Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is everyone mounting their Dallas DS18S20 temp sensors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is everyone mounting their Dallas DS18S20 temp sensors ?

I just purchased a Dallas DS9097 serial interface and 10 DS18S20 temp sensors. How is everyone mounting the temp sensors in rooms and outside ??

The "chip" seems to fragle to just stick out of the wall. If you mount it on a blank wall switch plate, how do you get the device to sense the room temp and not the internal wall temp ??

Thanks,
    BruceW

I mounted mine in a switchplate and it measures the room temp well. I sprayed expanding foam in the box to ensure the sensor would not be affected by air drafts in the wall.

Chuck.

Comment

... such as garages (mouned about 7 feet high), attics, crawl spaces, etc look at this mounting. It works good because if something goes wrong with the sensor you can simply unplug one and put in a new one.

-Rupp
      Attached Files
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Small kit box with holes in the sides and bottom. This houses my temp sensor and humidity sensor for the outside measurements. I mounted it in total shade 6 feet above ground under my deck railing.

-Rupp
        Attached Files
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

How high do you mount the sensor on a room wall ??

Comment

This seems to be the height that most of my readings have suggested.

-Rupp
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

I'm still waiting to receive my 1-wire kit but I have plans to mount the sensors using the plastic tops from used air fresheners.
              Once cleaned they have everything one needs. Vents for air circulation and are reasonably eay on the eye in the home decor. When I get the kit and make some up I will post the pics.

Comment

Clever idea! Mind if I borrow it? (I'll have to buy air fresheners for the purpose, but even so, that's great.)

I've just posted a question in another, older thread about this subject, but now I see this thread is newer, and maybe I should have posted it here.

Nucleus Home Automation
                News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

It really is difficult to find a way to mount the 1-wire temperature sensors without spoiling the decor within the house. This picture is an experimental housing using a UK telephone junction box.

Notice the slot, which is at the top and bottom of the box. This was cut using a Rotozip and allows air to flow freely when mounted vertically. It does seem to work. I like this approach as you can easily terminate the CAT5/telephone cable to the terminals.

Box size is 2.5" x 1.75" x 5/8" deep and is not that obtrusive mounted on a wall with the cables entering from behind.
                  Attached Files
                  Jon

Comment

The outside 1-wire temperature sensor has been mounted in a homemade pagoda. This consists of a number of plant saucers and 1" spacers.

Instead of just mounting the spacers in a line, I have staggered them to prevent direct heat radiation travelling down them from the top of the Pagoda. Other bits are standard 1" plastic plumbing connectors.

I have drilled a 2" hole in several of the middle plates to allow airflow and mount a humidity sensor (when I finally source one!)

May be useful for someone!

Jon
                    Attached Files
                    Jon

Comment

Do you have any pictures of the used air freshner tops? I can't picture in my mind what this would look like.

-Rupp
                      ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
                      -Rupp
                      sigpic

Comment

But here's a picture of the kind of air freshener that I think is the intended one (it's certainly the kind I planned to use):

It's a couple of inches across, and there's a base (with a sticky back) with air freshener in it, and a cover that snaps over it. The cover has all the little vents and can be turned to open or close the "stick up". Pop the cover off and mount it over an exposed sensor for concealment with ventilation. And these things come in twelve-packs for a buck or two in any drug store, variety store, or supermarket.

Nucleus Home Automation | System Specs
                        News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

Do these temperature sensors need air circulation holes in thier enclosures?
                          In a small enclosure, isn't the temperature going to be the same as the ambiant air temperature?

Warren

Comment

Probably. I think we are really only looking for something to cover them up. After a while the ambient air temperature would be about the same. Without the ventilation drafts wouldn't be picked up as good though.

-Rupp
                            ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
                            -Rupp
                            sigpic

Comment

I crimped my temp sensors onto an RJ11 plug The head of the device is about 1/2 inside and 1/2 outside the plug. It is so small that it really looks about the same with the sensor plugged into the wall plate as with the wall plate with nothing plugged into it. I have two wall plates in each room with a pair of cat5 and a pair of coax connectors on each. My temp sensors are run on the wire-pair that would otherwise be my 3rd phone line

Comment

Working...
                              X