Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another question - integration with Kohler Performance Showers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another question - integration with Kohler Performance Showers?

Has anyone seen integration with the Kohler performance showers? I've got the full setup and a 7kW steamer, if it's possible to integrate I'd like to do it now before the tile guys get here and it's harder to get to the backsides of the control boxes. I've already dropped 2 Cat5 lines in there just in case, was wondering if anyone had seen it done.

Thanks
    Jim

http://www.us.kohler.com/performance...11&nitem=cat11

Overkill

Personally, I think you are waisting your money. The Kohler SoundTile speakers are nice and reasonably priced. But, to have a separate sound system just for your shower is a bit much. I can understand having a multiroom audio system like Sonos with multiple pair of speakers, one pair of which happen to be in the shower.
    Bottom line is that this is a proprietary system and the best case you have is to use IR blaster with IR controller connected to HomeSeer. But then again WHY? You would listen in the shower and the control is right there with you in the show.

I don't get it.
    F

Comment

Sound system? The controller controls the valves and customizes the shower experience, i.e. cycling through the various showerheads at different times etc. I use Yamaha MusicCast for my WHA because the wifely sort works for Yamaha's motorsports division and we get a kickin' discount.

What I'm looking for as far as integration is to have my morning wake-up routine start up the shower and set it to my preferences instead of hers at the same time it fires up the coffeemaker, starts my truck, turns the bathroom fan and lights on, and turns the bathroom TV on to CNN.

Comment

Kohler spekers

Sorry, for my misunderstanding.

I was refering to
        http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...=1176778010678

and a sound controller that looks just like the performance in-wall controller. So, my post was to say that there is a much better way to get music in the shower then the expansive Kohler way.
        However, controlling the shower is a different story and definetly looks interesting. Unfortunatly, I am not familiar with the controls so I would not be able to tell you how to connect to HomeSeer. I have, however done something similar where I used in-wall lights Keypad to run relays to turn on particular valves. Hopefully, Kohler system has some type of PC interface or IR control, if so then it can be done.
        F

Comment

Well I finished plumbing today, and finally got around to looking at the controllers. The steamer controller has a 6-wire phone plug (between RJ11 & RJ45, too lazy to look it up), so making a breakout box and looking at the signals shouldn't be too difficult. The shower controller I'm not so lucky on. It has a proprietary 8-pin plug that looks like a cross between an S-vid and a mini-DIN I might be outta luck on this one and have to do things the old fashioned way.

Comment

music

Sorry to bother you with this again but, I just wanted to understand. I am pretty sure I saw this system at a PCBC show in San Francisco earlier this year. Kohler had a big display and that controller that has blue screen also controlled music. Can you please tell me if the system you have has any type of music control or associated with a Kohler music system that uses the SoundTile speakers?
            Thanks
            Felix

Comment

this has a big blue display, but it controls a digital thermostatic valve, and no sound.

in the ceiling i have one of these

then 6 of these in the front wall plumbed as 3 pairs, and 3 in the side wall all as one virtual unit

also a handheld showerhead (the message board limited me to linking 4 images)

The DTV controller

controls the thermostatic valve

which will turn on/off different sets of showerheads, pulse them in massage style, cycle through them and set temp based on the preferences of the person showering.

the steamer is much simpler as it's a traditional steam unit with a very simple digital interface. http://www.us.kohler.com/performanceshowers/steam.jsp

no sound system in the shower whatsoever.

Comment

Did you ever figure out a way to integrate the Kohler DTV system? I too have a steam generator and a DTV and am looking to add it. I'm betting the steam is pretty simple as you can breakout the keypad as I believe they are just membrane switches which can be emulated with digital I/O (relays); however the DTV is a big more complicated as the keypad itself does the processing. I'm hoping there is a way to at least emulate a press of a preprogrammed user setting button so that homeseer can start the shower in the morning

I'm thinking about making this my first JeeLabs controlled device.

Comment

More details here

You are mixing here two Kohler products.

The older version (that I have as well) has DTV control interface and valve actuators. Connection is over propitiatory cable/interface.
                  Any other thrills like steam, sound, lights are stand alone and not integrated in this early version of the DTV.

