Control Mitsubishi TV via RS-232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control Mitsubishi TV via RS-232

Mitsubishi's higher end TV's now (within approx 2years) has a RS-232 jack in the back for control. The technical specs for the protocol is located here

Mitsubishi RS-232

Is there anyone interested in this? I have started writing a (very) basic script. But am unfamiliar with the SendToComPort() command

Let me know if any interest

Has anyone looked into or developed a script

WOW actually works!!

I had a few errors (one typo and a wrong wire) but the script works. I've only tested one command (power on) and my TV is now on YEAA!

By the way i have the 65 inc Mitsubishi Gold Plus but this should work for any Mitsubishi with RS232.

The script is VERY rough right now but if any interest will post it. I'll work more on it tonight

Comment

FryGuy,

Do you have some more details on this. I have a six month old Mitsu WS55413. Is this a straight connection between the PC and the serial port on the TV? Can you get status back from the TV such as isOn?

This could be interesting and useful.

Comment

Full list of features Mitsubishi offers via RS-232 (as documented in above pdf)
        <UL TYPE=SQUARE>Power ON
        <LI>Power OFF
        <LI>Input Change
        <LI>Power Status Request
        <LI>Volume-UP
        <LI>Volume-DN
        <LI>Channel-UP
        <LI>Channel-DN
        <LI>Audio-Mute
        <LI>Input Up
        <LI>Input Down
        <LI>Channel Direct
        <LI>Format change
        <LI>INPUT MODE Request[/list]

Patrick, looks like you can ask the TV if it is on or not using 'Power Status Request'.

I have currently written all the commands out (in a Perl Script). But haven't tested them (will test tonight).

Currently don't have plans to impliment the 2 Requests (one for Power, other for current Input) simply because if i want to turn it on/off i'll send the on/off cmd first regardless if it is on or not since they give you discrete ON/OFF functionality.

I have the 65 inch Mitsubishi WS-65613 ... i looked up the specs on your model and looks like it will work as well.

I'll finish coding ver. 1.0 tonight and probably post it to the "Scripts Forum" and post a link here as well.

As for the wire, if i remember right it looks like the following:

2 &lt;----&gt; 3
        3 &lt;----&gt; 2
        5 &lt;----&gt; 5

All other wires shouldn't matter

Comment

Cool. Thanks fryguy. I wanted to know about the power on status because then you could have this following type of functionality:

Goodnight macro runs:
          If TV.IsOn Then
          'turn other equipment off
          End If

Since it only uses three wires, it will be easy enough to use a couple pair of my phone cat 5 to send the serial data from the HS server to the TV...

Thanks!

Comment

Here is a first cut at a rs232 script that controls Mitsubishi TV's.

All of the functions seem to work except for Channel Direct, INPUT MODE Request, Power Status Request.

The Mitsubishi protocol involves a return code letting you know if the cmd was successful or not, i have seen some timing issues that are causing things to fail (esp. powerOn needs time to actually turn TV on). I plan on using the error codes to retry commands up to a set number before actually failing.

Still work in progress, but feel free to see attached. Not documented yet, when i get a version i'm happy with i'll post it to the Scripts forum.

Comments welcome (this is my first Homeseer script)
            Attached Files

Comment

Cool...

Too bad my 65" is 5 years old. Have it under control via Ocelot IR. I guess that works too..

Let me know if you need help controlling this via MainLobby. Should be able to create button that will control Tv via MLHSPlugin to your HS script.
              HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fryguy:
                Full list of features Mitsubishi offers via RS-232 (as documented in above pdf)
                Power ON
                + Power OFF
                + Input Change
                + Power Status Request
                + Volume-UP
                + Volume-DN
                + Channel-UP
                + Channel-DN
                + Audio-Mute
                + Input Up
                + Input Down
                + Channel Direct
                + Format change
                + INPUT MODE Request

Patrick, looks like you can ask the TV if it is on or not using 'Power Status Request'.

I have currently written all the commands out (in a Perl Script). But haven't tested them (will test tonight).

Currently don't have plans to impliment the 2 Requests (one for Power, other for current Input) simply because if i want to turn it on/off i'll send the on/off cmd first regardless if it is on or not since they give you discrete ON/OFF functionality.

I have the 65 inch Mitsubishi WS-65613 ... i looked up the specs on your model and looks like it will work as well.

I'll finish coding ver. 1.0 tonight and probably post it to the "Scripts Forum" and post a link here as well.

As for the wire, if i remember right it looks like the following:

2 &lt;----&gt; 3
                3 &lt;----&gt; 2
                5 &lt;----&gt; 5

All other wires shouldn't matter <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh most excellent FryGuy!
                I have the Mits WS55613 and just love it! I came across the RS-232 docs a while back and downloaded them but have been too busy to do anyting with them. Now you have and WOW! Cool!
                BTW, How can I use Perl scripting within HomeSeer? Now if we could only figure out a way to DIRECTLY enter a channel number for the PiP window. As it is now if my PiP window is on channel 3 and I want to change the PiP window to channel 78, that is 75 presses of the PiP channel Up button on the renmote.
                Ideas???

P.S. I sure love my Mits and Voom!

Comment

It is very easy to get Perl scripts working with HomeSeer, just go here ActiveState and download the Perl interpreter. Install it and i think you should be up and ready.

I have been heavily working on a MainLobby to HomeSeer front end for a future HTPC which would eventually issue the RS-232 commands.

In fact there is a MainLobby plugin called MLRS232Send which i'm intending on using to send rs232 commands to my Mitsu TV.

Proposed setup is HomeSeer running in the basement which also has a binary application (built into MainLobby) that will send any MainLobby command to a MainLobby server across your network.

I then would write a MainLobby plugin to control Mitsu TV's via RS232
                  So HomeSeer would just call that binary.

Another solution which would be easier if you had a HS machine close enough or just ran a long rs232 wire is to just control it from HS in which case the above script will do it for you (if you workout some of the timing bugs).

As for PiP the Mitsu's don't seem to support any cmds via rs232 so i can't script them ... if you hear otherwise letme know and i'd be happy to help

Comment

Ha, I'm glad I'm not alone with automating the MITS! The day after I took delivery of a WS55813 I tossed together a plugin to power on/off the unit. I've been very busy with work related projects so haven't had time to expand on it.

I've also started a plugin to control the B&K AVR507 receiver if anyone is interested let me know.

-Nitrox

Comment

I've semi completed the script and posted it under "Scripts Library"

Here's a link http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...5506#130105506

Comment

Adatptation for Sony XBR5 RS-232 Control

Greetings! I have a Sony XBR5 LCD TV whose RS-232 protocol seems to be structured much like the Mitusbishi's in that it expects hex (not ascii) command strings and a simple checksum character. I am hoping to adapt your hard work evident in the mitsu script with my minimal software skills and effort by editing the specific codes associated with sepcific viewing and operational functions. I am a hardware guy, so my challenge is using perl (have never done so) and can barely fight my way thru VB.
                        What I do not see is the invocation to use when creating the TV event from within Homeseer that feeds the command sequence to your mitsu script. Did I not read your post close enough to find that? Can you give me some example event script parameters and describe how to lay them out so the script will understand?
                        Thank you very much. Danne Peterson - Dan the LAN Man - Poway, CA. USA

Comment

Working...
                        X