MagicJack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MagicJack

Anybody else see this? Better yet, anybody use this little device yet?

Looks like a great alternative to Skype or other VOIP programs.

Wonder if it could be integrated into Homeseer for caller ID, last caller, etc.?

http://www.magicjack.com
    Bryan
    Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
    Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Interesting. looks like it is really affordable, too!!

Each magicJack costs $39.95 plus shipping and handling. This gives you one year of calling to the USA and Canada.
    You can purchase an additional year's service for $19.95

seems like it would integrate perfectly w/hs if you have HSPhone. I may keep an eye on this....
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

It's also portable so it should work on a laptop from remote locations as well.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

hmmm, cofee shop, wifi...not using cell minutes...i like it!!! (but then i may have to get a smaller "home phone"
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

There are some quirks with it. I got it about 3 weeks ago. The installation was simple (took less than 5 minutes to install). Most of the calls that I made sounded good. I would say that about 2 calls in every 10, there is interference on the line, so I hang up and make another call. What do you expect for about $1.50 a month for phone service. I would not get rid of my home phone service and just use Magicjack as of yet. I consider this as having a second phone line in my house. Pretty cheap!!!

If someone calls me, it always has sounded perfect, no interference as of yet. I am using this on Comcast cable for my internet so the connection is definitely fast enough.

I have not tried it with Homeseer Phone yet. You also get free voicemail and call forwarding with their system.

Comment

I tried to ask if this service can be available for Puerto Rico, but there customer service was'nt working.
            Hector
            MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Great to hear that it's for real. I'll be ordering mine on Thursday.

Originally posted by skozin View Post
              There are some quirks with it. I got it about 3 weeks ago. The installation was simple (took less than 5 minutes to install). Most of the calls that I made sounded good. I would say that about 2 calls in every 10, there is interference on the line, so I hang up and make another call. What do you expect for about $1.50 a month for phone service. I would not get rid of my home phone service and just use Magicjack as of yet. I consider this as having a second phone line in my house. Pretty cheap!!!

If someone calls me, it always has sounded perfect, no interference as of yet. I am using this on Comcast cable for my internet so the connection is definitely fast enough.

I have not tried it with Homeseer Phone yet. You also get free voicemail and call forwarding with their system.
              Bryan
              Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
              Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by skozin View Post

Skozin are planning any time soon in connecting this to HS?
                Hector
                MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

This device requires a phone to be connected to the jack, so as for portability, I don't see myself carrying a standard telephone with me and my laptop - that is where the integrated speaker and microphone with Skype would probably be better.

This could work with HomeSeer Phone - depends on whether there is dialtone and the required voltages on the line going to the phone. In fact, can you receive calls with the MagicJack? If you can, then that means around 90V RMS is being sent to the telephone to make it ring, which would really surprise me because boosting the 12V USB power to do that would make it really weak - in other words, you could not have it connected to all of the phones in your house, only one at a time.

Keep us posted as to how well it works.
                  Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Well I think they picked a great name
                    Over The Hill
                    What Hill?
                    Where?
                    When?
                    I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

I dunno about you guys, but it looks to me that this is not exactly a fairytale come true...

Read the user's reviews (not only the actual editor review) on this site for example... :

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/voip/magicJack.aspx

Comment

Yes the phone rings normally. I am using the same phone that I use around the house (Radio Shack 5.8ghz single line phone). I have tested it by calling to it from my main line phone or my cell phone and it rings like it should.

Like I said, once in awhile, when I make a call there is some type of interference on the line (Internet garble). When that happens, I just reinstall the software update, which is on my desktop and it takes less than a minute to run, and then the program suddenly works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by fran_joel View Post
                          I dunno about you guys, but it looks to me that this is not exactly a fairytale come true...

Read the user's reviews (not only the actual editor review) on this site for example... :

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/voip/magicJack.aspx
                          Here is another review site, this one has positive reviews. This site seems to be more up to date. Not saying the other is wrong or anything, it just seems like this site has a newer version (works with macs now).
                          http://yajtyler.blogspot.com/2008/02...ck-review.html

Just like anything else, buyer always takes the risk. I've spent more on other electronics before so why not.

I'm gonna try this with hsphone too using cordless phones. I'll let you know next week when it comes in! (crosses fingers)
                          Bryan

Comment

Great price but not so great product.

Doesn't work worth a hoot on Sympatico.ca hi-speed for me in Canada.

Noisy,choppy,static most of the time - undependable at best.

Not worth the money in my humble opinion !

Customer service is non - existant.
                            Neil
                            Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Noise and choppiness is usually due to a network issue rather than the use of VOIP or Magic. You should run a few tests here and see how well you score before blaming the Jack: http://www.testyourvoip.com

If you arent consistantly scoring 4 or above you have connection issues.
                              A good connection to the net should consistantly score 4.3 or 4.4 to your closest point.

Comment

Working...
                              X