The newer version is called DTV II and has an additional box called "media server". It integrates lights, chromatherapy (color lights), steam, music along with the basic feature of controlling the valves that feed your shower head(s). I don't have DTV II but I hear that the extra "bells and whistles" are not worth the steep price of the media server of about $1,500 street price. The sound streaming is based on Roku but not supported by neither Roku nor Kohler and allegedly breaks all the time.

Regardless of what version you have controlling the valves (water supply to shower heads) by HomeSeer is not necessary IMHO because this is so strictly local action in the shower. Why would you want this to be scheduled or triggered event in HomeSeer. I'm hard pressed to find any reasoning for it.
                  Furthermore Kohler provides programming natively if you want to program your shower cycle and start it when ready to take the shower. This programming includes massage (start/stop cycles) water temperature change etc.

The steam is different story. You need to run steam ahead of time and it is very convenient to do it from your HS interface. Furthermore, Kohler has some stupid (lawyer inspired) restriction of 20 min. max for the steam to run. This is not enough to prep a cold shower room and if you do it manually you have to run 2-3 times to your already steamy shower to re-start it and get wet in the process. HS can save you that. Bottom line integrating the steam with HS makes a lot of sense.

I think you are wrong about the steam interface saying that those are just bubble buttons easy to emulate. The wall control box contains temperature sensor, clock and timer and the bubble buttons control the electronics in the box. The output of this box that goes to the steam unit most likely has only "start" and "stop" signals. The cable has more wires since it carries the power supply to the control box. This is easy to be emulated by HS with simple relays (if it is relay control) or by serial control (in the unlikely event that it is serial interface) and a little bit of electronics (depending on what are the logic levels).

Unfortunately the good news end here. Kohler is not wiling to disclose this interface and there is no information on the Internet about it. It seems that "sniffing" is on order. Any takers?

Comment

Shower door sensor

BTW if you want to remotely control your steam unit by HS, than please make sure that you install shower door sensor so that HS runs the steam only when the shower door is closed.

Comment

More details here

You are mixing here two Kohler products.

The older version (that I have as well) has DTV control interface and valve actuators. Connection is over propitiatory cable/interface.
                      Any other thrills like steam, sound, lights are stand alone and not integrated in this early version of the DTV.

The newer version is called DTV II and has an additional box called "media server". It integrates lights, chromatherapy (color lights), steam, music along with the basic feature of controlling the valves that feed your shower head(s). I don't have DTV II but I hear that the extra "bells and whistles" are not worth the steep price of the media server of about $1,500 street price. The sound streaming is based on Roku but not supported by neither Roku nor Kohler and allegedly breaks all the time.

Regardless of what version you have controlling the valves (water supply to shower heads) by HomeSeer is not necessary IMHO because this is so strictly local action in the shower. Why would you want this to be scheduled or triggered event in HomeSeer. I'm hard pressed to find any reasoning for it.
                      Furthermore Kohler provides programming natively if you want to program your shower cycle and start it when ready to take the shower. This programming includes massage (start/stop cycles) water temperature change etc.

The steam is different story. You need to run steam ahead of time and it is very convenient to do it from your HS interface. Furthermore, Kohler has some stupid (lawyer inspired) restriction of 20 min. max for the steam to run. This is not enough to prep a cold shower room and if you do it manually you have to run 2-3 times to your already steamy shower to re-start it and get wet in the process. HS can save you that. Bottom line integrating the steam with HS makes a lot of sense.

I think you are wrong about the steam interface saying that those are just bubble buttons easy to emulate. The wall control box contains temperature sensor, clock and timer and the bubble buttons control the electronics in the box. The output of this box that goes to the steam unit most likely has only "start" and "stop" signals. The cable has more wires since it carries the power supply to the control box. This is easy to be emulated by HS with simple relays (if it is relay control) or by serial control (in the unlikely event that it is serial interface) and a little bit of electronics (depending on what are the logic levels).

Unfortunately the good news end here. Kohler is not wiling to disclose this interface and there is no information on the Internet about it. It seems that "sniffing" is on order. Any takers?

Comment

What about the DTV+
                        https://youtu.be/Uc9UeEJYXDA

This is its components and how to install it

https://youtu.be/nQb7mhmyxec

Comment

Working...
                        X