 2. You would then also be able to eliminate everything to the left of the right1K in the circuit.

You will need to retain the 555, 1M, 1K, and 47uf and retrigger NPN as a minimum since that establishes the single long pulse from a edge input.

If you do need to invert the pin 5 output you need the 47K, 2.2K and 2nd NPN.

9VDC should work for the 555 if I recall. I used 12VDC because that was what was provided by the radar motion detector.

Comment

OK, thanks a lot!

Electrolytic capacitor has arrows going 1 way... Is it from 9VDC to ground or ground to 9VDC?
      Never mind - it's 9VDC to ground (The arrow points to ground)
      THanks,
      Chris

Comment

Has any body figured out what to do when the machine stops for a refill of water,then starts its another cycle? I could imagine it will cause a false event becuase it hasnt finish the cycle(clothes ready to pull out). My waf is very interested but must figure out this situacion......
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I think what others have done is to characterize the durations of the cycles and based upon this pattern know what stage the washer is in and when it is truely finished.

Comment

What do you mean"characterize"???????

And what is the reaction of HS when the sensor is activated (speaks,sounds a bell ....?)

What is the trend, script or event?

thanks Micheal
            Hector
            MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

If your washer cycle is OFF, fill for 5 minutes, soak for 10, wash for 15, spin for 5, OFF then you have a pattern of vibration (or power consumption) that follows these five states. In this example you would trigger HS to do something when vibration = OFF after vibration = ON for at least 15 minutes. When you do this you want to signal condition your vibration/power state so transition times are filtered-out. For example, never indicate a vibration change unless 15 seconds elapses in the new potential state. Plugins such as mcsMovement or DooMotion help with the signal conditioning, but could be done via script too. I have not used it, but the powertrigger plugin may also be able to help with triggering without use of scripts.

The event action is whatever you want to use for notification purposes. An X10 chime could be used, an Audrey LED, a betabrite message, a whole house TTS etc.

Comment

Sorry to revive an old post, but I didn't see any newer than this one in 2007.

Looking to read whether the washer and/or dryer are running. They are stacked, so I'm sure I'll have to deal with that later....

But I wondered if anyone had recent experience with either a vibration sensor or geophone sensor for this, and most importantly which one // where to get it??

I found some dead links on older posts for these, and I don't want to spend $$ on something I know nothing of......
                I also saw other posts on things that monitor the electricity or need wiring in, but I was looking for the least expensive, easiest 'thing' that would offer a simple on/off signal of sorts, to read into HS2 with something like a powerflash (have two unused spares) or a DS10a (I see x10 with a 6-for-1 sale). Just trying to spend wisely on a solution instead of "buy-try-fail" (negative WAF there).

Thanks all
                DH

Comment

If the WAF factor can deal with some goofy looking things, and depending on the model of your washer dryer,

the cheapest, easiest solution I've read about, is to mount a magnet on the dial for either washer or dryer, and then put a reed switch so it's triggered when it's off... Run those wires to the powerflash.
                  Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Right, and that's not necessarily the prettiest. I have extended warranties on the washer & dryer now or I might think of wiring up to them. Still thinking there must be a good source for a good vibration snsr or geophone that could work.

Also though- with your mention (and others) of using magnets... if I used the PowerFlash, wouldn't it flood the x10 line with signal in one mode (or the other) ? Like, while running & magnets not contacting, the powerflash goes nuts the whole time until the cycle ends & the magnets are near again?
                    Seems I remember something about putting a relay in-line. Not sure. I'm a PC geek but not a soldering-iron geek..... so I might be able to pull it off if it's simple.

Then of course last night I mentioned to the wife, my fun idea of grandeur, and heard
                    "You don't do the laundry now though, so don't worry about it!"

I'd like to think if I was aware she had it running, and it finished, I might take part & help out :-) never know how it'll all work out though !

Comment

I just double-sided taped the magnets to the washer's and drier's dial.

Didn't void any warranties.

--Dan
                      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I use some Current Sensors from CR Magnetics to monitor my Washer and Dryer.

See this thread (and/or search boards for CRMagnetics)

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...511#post617511

I tied mine into the Joystick Input (Stipus plugin gamepad/joystic monitoring).. but i think i read a power flash works well.

It works extremely well.. and has high WAF

I have an event set that if the Status of the dryer or washer is off for exactly 2 minutes.. it announces "Washer is finished" / "Dryer is finished" .. this prevents triggering if someone just opens the dryer to throw another towel in after it is started.. and the 2 minutes works well on the washer since the "Fill Cycle" does not draw enough current to set the status..

I just made an extension cord for each appliance.. put the CR Magnetics sensor on one wire of the cord.. and have the Output of the CR magnetic close a low voltage relay... the contacts of the relay are wired to a hacked gamepad.

I think the powerflash would be easier.. but i don't have X10 in my house except for RF.. so i had to find a different I/O solution for my setup.
                        Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Originally posted by ArbWare View Post
                          I use some Current Sensors from CR Magnetics to monitor my Washer and Dryer.
                          Exactly what I'm doing, however I ran into a few problems..

I tied mine into the Joystick Input (Stipus plugin gamepad/joystic monitoring).. but i think i read a power flash works well.
                          I'm using a DS10a (x10rf) instead of the joystick plugin. Maybe I'll have to try that instead of the DS10a....

I just made an extension cord for each appliance.. put the CR Magnetics sensor on one wire of the cord.. and have the Output of the CR magnetic close a low voltage relay...
                          I'm also using a modified extension cord. I'm not using a low voltage relay though, it was some other circuit discussed on this board, and that might be where the majority of my problems come from... either that or the ds10a

Do you have any more info on the low voltage relay you used?

Thanks.
                          Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

FYI: B. G. Micro has geophones back in stock currently, they're even on sale at the moment.

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?Pag...D&ProdID=10783

Comment

Working...
                            X