• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outbackrob
    replied
    Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
    Rob,

That seems like a lot of planning.

I mean to have Rosie play sounds based on what is going to be eaten for dinner.

Doesn't that seem like a lot more work?

--Dan
    Dan, Its actually really easy. We have a bunch of different playlists associated with different kinds of food! Wife or I can send an email and choose which playlist to play. If I get home before her and something is playing, I know what she wants. If we change our mind or for whatever reason, we have a PalmPad in the kitchen that has playlists associated with On/Off on 9-16. Sometimes our 5yo likes to play completely different music than what we are eating. Oh, we also just added a "Screw cooking! Lets go out for dinner!!" playlist!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    replied
    I was going to use something like Anogee, however, I enede up with a dynamic webpage which can be viewed on any Audrey in the house. I also coordinate the LED status with the messages to indicate that one should see the messages if necessary.

Now, the only thing I need to take care of is sometimes the system seems to be asleep and I wake it up when I move in a room (instead of hte normal "FAST" reaction I get a slightly delayed reaction to sensor triggers...just starting to see this...not sure what I changed if anything to start this).

--Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What do you use for the two line message board?
    My message board is an Alpha 4120C Sign that is driven by the LEDAM plugin. I also have a 7160C, but it is rather big. Don't use it currently.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Rob,
    You do, indeed, sound fortunate. But the thing that stands out are your repeated references to 'we'. You are clearly having fun together. What gets automated and how - how subtle or in-your-face it is, how simple or complex - is not the issue. It's how well the result meets the needs of everyone in the household.

When only one person is into HA-- and especially if it's important to that person (often male) to control things, that is where problems can get serious. Having an HA installation that meets the needs of everyone in the household is obviously more of a challenge when styles differ, but that provides an opportunity to learn skills that go way beyond HA, like listening and compromise, skills it sounds like you already have.

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    replied
    Rob,

That seems like a lot of planning.

I mean to have Rosie play sounds based on what is going to be eaten for dinner.

Doesn't that seem like a lot more work?

--Dan

Leave a comment:

• outbackrob
    replied
    Fortunate guy

After reading a lot of these posts, I feel like I am a very fortunate guy. When I first met my wife-to-be, I happened to tell her that I had just changed my front door bell to sound like the Jetson's door bell. She thought that was "Cool" so I took a chance and told her about a lot of the other stuff I had done to my house. She LOVED it. Nearly three years later we are married and have pretty much automated everything. We have DS10's on the doors of the Frig/Freezers/microwave/dishwasher/pantry/etc.... that play a sound when opened (Pantry sounds like a little piggy. Since we microwave a lot of bacon, the microwave says "Bacon bacon bacon, ITS BACON!"....) and play a crowd cheer when closed (because we forgot to close them after use) In the mornings its quite noisy..... My 5yo step-son loves it. He also loves his traffic light in his room that corresponds to his behavior at school. If he gets a green light (good behavior) my wife sends an email when she picks him up and "Rosie" will turn on the green light on the traffic light. A red light means no TV and "Rosie" will shut off the appliance module that powers the TV. During dinner time, "Rosie" announces how many days it is to certain holidays and birthdays. She also plays appropriately themed music depending on what we have for dinner. (Tonight its Italian!) She also announces weather warnings and motion detection around the house. On top of that, she plays a rooster sound on the outside speakers at dawn and welcomes us with a variety of information when we come home. .....Its quite noisy around here. ALL of the above has been with the acceptance and even guidance of my wife. WAF hit 101% when we added a MUTE ALL when "Rosie" determines that a phone call is from someone we want to talk to! Depending on the guests, "Rosie" tones things down a bit, but for the most part its noisy as usual. Our friends kids love it too.

The next project is probably RF. We want to know where the kiddo is and whether bikes or boats have left the garage. Perhaps "Rosie" will sound an alarm and/or turn off the power to the garage door opener unless kiddo has confirmed the parental permission status is "Yes." Who knows, but the nosier the better!

I am a fortunate guy! eh, a fortunate GEEK, I should say..... I have high WAF! ...and ya know, with her adding things on her own, she has high HAF!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    replied
    my wife likes to have things automated...when they work.

She is VERY understanding when they don't. Generally I've seen people state "I use a catch to make sure the automation only runs when I tell it to, so I can experience the issues and fix them"
    My family allows me to use them all as guenea pigs, so long as it's only one thing at a time that's broke/being implemented.

I try to keep things simple, and try to make sure that it's unseen in the backround for doing daily e-mails, weather, garage door. The automated lighting is the best feature. They are not on a timer, and we also have the "magic" button to set the house to sleep mode.

The best feature that my family likes the best of all the automation is the automated lights. Especially if you have to "go" late at night. The lights come on "different" so you do not get blinded. Also, depending on when I go to bed, in relation to the rest of the house, my wife might "accidentally" set the house to sleep (to make the Audrey's stop blinking trying to get attention for the messages that it has)...but you move around in the room, and the lights come back on.

I'm going to do a little bit more complex case statment type of sleep so that if someone is in a room, I can prevent a "go to sleep" action from turning off lights that are really in use.

--Dan

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    replied
    Originally posted by TechnoCat View Post
    Now I can turn on my house lights from my cell phone, anywhere, and I can also check on the puppy via webcam from my cell phone from anywhere. But it's all still just about convenience and enabling us.
    Techno, what software do you use for the webcam over your cellphone?

I resorted to just viewing stills...

--Dan

Leave a comment:

• bpm32
    replied
    This thread has been a very interesting read. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this endeavor to find that "perfect" balance. (if there is such a thing!)

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and experiences... I can see it's time for some adjustments here.

Leave a comment:

• AutomatedOutlet
    replied
    I like to keep it simple. Keep announcements to a minimum or you will face the wrath of the spouse.

It's can be a challenge automating as much as possible will keeping everyone in the house happy.

Leave a comment:

• TechnoCat
    replied
    I began "automation" because my significant other had SAD. In the winter she became unpleasant and passive, resulting in someone who would refuse to turn on lights to make herself feel better.

So I started with a cheap timer attached to a halogen light and a nice stereo with a timer.

Eventually I bought an X10 starter kit and kinda liked it since the light could go on different times on different days and we could also turn it on-and-off ourselves. (The mechanical timer didn't make that easy.) And then I added remote control of a light near the T.V./sofa. And then of a space heater on a virtual timer for the mornings...

I never showed mine off really, even after installing a Leopard right above our alarm panel. The point of that was just a centrally-located remote with feedback for doing things like setting the "Exercise" sequence (which involves four switches in different places otherwise), the "ETA" which turns on lights for five minutes, turns them off, and then lights up the place roughly when we think we'll be back, and so on.

The serious gear-shift came when Y2K hit. All my computers were fine but the house crashed. So I got more hardcore about it, including upgrading from the X10 look-and-feel. Now I can turn on my house lights from my cell phone, anywhere, and I can also check on the puppy via webcam from my cell phone from anywhere. But it's all still just about convenience and enabling us. We have one motion sensor, on dark stairs, and no speech recognition. My wife's favorite feature is the "Magic Button" that allows us to turn off everything from bed.

So the only philosophy is, "That itches too? I know how to scratch that!"

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
    cool - our company uses Altiris - good luck with the test!
    thanks for the good luck... but didnt do it... failed by 1 fricken question....

so resheduling for tuesday.... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
    ~Jeff
    Altiris ACP shooting for Altiris ACE today!!!!!
    cool - our company uses Altiris - good luck with the test!

Leave a comment:

• TeleFragger
    replied
    well since my wife hates the home automation.. thinks it is a waste of time and money... I will say...

I have my garage automated... for me...
    ~~~lights come on when someone enters.. I just dont like the long delay.. maybe 3 seconds
    ~~~3 bar lights come on (appliance modules control neon signs)
    ~~~air compressor on and off
    ~~~ power tools outlet on and off
    pool automated - for her and she uses that from the status page
    door sensors on
    ~~~shed
    ~~~utility room
    ~~~both garage doors
    ~~~garage door to house
    my desk lamp every morning for work...

only light that comes on for someone other than me is for my son.. for school.. his light...
    I have so much more I want to do but have to keep it where it doesnt effect her...however during xmas... a push of the button and all lights in the house come on and last year I got away with her letting HS turn on the outside lights during sun down.... that was cool...

I am studying for a test that I take in 2hrs!!!!!!
    but once that is out of the way I have to work on my truck...
    then I want to start getting my temp sensors into every room... I think that will be a nice touch that she may like.. certain rooms of ours get HOT while others get really cold.....

so we will see....
    ~Jeff
    Altiris ACP shooting for Altiris ACE today!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    As a simple example, we have nearly no situations where the light in a room comes on automatically when someone enters.
    That's probably a good example of how different things work for different people. I asked my family a while back to prioritize what they like best, and turning lights on automatically (e.g. garage lights, kitchen lights, etc.) was near the top of the list. I didn't think it would be, but my wife *REALLY* likes the fact that lights turn on automatically. Some of it is probably because I am on business travel fairlly often, and she is a bit paranoid.

Steve

Leave a comment:

Working...
X